• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ancient Free and Accepted Masonry (a/k/a "Freemasonry")

Serving in the Labrynth of Life as the Daughter, Sister and Wife of Master Masons, and as a descendant of centuries of paternal and maternal ancestral bloodlines of Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, at the age of 19 I was Initiated into the Order of Eastern Star Chapter Founded by my parents. My Dad was a 33° and also was the Founder of an AF&AM Lodge that is still active today, and out of which came at least three Most Worshipful Grand Masters. His Grand Lodge bears his name and he served until he retired from his Government job and relocated to another State. When I was an active member, I served in a number of Offices in my Chapter through and including Worthy Matron (Presiding Officer), as well as in other affiliated houses. I particularly enjoyed serving in the capacity of Worthy Matron of the Grand Chapter’s District OES Burial Team.

Just offering that as a little background. It’s funny how nowadays talk of Freemasonry has escalated extraordinarily, and there are so very many misconceptions about this Ancient order, mainly by frustrated outsiders who are not privvy to information that is withheld from the general public.

Note that this is not a discussion to disclose any information inappropriate for those who are not members, but rather for you to share what your thoughts about Freemasonry if you have any. I think it’s a wonderful organization. What about you?

I posted this where I was moved to post it. Many outsiders think of Freemasonry as a religion, some think it's a cult, most are clueless. So I wanted to know what the religious zealots think, Thank you.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
I always had interest in Freemasonry and know where the lodges is in both my home town as well as in the city where I currently stay. My family, especially my dad, who are Pentecostal Christians, are against Freemasonry and see them as dangerous. I, on the other hand, like what I heard and read. My opinion is that there is only one way to see if Freemasonry really is dangerous and that is by joining and seeing for myself. So I went to the lodge in my home town and asked to be accepted. Unfortunately due to finances and personal problems at that time I couldn't join. I am now looking to join the one where I stay now. I know they are not a religious group but more a mystical esoteric group, which confuse most people

Jumi

They say they give out wisdom in small packets by degree, when many of their books are already free.

Ancient Mystical Order of the Rosy Cross

Interesting theory. I've heard my Dad talk about the Rosicrucians.

My family, especially my dad, who are Pentecostal Christians, are against Freemasonry and see them as dangerous.

Do they say why they see it as dangerous?

My opinion is that there is only one way to see if Freemasonry really is dangerous and that is by joining and seeing for myself.

Agreed!

I am now looking to join the one where I stay now.

Good luck in that journey.
I know they are not a religious group but more a mystical esoteric group, which confuse most people

Agreed. It is interesting, I find, that such a Fraternity opens it's doors to those from a variety of religious belief systems and spiritual backgrounds, and it is one organization that is based on religious principles whose members work together in harmony towards the greater good. In my experience, it's hard to get a group of people from different religious beliefs in one room for any extended period of time before confusion and chaos begins.

You mentioned your family being Pentecostal Christians. It brought to mind that in my experience, although there are many Christians (various denominations) who are Members of Freemasonry, many christians and churches have only horrible things to report about this honorable body. Why is that? Is it from lack of ignorance? Suspicion? Misunderstanding? Fear?

Kelly of the Phoenix

I always thought it was just that place my grandfather and other old guys went to instead of bars. My maternal grandfather was a Mason and my maternal grandmother was Eastern Star. My grandfather chose to have a Mason funeral and it was so pagan with Jesus little more than a tack on that my brother and I tried really hard not to laugh, because my grandparents were also Southern Baptists and were really against paganism and worried about my cousins (my grandfather's nieces) who were Wiccan or whatever. They were so mistreated socially at that funeral, it was disgusting, especially after watching a Mason funeral. I had a dream I stormed the lodge where my grandfather and other dead Masons were and yelled at them for their hypocrisy.

*my two cents*

They say they give out wisdom in small packets by degree

Who is "They?"

many of their books are already free

The way mankind has it, nothing on this earth is free except air, hahaha... Seriously though, what if everyything they teach is actually already available to the public, except the public doesn't know what to look for, where to find it or how to use it?

my grandparents were also Southern Baptists and were really against paganism and worried about my cousins (my grandfather's nieces) who were Wiccan or whatever

Interestingly, Christian (and even some Jewish) holidays are off-shoots of some ancient pagan holidays. Take "Easter," for instance. It is a time when many christians celebrate what they were taught to believe about the idea that a man called Jesus was raised from the dead after being crucified. The name Easter, which is used in English-speaking and German-speaking countries, is taken from the pre-christian (pagan) Spring festival for Eostur, the Anglo-Saxon Goddess of the Dawn, and is celebrated on or after the first full moon after the Spring Equinox.

As for Wicca, it is one of the most ancient practices from which knowledge was stolen, after which, when Christianity was being forced on the masses the practice of Wicca became forbidden by those who conquered the people, the people who continued in their ancient practice were burned alive or otherwise tortured and those who survived only did so by going into hiding. Mankind who forced Christianity on the masses forbade the people from their ancient practices of astrology, astronomy, divination and magick. Meanwhile it was the conquers who sought to gain understanding and learn how to use magick for their own selfish desires.

They were so mistreated socially at that funeral, it was disgusting, especially after watching a Mason funeral. I had a dream I stormed the lodge where my grandfather and other dead Masons were and yelled at them for their hypocrisy.

It is sad to learn that your experience with the Masonic Burial Ceremony wa not the best. When properly performed, it is honorable, dignified, as I recall my own father's Ceremony - I could not have been prouder to be a member. I cannot recall the exact terminology at the moment, but my Dad was laid on display in the Lodge he founded for 2 days before the Wake, Funeral and Burial Service.

When done properly, it is an awesome Ceremony. It is one of the few services that is open to the attendance of the general public. What is a "disgrace" - in my opinion, is having someone read out of a book over the body of the deceased, to stutter or stumble over their part in the Ceremony. Where I come from, we commit entire rituals to memory, we are fluent and proficient in our work.

This is, in my opinion, not impressive and I'd not want any of my esteemed brethren going out like this: It's not supposed to be done in a church, but at the final resting place - the burial grounds because it is the Last Rite - the last words spoken over the deceased.

Horribly done, just my opinion.

I was able to flawlessly recite everyone's part in our Order of Eastern Star Burial Ceremony, both male and female. My role was as the Presiding Officer, I took great pride in putting my beloved Sisters to rest with dignity and respect, leaving a great impression on the family of our beloved, for I understand tha tthe first impression is lasting, and for many, attending a Masonic burial service is their first impression of the Fraternity, so that first impression should be what we desire it to be.

GoodbyeDave

I'm not a Mason, but what I've read of its philosophy has always impressed me. Naturally there are some for whom it is no more a source of wisdom than the Rotary Club, but then there are some who even treat their church as a social club.

Naturally there are some for whom it is no more a source of wisdom than the Rotary Club, but then there are some who even treat their church as a social club.

Agreed. It can be like that in any social setting, I imagine. There will be those whose heart is a sealed casket full of divine teachings, who take it seriously, there are those who are just in it to find out what's going on, there are those in it to see how far they can go, those whojust want position, those who just seek power, and those who are pretty clueless, just in it from familial affiliations (being raised in such environments), not really interested in being the best they can be. Likewise in Ministry. I've been in leadership positions in Ministry and see all the same things.

Kelly of the Phoenix

When done properly, it is an awesome Ceremony. It is one of the few services that is open to the attendance of the general public. What is a "disgrace" - in my opinion, is having someone read out of a book over the body of the deceased, to stutter or stumble over their part in the Ceremony. Where I come from, we commit entire rituals to memory, we are fluent and proficient in our work.
Oh, we enjoyed it, though considered our grandfather insanely hypocritical given the clear pagan nature of the service. Watching a Franklin Graham-esque Baptist preacher nearly explode on the sidelines as this is going on was PRICELESS and worth attending just for that. :p

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Do they say why they see it as dangerous?

Agreed. It is interesting, I find, that such a Fraternity opens it's doors to those from a variety of religious belief systems and spiritual backgrounds, and it is one organization that is based on religious principles whose members work together in harmony towards the greater good. In my experience, it's hard to get a group of people from different religious beliefs in one room for any extended period of time before confusion and chaos begins.

You mentioned your family being Pentecostal Christians. It brought to mind that in my experience, although there are many Christians (various denominations) who are Members of Freemasonry, many christians and churches have only horrible things to report about this honorable body. Why is that? Is it from lack of ignorance? Suspicion? Misunderstanding? Fear?

Well the reason they say that Freemasons are dangerous (and 'they' mostly go on hearsay) is because there is some part in the oaths of Freemasons where a knife is hold against the throat. Further they also say that Freemasons are dangerous because if you don't want to be a Mason anymore they will kill you. How true this is I don't know, but I don't like to go on hearsay, assumptions and conspiracy theories... Oh of course Freemasons also want to take over the world! Lmao...
I agree with you on getting different religious minded people in one room... But if you keep looking (and in our age of pluralism it is a bit easier in my opinion) you may succeed. I go to Hindu, Christian and Bahai meetings without professing to the faiths.
I think the fear and misunderstanding started when the Reformers broke from the Catholics. Some of them, especially here in South Africa where the Pentecostals are generally also seen as part of the greater Reformed Churches, believe that no Christian may swear an oath. There is a passage in the Bible they use, where Jesus say don't swear because your yes must be yes and your no no. So all the way from the 16th century up until now with lots of tails and throw in some Satanist references and you got a bunch of scared sheep who don't find out for themselves but just scream 'dangerous' as if that explains all... From history I know some well known Christians were Masons (including some Reformed Christians although I know of no Pentecostal Mason)

Well the reason they say that Freemasons are dangerous (and 'they' mostly go on hearsay) is because there is some part in the oaths of Freemasons where a knife is hold against the throat.

Admittedly, integrity is high on our list of values; we do take our vows very seriously, but we also are to abide as upright citizens and obey the laws of the land - murder is against the laws of the land, and against spiritual laws as well.

Further they also say that Freemasons are dangerous because if you don't want to be a Mason anymore they will kill you. How true this is I don't know, but I don't like to go on hearsay, assumptions and conspiracy theories.

First, ditto my first reply. Second, technically, once a Freemason, always a Freemason - light and knowledge attained cannot be taken back since it is within, however if one no longer desires to be active in the fraternity, the proper and acceptable protocol would be to Demit, not be put to death which would be in outright violation of the high moral standards we hold.

Oh of course Freemasons also want to take over the world! Lmao...

And what's wrong with that?

Just joking, lol.

What makes you say that, or what gives you that impression?

I go to Hindu, Christian and Bahai meetings without professing to the faiths.

I worked with an attorney years ago who introduced me to his religious belief system when we got to talking about the subject. He was raised Jewish, but attended a church local to me where Jewish people, Christians, Muslims, Buddahists, Witches, Warlocks and Spiritualists, etc. attended. If my memory serves me correctly, it's called The Universal Church and their emblem is something like this:

1bf57ee92a46facb47b4a4387631acc7.jpg

If people insist on being religious, I'm this may not be such a bad idea; I enjoyed attending their services the couple of times I went. The people were warm, welcoming and I was fascinated by how they handled the holiday services. Plus they served coffee, tea and cookies after services! Don't you think that one religion for everyone in the world would at least resolve a majority of conflicts between people, if everyone believed the same thing and followed one faith?

There is a passage in the Bible they use, where Jesus say don't swear because your yes must be yes and your no no.

As always, much of scripture is taken out of context, misunderstood and/or misinterpreted by zealots and the ignorant. For example, wouldn't we all be wrong if... well, don't we take marriage VOWS? We make promises that we swear to keep in accepting those vows. Same as the President, who takes vows before the nation, and when we go to court, we take vows to tell the truth. So if we consider "swearing" as being against God, then we are all going to hell in a handbasket, no questions asked. The bible does teach that there are certain things that one must not swear against, yes, but careful study of scripture on this topic should be done in order not to be mislead into believing false teachings.

SpentaMaynu

One God, All in all
Lol I agree with all you said about religions, spiritual laws (and other laws for that matter) and misinterpretations (or rather interpretations when it fit them...).

On the 'taking over the world' part - when people tell me Freemasons are dangerous because they want to take over the world I ask them two things (without saying just joking) - first, conspiracy theories are normally assumptions and hearsay mixed with fear for the unknown and thus very rarely true and thus how do they know that Freemasons want to take over the world based on facts? Secondly - let's say it is true, why is that dangerous? Many people want to take over the world, some for good reasons others for evil, taking over the world is not a bad thing in itself but what you do with the world after the take over is what's determines good or bad.... in my humble opinion.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think it’s a wonderful organization. What about you?

The biggest problem about Freemasonry is that it does not provide a level field of opportunity and rewards for female executives, female directors and senior female government employees.
Equal pay for hourly-rate women was won in 1970, but equal chances and rewards for female execs has never happened, and it is freemasonry which holds us back from this in Britain.

Back in 1968, 187 very brave female upholstery machinists went on strike and stopped all Ford production in Britain, because they were unfairly downclassed as unskilled workers. Ford even threatened to pull out of Britain unless the Government here would push or entice these women back to their machines. They held fast, even when their own union lost its nerve. They won! The government and Ford caved in, and then, only then, did they go back to work!!! As a result, the Equal Pay Act 1970 was passed.
But our female executives don't get any benefit from this. Freemasons are present in every upper level of our Commerce, Industry, Retail trade and Public Services, and when they have to choose a new colleague, guess who they choose? And so many Female applicants as well as male applicants from working class backgrounds, get left out.
This is the single most prominent reason why there is a massive imbalance among Female/Male top pay positions here. It is going to take generations to sort this imbalance, if ever. We may never weed out Freemasonry, ever.

first, conspiracy theories are normally assumptions and hearsay mixed with fear for the unknown and thus very rarely true and thus how do they know that Freemasons want to take over the world based on facts?

Agreed. Conspiracy theories also often has a bit of truth mixed in, which adds to the confusion of outsiders who hear twisted opinions that are expressed as facts.

Secondly - let's say it is true, why is that dangerous?

Great question! What are some of the answeers you get to that?

Many people want to take over the world, some for good reasons others for evil,

Yes, like Pinky and the Brain!

taking over the world is not a bad thing in itself but what you do with the world after the take over is what's determines good or bad.... in my humble opinion.

Well said!

The biggest problem about Freemasonry is that it does not provide a level field of opportunity and rewards for female executives, female directors and senior female government employees.

I might disagree with that. There may be exactly such benefits to the wives, widows, mothers, daughters and sisters of Master Masons that you just don't know about or are not aware of. On the flip side of that, there are Masonic Lodges in existence wherein women are Freemasons.
This is the single most prominent reason why there is a massive imbalance among Female/Male top pay positions here.

That, my friend, is truly just an expression of your opinion, and not factual. The suppression of women that brought imbalance began with the Jewish men of old, who today pretty-much still hold the positions of power that you speak of. The suppression of women and their success did not originate with Freemasonry.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I might disagree with that. There may be exactly such benefits to the wives, widows, mothers, daughters and sisters of Master Masons that you just don't know about or are not aware of. On the flip side of that, there are Masonic Lodges in existence wherein women are Freemasons.
I'm well aware of in-family benefits....... which could well be why Freemasonry lost its charitable status here, only a few years ago. The Charities Commission decided that Freemasonty does not exist for the benefit of anybody, outside freemasonry, it is not a proper charity. Freemasonry charity is exclusive.

That, my friend, is truly just an expression of your opinion, and not factual. The suppression of women that brought imbalance began with the Jewish men of old, who today pretty-much still hold the positions of power that you speak of. The suppression of women and their success did not originate with Freemasonry.
It's no good redirecting me away from the simple fact that Freemasons help...... freemasons, as shown by your first para to me. Freemasonry is exclusive to the rest of the world, and most women.

I know many freemasons, and I have intimate knowledge of the clubs (yatching, golfing, etc) where either only freemasons can join, or where only freemasons can sit upon the committees. I could name several yacht clubs straight off. Freemasonry deeks to exclude outsiders.

Why, freemasons even control some internet forums! I know a British shooting forum where only freemasons may belong to the inner 'club', and where certain topics are removed from public debate for private debate only. Freemasons just do need to meddle, to erect outer, inner and deepest memberships. It's all just a typical example of how humans meddle for control and power...... it's corrupt.

This is UK freemasonry....... I have no clue about other countries, but I could guess.