• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alaska Glaciers Grew Due to Cold 2007-2008 Winter

Watchmen

Premium Member
Well, then I must say disavowing and dismissing science is a really odd way of showing ones love for it.

He's talking about a narrow issue. And you're painting broadly as "Zippy hates Science." :rolleyes:

Maybe he loves Astronomy....or Geology....or Anthropology. Who knows??? :shrug:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Ahhh, the cheering section returns. How quaint.

I'm calling both sides out as I see fit. Did you not see my questions to Zippy? I do not believe the GOP's position on global warming. I'm liberal on that issue and drive a hybrid.

I'm just demonstrating that Father Heathen is spreading hate by painting others with a broad brush.

And, by your response, you've become his cheering section. How quaint.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I don't think "Zippy hates science." I think neither of you know enough about it to discuss it responsibly.

I never said that you think "Zippy hates science." Get your glasses and try reading the posts again.

Also, it doesn't matter what you think I know or don't know as I haven't made any statements about global warming other than I don't believe the GOP's position. I've said nothing of the science so where do you come to the conclusion that I don't know enough about it to discuss it responsibly? Environmentally, we're likely on the same side, but your a hater and so you can't see that.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
I'm calling both sides out as I see fit. Did you not see my questions to Zippy? I do not believe the GOP's position on global warming. I'm liberal on that issue and drive a hybrid.

I'm just demonstrating that Father Heathen is spreading hate by painting others with a broad brush.

And, by your response, you've become his cheering section. How quaint.
I accept the fact that global warming is occurring. However, I believe natural climate change is what is happening and it is not as widespread as everyone says. Man's impact is there, but neglible in the overall scope of changing the planet for the worse.

For example millions of years before we were here the earth went through warming and cooling trends also known as tropical and ice ages. Did the neandrethal cause the ice age? I do not think so. The earth goes through cycles whether we are here or not.

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
He's talking about a narrow issue. And you're painting broadly as "Zippy hates Science." :rolleyes:

Maybe he loves Astronomy....or Geology....or Anthropology. Who knows??? :shrug:
I love science. Why would I bring up Alaska an amazing place. Thanks Diz for a defense. I love all the above. I love to study the nature of biology to geology. So lets discuss unless like some posters you want to throw around insinuations (Jay)!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I accept the fact that global warming is occurring. However, I believe natural climate change is what is happening and it is not as widespread as everyone says. Man's impact is there, but neglible in the overall scope of changing the planet for the worse.

For example millions of years before we were here the earth went through warming and cooling trends also known as tropical and ice ages. Did the neandrethal cause the ice age? I do not think so. The earth goes through cycles whether we are here or not.
Why don't you answer my question zippy? On what data do you base these beliefs?

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
Why don't you answer my question zippy? On what data do you base these beliefs?
What I learned in school. Basic science really. Carl Sagan would say Billyons And Billyons of years ago....Then tropical seas covered much of the earth....then the ice age hit and mammoths roamed the land...then the little ice age of the mid nineteenth century caused some crop failures...and hear we are so put up some windmills for energy!:)

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
What I learned in school. Basic science really. Carl Sagan would say Billyons And Billyons of years ago....Then tropical seas covered much of the earth....then the ice age hit and mammoths roamed the land...then the little ice age of the mid nineteenth century caused some crop failures...and hear we are so put up some windmills for energy!:)
There was no "little ice age" in the middle of the nineteenth century. Climatic changes that last a few years, such as those caused by el nino, are not unusual.

Those other climatic changes you've mentioned occurred over vast timescales, one occurring on the scale of tens of thousands of years would be rapid with regard to geological time. So the one occurring now, where we've seen a 0.6 degree rise in just 50-60 years is literally unprecedented i.e. temperatures have never altered on a global scale so quickly in the entire history of the planet.
What's different about now? Man and his industrial pollutants.

Do you have any actual data to support your theory, something that could counter the vast amount we have suggesting man's activities are mostly responsible?

zippythepinhead

Your Tax Dollars At Work
There was no "little ice age" in the middle of the nineteenth century. Climatic changes that last a few years, such as those caused by el nino, are not unusual.

Those other climatic changes you've mentioned occurred over vast timescales, one occurring on the scale of tens of thousands of years would be rapid with regard to geological time. So the one occurring now, where we've seen a 0.6 degree rise in just 50-60 years is literally unprecedented i.e. temperatures have never altered on a global scale so quickly in the entire history of the planet.
What's different about now? Man and his industrial pollutants.

Do you have any actual data to support your theory, something that could counter the vast amount we have suggesting man's activities are mostly responsible?
Must I do a simple search to shed some light on the "Little Ice Age"?

Link:

The Little Ice Age in Europe - Influence of Dramatic Climate Shifts on European Civilizations: The Rise and Fall of the Vikings and the Little Ice Age