• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anglican Tea Room!

lunamoth

Will to love
Actually, re-reading the above I'm not sure if I answered your question. If not, please let me know and I'll take another stab at it tomorrow.

good night!
luna

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
Haven't you heard the cliche?

No beer please, we're Anglican :p

How are you lunamoth? I followed you here hehe

I'd like some Assam and a choccy digestive please ^^

I would like to know what your attitudes are towards Ecumenism. Do you feel closer to the Eastern Orthodox Church than the Roman Catholic Church? I have long felt that Anglicanism is still too Roman - we have a long and illustrious history of Christianity in England and I think we need to draw more on the heritage of an Anglican heartland than that of a Church that we split from half a millenia ago :)

Secondly, what do you think of the recent recommendation by Carey that the next coronation should be a multi-faith affair? Should the Church of England still be a national church?

Nehustan

I was brought up High Church, am I allowed to pop in for a cup of Earl Grey ;) I'll make you a mint tea on a return visit.

(P.S. 'More tea Vicar?' the rallying cry of Betjeman's Britain ;))

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
lunamoth said:
Actually, re-reading the above I'm not sure if I answered your question. If not, please let me know and I'll take another stab at it tomorrow.

good night!
luna
We always used to refer to it as "Catholic Light": All the religion, half the guilt.

I am often astonished at the wide varience in approach and perspective. One parish may contain "Rite I" folks who despise homosexuality, and also "Rite II" folks who celebrated Robinson's consecration.

For all its "pomp and circumstance," and its reputation for being the "Frozen Chosen," I have always found Episcopalians to be warm, friendly, and accepting of others, as well as extremely gracious.

If I might take a stab at ecumenism, I know that the Episcopal Church is a member of CUIC -- "Churches Uniting in Christ," and that the Church takes a broad and welcoming stance on ecumenical efforts in general. I believe that (last I knew) the Episcopal Church had a concordat with the ELCA, working toward full intercommunion, and that efforts were being made toward full reconciliation with the Eastern Church.

lunamoth

Will to love
Wow! The bar, er, I mean tea room is open again! So great to have some more Anglicans/Episcopalians and others friends here.

lunamoth

Will to love
Elvendon said:
Haven't you heard the cliche?

No beer please, we're Anglican :p
Yes, I in the states it would be either wine or cocktails I think. But, actually I am a tea drinker myself.

How are you lunamoth? I followed you here hehe
I've been enjoying your posts over at CR. So great to have you around. :)

I'd like some Assam and a choccy digestive please ^^
Hmmm...looks like I need training for international hostessing I guess. What are those?

I would like to know what your attitudes are towards Ecumenism. Do you feel closer to the Eastern Orthodox Church than the Roman Catholic Church? I have long felt that Anglicanism is still too Roman - we have a long and illustrious history of Christianity in England and I think we need to draw more on the heritage of an Anglican heartland than that of a Church that we split from half a millenia ago :)
I consider myself a radical ecumenist. I'd love to see us all in communion, but I suppose we A/E's tend to be too progressive, esp when it comes to women priests and who knows what will happen with the homosexual Bishop thing; we may not be able to stay in communion even with ourselves. :( I do not know as much about the EOC as I do the RCC, but what little I know I really like. I would like to know more about it, but I think I hold some doctirines a bit too gently to 'make it' as either RCC or EOC. I like the Episcopal approach to doctrine. I am curious about how different the Episcopal Church USA feels from UK Anglicanism. There is a wide range here, some folks very RCC, others much closer to Protestantism. I'm a middle-wayer myself, I think.

Secondly, what do you think of the recent recommendation by Carey that the next coronation should be a multi-faith affair? Should the Church of England still be a national church?
I don't know anything about it, but would be interested to learn more. Can you fill me in on this or direct me to a (not too long) article? In general I don't really think too much about politcal affairs, although of course I stay informed so I can vote properly.

So great to have you aboard!

luna

lunamoth

Will to love
Nehustan said:
I was brought up High Church, am I allowed to pop in for a cup of Earl Grey ;) I'll make you a mint tea on a return visit.

(P.S. 'More tea Vicar?' the rallying cry of Betjeman's Britain ;))

*Pours some steaming Earl Grey* You are most welcome here kind sir. :) Earl Grey is also my favorite, especially with a little Godiva chocolate on the side. In fact, I invariably have a cup by my side when I sit down in the evenings to peruse RF.

Where are you serving mint?

luna

lunamoth

Will to love
sojourner said:
We always used to refer to it as "Catholic Light": All the religion, half the guilt.
Hehe, I've heard that one before.

I am often astonished at the wide varience in approach and perspective. One parish may contain "Rite I" folks who despise homosexuality, and also "Rite II" folks who celebrated Robinson's consecration.
I like this about the Episcopal Church. It's a pretty big tent, yet we are united where it counts.

For all its "pomp and circumstance," and its reputation for being the "Frozen Chosen," I have always found Episcopalians to be warm, friendly, and accepting of others, as well as extremely gracious.
Thank you for the kind words! But I'm sure that just like in any crowd you'll find both ends of the spectrum of acceptance and tolerance. I think I'm fairly central in most of my beliefs, solid in the Creeds, think that Spong goes a little beyond the pale, not into hellfire (although I have yet to meet a Piskey who is). You and I speak the same language Soj, Love is the Way.

If I might take a stab at ecumenism, I know that the Episcopal Church is a member of CUIC -- "Churches Uniting in Christ," and that the Church takes a broad and welcoming stance on ecumenical efforts in general. I believe that (last I knew) the Episcopal Church had a concordat with the ELCA, working toward full intercommunion, and that efforts were being made toward full reconciliation with the Eastern Church.
I think we have intercommunion with the ELCA now, but I'd need to verify. These days with two preschoolers I am out of the loop when it comes to much beyond worship and Sunday School. (I would like to identify a Spiritual Director; I had one briefly in MO before we moved, and I would very much like to find a way to take EFM, but again with two little kids and a husband who travels a lot, makes it hard). As I said above, I am very supportive of ecumenism and interfaith work. I always figure that if we work at Love then unity will follow.

So great to have you stop by Soj! Can I pour you anything?

luna

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
lunamoth said:
Yes, I in the states it would be either wine or cocktails I think. But, actually I am a tea drinker myself.

Hehe, though I do like real ale, I loooove my tea ^^.

I've been enjoying your posts over at CR. So great to have you around. :)

It's great to be around!

Hmmm...looks like I need training for international hostessing I guess. What are those?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assam_tea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Digestive

;)

I consider myself a radical ecumenist. I'd love to see us all in communion, but I suppose we A/E's tend to be too progressive, esp when it comes to women priests and who knows what will happen with the homosexual Bishop thing; we may not be able to stay in communion even with ourselves. :( I do not know as much about the EOC as I do the RCC, but what little I know I really like. I would like to know more about it, but I think I hold some doctirines a bit too gently to 'make it' as either RCC or EOC. I like the Episcopal approach to doctrine. I am curious about how different the Episcopal Church USA feels from UK Anglicanism. There is a wide range here, some folks very RCC, others much closer to Protestantism. I'm a middle-wayer myself, I think.

The Church of England is even more mixed than the Episcopal church I think. It appears to me (from ordaining a gay bishop) that the progressives may be more common in the states than they are in the UK. Conservative and Progressive Anglicans appear in closer to equal quantities over here. As far as homosexuality and women-priests go, I'm quite progressive, but theologically I've been told I'm quite close to Eastern Orthodoxy. We tend to have quite a-lot of high-church over here... how about you?

I've been enquiring into Eastern Orthodoxy ever since JamesThePersian pointed me in it's direction. If you'd like to find out more, this place is great:

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/

I don't know anything about it, but would be interested to learn more. Can you fill me in on this or direct me to a (not too long) article? In general I don't really think too much about politcal affairs, although of course I stay informed so I can vote properly.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2210096,00.html

I think if this is done, the monarch should cease to be the head of the Church of England - it should be made that the Archbishop of Canterbury should be.

Nehustan

lunamoth said:
*Pours some steaming Earl Grey* You are most welcome here kind sir. :) Earl Grey is also my favorite, especially with a little Godiva chocolate on the side. In fact, I invariably have a cup by my side when I sit down in the evenings to peruse RF.

Where are you serving mint?

luna

erm...I guess just after magrib....but we don't have a tea room, maybe I will erect a bedouin tent in lieu ;)

sojourner

I think we have intercommunion with the ELCA now, but I'd need to verify. These days with two preschoolers I am out of the loop when it comes to much beyond worship and Sunday School. (I would like to identify a Spiritual Director; I had one briefly in MO before we moved, and I would very much like to find a way to take EFM, but again with two little kids and a husband who travels a lot, makes it hard). As I said above, I am very supportive of ecumenism and interfaith work. I always figure that if we work at Love then unity will follow.

So great to have you stop by Soj! Can I pour you anything?

I did the whole EFM thing -- was a mentor for two years, as well. It's a great program, but it is time-consuming...and rather expensive...

In the morning, a hearty breakfast tea, in the afternoon, Earl Grey (It is an afternoon tea, you know), in the evening, China Gunpowder. All with a bit of sugar and a dash of milk. Cheers!

lunamoth

Will to love
Elvendon said:
Hehe, though I do like real ale, I loooove my tea ^^.
It's great to be around!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assam_tea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Digestive
Thank you for the 'educational' links. English Breakfast tea and graham crackers it is then! Just kidding. We Americans can be so gauche. Actually those Chocolate Digestives sound very nice.

The Church of England is even more mixed than the Episcopal church I think. It appears to me (from ordaining a gay bishop) that the progressives may be more common in the states than they are in the UK. Conservative and Progressive Anglicans appear in closer to equal quantities over here. As far as homosexuality and women-priests go, I'm quite progressive, but theologically I've been told I'm quite close to Eastern Orthodoxy. We tend to have quite a-lot of high-church over here... how about you?
Well, I think we have a lot of 'in-between' high and low church. The church I grew up in, a beautiful old stone thing on a picturesque lake in a small upstate NY town, and the two I've been a member of since, have seemed like 'high church' to me, in that they seemed very very similar to the RCC masses I've attended. The last church I went to, in MO, used the bells and incense a lot (even when it was not a holy day service), so I thought that was 'high church,' but I've been informed since then that actually this is not so 'high.' Guess I've never been to a real high church before, sniff, :( :shrug: but I'd really like to. I love the liturgy and sacraments, and I think the 'higher' the more I'd like it. I've never been to an Episcopal service that was as low-key as most other Protestant churches I've been to. Many of them do not even have the Eucharist each Sunday. Anyway, that sure was a lot of words to say "I'm not sure." :D

I've been enquiring into Eastern Orthodoxy ever since JamesThePersian pointed me in it's direction. If you'd like to find out more, this place is great:

http://www.orthodoxwiki.org/
Thank you, I would like to check that out some time. I enjoy James' posts and have found myself attracted to much of what I've learned about the EOC. I would love to go to an EO Mass sometime.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2087-2210096,00.html

I think if this is done, the monarch should cease to be the head of the Church of England - it should be made that the Archbishop of Canterbury should be.

Thank you for the article. I read it, but I really don't feel strongly one way or another about this. Seperation of church and state has worked pretty well as far as I'm concerned here in the US. And as for the Monarch being the official head of the Anglican Communion, well, I guess that does not really bother me one way or another either. Seems more of a diplomacy thing as far as your politics go, and more of a figurehead thing as far as the CofE goes.

Hey, I might, just might (keeping my fingers crossed), get to visit Ireland this September! I am not a world traveler (except for two trips to China when we adopted our girls, and a trip to Mexico for the first and only time last year), so this is a very big deal, a trip of a lifetime for me (if it happens). Any suggestions for Celtic Churches to check out there if I get to go?

luna

lunamoth

Will to love
Nehustan said:
erm...I guess just after magrib....but we don't have a tea room, maybe I will erect a bedouin tent in lieu ;)

A bedouin tent--cool! Hey, you all do need a tea room or something over in the Islam forum. And as for 'in lieu,' as long as it is not 'in the loo.' :D

liue-na

lunamoth

Will to love
sojourner said:
I did the whole EFM thing -- was a mentor for two years, as well. It's a great program, but it is time-consuming...and rather expensive...
Yes, it is a committment, but I thirst...

In the morning, a hearty breakfast tea, in the afternoon, Earl Grey (It is an afternoon tea, you know), in the evening, China Gunpowder. All with a bit of sugar and a dash of milk. Cheers!
I'm getting a great education in tea here. Hehe, leave it to brothers and cousins of the Church of England to know their tea. I drink coffee in the am, two or three cups at most, then my Earl Grey in the evening. Hey, it's always afternoon somewhere...

Soj...why did you leave the Episcopal Church, and more importantly, when are you coming back (tease, but I am curious about your path so far)?

luna

sojourner

I was reared in the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), and became an Episcopelican later on. I had taken the full course of EFM, had completed a unit of clinical pastoral training, and also had completed a two-year course in our diocesan school for ministry, all as part of the requirements as a postulant for Holy Orders. Then I got married. :cloud9:

Seminary was no longer an option for the new family, but I knew I had a call to ordained ministry. Soon after it became clear that this was not going to happen anytime soon (and I was pushing 40 with teenagers at home...) I received a call out of the blue from a friend of mine in a local Disciples congregation. She was on the pulpit search committee and wondered if I'd be interested in accepting a call from them. The rest is history...:liturgy:

I'm serving this congregation while I finish seminary. We'll see where God takes me after that...

Elvendon

Mystical Tea Dispenser
lunamoth said:
Thank you for the 'educational' links. English Breakfast tea and graham crackers it is then! Just kidding. We Americans can be so gauche. Actually those Chocolate Digestives sound very nice.

Oh they are! And the gauche is part of the charm ;)

Well, I think we have a lot of 'in-between' high and low church. The church I grew up in, a beautiful old stone thing on a picturesque lake in a small upstate NY town, and the two I've been a member of since, have seemed like 'high church' to me, in that they seemed very very similar to the RCC masses I've attended. The last church I went to, in MO, used the bells and incense a lot (even when it was not a holy day service), so I thought that was 'high church,' but I've been informed since then that actually this is not so 'high.' Guess I've never been to a real high church before, sniff, :( :shrug: but I'd really like to. I love the liturgy and sacraments, and I think the 'higher' the more I'd like it. I've never been to an Episcopal service that was as low-key as most other Protestant churches I've been to. Many of them do not even have the Eucharist each Sunday. Anyway, that sure was a lot of words to say "I'm not sure."

That's interesting, I always thought you Episcopals were more low church. Well, it was obviously an incorrect assumption! I love ritual too, though I wish it had more of a unique flavour. I've seen Catholic services, and they are quite similar to ours now they have abandoned the latin too (although we usually lack some of the bells and whistles.) I've often felt we need to find our own core statement of beliefs that makes us Anglicans (as opposed to Catholics, EO, or whatever), and our own wellspring of mystical, apostolic authority and inspiration.

Thank you, I would like to check that out some time. I enjoy James' posts and have found myself attracted to much of what I've learned about the EOC. I would love to go to an EO Mass sometime.

Yes, James has been kind enough to point me in the direction of my local EOC. I'm sure there is an American Orthodox that posts on this forum who knows your area.

Thank you for the article. I read it, but I really don't feel strongly one way or another about this. Seperation of church and state has worked pretty well as far as I'm concerned here in the US. And as for the Monarch being the official head of the Anglican Communion, well, I guess that does not really bother me one way or another either. Seems more of a diplomacy thing as far as your politics go, and more of a figurehead thing as far as the CofE goes.

True, but if s/he is crowned by other faiths, I don't think it is appropriate for him/her to be the head of the CofE (I don't know if the Queen is the head of the whole communion, I don't think she is...)

Hey, I might, just might (keeping my fingers crossed), get to visit Ireland this September! I am not a world traveler (except for two trips to China when we adopted our girls, and a trip to Mexico for the first and only time last year), so this is a very big deal, a trip of a lifetime for me (if it happens). Any suggestions for Celtic Churches to check out there if I get to go?

luna

Hm, well the main locations that are central to the Celtic Movement in Ireland tend to be locations associated with Saints - wells, shrines and mountains, rather than churches. Croagh Patrick is quite famous and is the site of Saint Patrick's meditation before he banished all the snakes from Ireland. Kells (the town in southern Ireland, not the Village in the north) is the site of a famous Abbey and the Book of Kells, a really beautiful illuminated set of Gospels (which is now kept in Trinity College Dublin) was written there. The west coast of Ireland is dotted with old cells that used to be stayed in by Celtic ascetics. If you are into the cult of female Saints - then Kildare, the seat of the Abbess Saint Brigid is a good place to visit. If you fancy swimming across the Irish Sea, then the isle of Iona in Scotland boasts a living Celtic-inspired Retreat, founded by Rev George MacLeod.
Broadly, when you plan your itinerary (and while you are out there) I'd contact the Church of Ireland. I'm sure they will be able to help point you in the direction of some shrines near to where you are visiting. Their central cathedral

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to go to Ireland yet (it's on my list of places to go while at Uni) But those are all the places on my itinerary, and they are important in the history of the Culdee Church.

Hope that helps