• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arcades

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I was a kid before video game consoles in home were really a thing, and even with the ones available, graphics on arcade games were much better, so I found myself spending a fair amount of my free time at the arcade.

Among my favorite arcade games in high school were:
  • Tempest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Galaga
  • Space Invaders
  • Frogger (a very educational game that helped me later in life when I worked delivering Amazon packages)
  • Star Castle
  • Donkey Kong Jr
How much time have you spend in an arcade? What were your favorite games?
I practically lived in the arcade. I liked Donkey Kong, Rampage, Galaga, Asteroids, Space Invaders, Robotron, Pole Position, Joust, Gauntlet, Dragon's Lair (despite it twitchy af) and a few more.

Whenever I was low on money, my go to was the original Star Wars game, one quarter and I was good for at least 45 minutes and could use the Force to blow up the Death Star. The arcade had the sit down version with stereo sound so it was like being in the cockpit of an X-wing. There was one guy who was just as good and the leader board was mostly our initials. Though, that could be because we monopolized it.

I also played Sega's Star Trek game. I didn't like it as much as Star Wars (despite being a Trekker) but the cabinet was totally badarse. It was the sit down model and the seat was Kirk's captain's chair with the controls on the armrests. It had surround sound and you would feel the vibration of torpedoes and hits. The best part was hearing Spock talk to you. As soon as you fired up the game, you'd hear the Star Trek tune followed by the botsun whistle and Spock saying, "Welcome aboard, Captain". Goosebumps!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Whenever I was low on money, my go to was the original Star Wars game, one quarter and I was good for at least 45 minutes and could use the Force to blow up the Death Star. The arcade had the sit down version with stereo sound so it was like being in the cockpit of an X-wing. There was one guy who was just as good and the leader board was mostly our initials. Though, that could be because we monopolized it.
We had one of those in the tech school rec room (I mentioned it in another thread recently). The back was loose on it, so you could open and flip the switch to 50 or so credits, so we could play for hours for free.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
We had one of those in the tech school rec room (I mentioned it in another thread recently). The back was loose on it, so you could open and flip the switch to 50 or so credits, so we could play for hours for free.
It's a good thing we didn't know that trick. As it was, with 2 players monopolizing the game, the owner was already losing money on it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I was a kid before video game consoles in home were really a thing, and even with the ones available, graphics on arcade games were much better, so I found myself spending a fair amount of my free time at the arcade.

Among my favorite arcade games in high school were:
  • Tempest
  • Donkey Kong
  • Galaga
  • Space Invaders
  • Frogger (a very educational game that helped me later in life when I worked delivering Amazon packages)
  • Star Castle
  • Donkey Kong Jr
How much time have you spend in an arcade? What were your favorite games?

Defender was the only arcade game I got really good at.

1709239457075.png

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The one with the caterpillar like critter that ran back and forth across the screen while dropping down a level each time it hit the screen edge...

I remember it was the first arcade game I saw with a track ball to control movement.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The one with the caterpillar like critter that ran back and forth across the screen while dropping down a level each time it hit the screen edge...

I remember it was the first arcade game I saw with a track ball to control movement.
Centipede, IIRC.

libre

Skylark
Almost everyone would've played it on a home console if they have at all, but I think Virtua Tennis is a really great arcade style game.
Probably the best sports game ever made, I don't care very much at all about Tennis.