• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ajaapa jaap ! 24*7

Treks

Oh! Found it:

Raag Bilaawal
Bilaawal conveys the emotions of great happiness that come from having attained a goal or achieved an aim. It is an overwhelming feeling of fulfilment, satisfaction and joy, that is experienced when the accomplishments are very important and dear to you. The happiness felt is like laughing out loud, there is no planning or any ulterior motive; it's just a natural expression of heartfelt happiness arising from a sense of achievement.

You can read more at this site Raag I haven't had a good look around the site so I can't say much about the overall quality of that site at this stage.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram treks bhen ji :namaste

Raag Bilavaal is a beautiful raag. I mean, they're all beautiful, but Bilavaal is especially so.

jai jai , yes I have found very few that i dont feel imidiately drawn to by thr raag alone but the meaning of the shabad's have turned out to be equaly beautifull .

Did you know, Ratikala bhenji, that the raags each have their own theme and convey a particular feeling? This is a brief summary but I know I've got a more comprehensive description of each raag around here somewhere... I'll post it when I find it, but in the meantime this is also good: Gurbani Raags - SearchGurbani.com

:)

I imidiately asumed that the raag's used were the same if not closely related to the sanskrit raga's and evocative of moods and seasons in much the same way as ours but seems that the ones chosen for shabads have a particularly reflective and devotional feeling or suffused with a deep and profound joy , :namaste

I would love to know if you also use some for particular times of day and season ?

thank you I will read your site with interest .

one thing which has markedly impressed me with the sikh tradition is the deep sincerity with which everything is approached , it is truely beautifull :)

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Oh! Found it:

Raag Bilaawal
Bilaawal conveys the emotions of great happiness that come from having attained a goal or achieved an aim. It is an overwhelming feeling of fulfilment, satisfaction and joy, that is experienced when the accomplishments are very important and dear to you. The happiness felt is like laughing out loud, there is no planning or any ulterior motive; it's just a natural expression of heartfelt happiness arising from a sense of achievement.

yes this is so so true , you have described it beautifully , I am often listening th one or two of an evening once I have finnished any responcibilities ..... '' It is an overwhelming feeling of fulfilment, satisfaction and joy, '' and so beautifull to loose one self in just reading the translations I could forget to do things like turn of the computer and go to sleep , .......''it's just a natural expression of heartfelt happiness arising from a sense of achievement.'' total absorbtion in god , ..... a vaisnava would say that this deep absorbtion and heart felt joy comes from emersing onself in chanting the glories of the lord :) ......sat naam wahe guru , wahe guru ...

what difference is there ?

happily I am seeing none :namaste

GURSIKH

chardi kla
namaskaram :namaste

ive been searching for a translation to this ...
[youtube]XB73yHsQjaM[/youtube]
taati vao na lagayi by bhai harjinder singh ji - YouTube

thaathee vaao n lagee paarabreham saranaaee ||
The hot wind does not even touch one who is under the Protection of the Supreme Lord God.

cauigrd hmwrY rwm kwr duKu lgY n BweI ]1]

chougiradh hamaarai raam kaar dhukh lagai n bhaaee ||1||
On all four sides I am surrounded by the Lord's Circle of Protection; pain does not afflict me, O Siblings of Destiny. ||1||

siqguru pUrw ByitAw ijin bxq bxweI ]

sathigur pooraa bhaettiaa jin banath banaaee ||
I have met the Perfect True Guru, who has done this deed.

:namaste

namaste rati ji :),

my grandmother used to recite this shabad when i was a kid ,before sleep , with her hand softly tapping my forehead :rainbow1:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste rati ji :),

my grandmother used to recite this shabad when i was a kid ,before sleep , with her hand softly tapping my forehead :rainbow1:

jai jai , what beautifull a blessing :namaste

and what beautifull a grandmother :namaste

GURSIKH

chardi kla
namaste Rati ji ,

Shabad below "Gurmukh laaha lai gye.." is in Sri Raag by Fifth Guru Guru Arjan Dev ji on ang74 . Guru Sahib equated this world with wrestling arena , Five vices Kam (lust) ,Krodh(Anger), lobh (greed), moh(attachment),Ahankaar(ego) are our opponent ..

Ha▫o gosā▫ī ḏā pahilvānṛā.
I am a wrestler; I belong to the Lord of the World.
Mai gur mil ucẖ ḏumālṛā.
I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.
Sabẖ ho▫ī cẖẖinjẖ ikṯẖī▫ā ḏa▫yu baiṯẖā vekẖai āp jī▫o. ||17||
All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||
vāṯ vajan tamak bẖerī▫ā.
The bugles play and the drums beat.
Mal lathe laiḏe ferī▫ā.
The wrestlers enter the arena and circle around.
Nihṯe panj ju▫ān mai gur thāpī ḏiṯī kand jī▫o. ||18||
I have thrown the five challengers to the ground, and the Guru has patted me on the back. ||18||
Sabẖ ikṯẖe ho▫e ā▫i▫ā.
All have gathered together,
Gẖar jāsan vāt vatā▫i▫ā.
but we shall return home by different routes.
Gurmukẖ lāhā lai ga▫e manmukẖ cẖale mūl gavā▫e jī▫o. ||19||
The Gurmukhs reap their profits and leave, while the self-willed manmukhs lose their investment and depart. ||19||
Ŧūʼn varnā cẖihnā bāhrā.
You are without color or mark.
Har ḏisėh hājar jāhrā.
The Lord is seen to be manifest and present.
Suṇ suṇ ṯujẖai ḏẖi▫ā▫iḏe ṯere bẖagaṯ raṯe guṇṯās jī▫o. ||20||
Hearing of Your Glories again and again, Your devotees meditate on You; they are attuned to You, O Lord, Treasure of Excellence. ||20||
Mai jug jug ḏa▫yai sevṛī.
Through age after age, I am the servant of the Merciful Lord.
Gur katī mihdī jevṛī.
The Guru has cut away my bonds.
Ha▫o bāhuṛ cẖẖinjẖ na nacẖ▫ū Nānak a▫osar laḏẖā bẖāl jī▫o. ||21||2||29||
I shall not have to dance in the wrestling arena of life again. Nanak has searched, and found this opportunity. ||21||2||29||

[youtube]TkCVjgzRywg[/youtube]
GURMUKH LAHA LE GAYE BY BHAI HARJINDER SINGH SRINAGAR WALE - YouTube

GURSIKH

chardi kla
very sweetly sung

"naam niranjan neer narayan.... "

[youtube]u4NYOQK0yLA[/youtube]
Nam Niranjan Neer Narayan - Nirinjan Kaur at Sat Nam Fest 2010 - YouTube

especially i liked the the top comment there ...

Beautifully sung. But I am requesting you (American Sikhs who are capable to preach the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib ji) please come to India for preaching. Nowdays few Indian Sikhs are not beleive in sikhism and its teachings. They just want to adopt western culture. There are so many pracharak(Preachers) in India who tell us how to follow teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, but few Indian sikhs are attracting towards westernisation.So I beleive if u people come in india, they definetly listen u
:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u4NYOQK0yLA

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste girsikh ji :namaste

especially i liked the the top comment there ...

Quote:
Beautifully sung. But I am requesting you (American Sikhs who are capable to preach the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib ji) please come to India for preaching. Nowdays few Indian Sikhs are not beleive in sikhism and its teachings. They just want to adopt western culture. There are so many pracharak(Preachers) in India who tell us how to follow teachings of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, but few Indian sikhs are attracting towards westernisation.So I beleive if u people come in india, they definetly listen u
:p

Ironicaly apt comment to come after your previous post
Guru Sahib equated this world with wrestling arena , Five vices Kam (lust) ,Krodh(Anger), lobh (greed), moh(attachment),Ahankaar(ego) are our opponent ..
it is so sad to think that some sikhs are loosing the strenght of their faith when they have something so beutifull in their hands ,
the same is very much true of devout hindu in india , the attraction of the material westernised life is too great , .... but here in the west some small amount of people are fed up with this empty material life , having tasted everything material and found it to be empty of any lasting value they have gone in search of something more meaningfull and satisfying .

but here in the west too the numbers of truely devout are small , ... this material world is too tempting , so many who try to gain the best of both worlds but end up loosing the strength of their faith .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaste :namaste

namaste Rati ji ,

Shabad below "Gurmukh laaha lai gye.." is in Sri Raag by Fifth Guru Guru Arjan Dev ji on ang74 . Guru Sahib equated this world with wrestling arena , Five vices Kam (lust) ,Krodh(Anger), lobh (greed), moh(attachment),Ahankaar(ego) are our opponent ..

Ha▫o gosā▫ī ḏā pahilvānṛā.
I am a wrestler; I belong to the Lord of the World.
Mai gur mil ucẖ ḏumālṛā.
I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban.
Sabẖ ho▫ī cẖẖinjẖ ikṯẖī▫ā ḏa▫yu baiṯẖā vekẖai āp jī▫o. ||17||
All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||
vāṯ vajan tamak bẖerī▫ā.
The bugles play and the drums beat.
Mal lathe laiḏe ferī▫ā.
I have thrown the five challengers to the ground, and the Guru has patted me on the back. ||18||
Sabẖ ikṯẖe ho▫e ā▫i▫ā.
All have gathered together,
Gẖar jāsan vāt vatā▫i▫ā.
but we shall return home by different routes.
Gurmukẖ lāhā lai ga▫e manmukẖ cẖale mūl gavā▫e jī▫o. ||19||
The Gurmukhs reap their profits and leave, while the self-willed manmukhs lose their investment and depart. ||19||
Ŧūʼn varnā cẖihnā bāhrā.
You are without color or mark.
Har ḏisėh hājar jāhrā.
The Lord is seen to be manifest and present.
Suṇ suṇ ṯujẖai ḏẖi▫ā▫iḏe ṯere bẖagaṯ raṯe guṇṯās jī▫o. ||20||
Hearing of Your Glories again and again, Your devotees meditate on You; they are attuned to You, O Lord, Treasure of Excellence. ||20||
Mai jug jug ḏa▫yai sevṛī.
Gur katī mihdī jevṛī.
I shall not have to dance in the wrestling arena of life again. Nanak has searched, and found this opportunity. ||21||2||29||

[youtube]TkCVjgzRywg[/youtube]
GURMUKH LAHA LE GAYE BY BHAI HARJINDER SINGH SRINAGAR WALE - YouTube

so perfectly true , ..... '' Five vices Kam (lust) ,Krodh(Anger), lobh (greed), moh(attachment),Ahankaar(ego) are our opponent ..''
but the foolish think that they are thier freinds , they think that they can play with fire without becoming burnt , but the gurmukhs see the dangers and take shelter of the lord , .....
Gur katī mihdī jevṛī.

jai jai ,.... blesed be that all do not have to ''dance in the wrestling arena of life again ''
sat sri akaal :namaste

GURSIKH

chardi kla
namaste girsikh ji :namaste

Ironicaly apt comment to come after your previous post
it is so sad to think that some sikhs are loosing the strenght of their faith when they have something so beutifull in their hands ,
the same is very much true of devout hindu in india , the attraction of the material westernised life is too great , .... but here in the west some small amount of people are fed up with this empty material life , having tasted everything material and found it to be empty of any lasting value they have gone in search of something more meaningfull and satisfying .

but here in the west too the numbers of truely devout are small , ... this material world is too tempting , so many who try to gain the best of both worlds but end up loosing the strength of their faith .

:namaste rati ji

east or west ,ppl with understanding are very few :) as Guru SAhib says
"tu (you)beant(infinite) ko(someone) virla(rare) jaaney(knows)...." below is kirtan of this shabad
[SIZE=+1]

vad▫hans mėhlā 5.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Wadhans 5th Guru.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Ŧū be▫anṯ ko virlā jāṇai.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Thou art infinite but only a few know Thee.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]॥[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Gur parsāḏ ko sabaḏ pacẖẖāṇai. ||1||[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]By the Guru's grace, Thou art reveled to some, through the Word.

[youtube]evosjW6ar_w[/youtube]
Bhai Dilbagh Singh Gulbagh Singh - Tu beant koi virla jane - YouTube
[/SIZE]

GURSIKH

chardi kla
namaste :namaste

so perfectly true , ..... '' Five vices Kam (lust) ,Krodh(Anger), lobh (greed), moh(attachment),Ahankaar(ego) are our opponent ..''
but the foolish think that they are thier freinds , they think that they can play with fire without becoming burnt , but the gurmukhs see the dangers and take shelter of the lord , .....
Gur katī mihdī jevṛī.

jai jai ,.... blesed be that all do not have to ''dance in the wrestling arena of life again ''
sat sri akaal :namaste

:bow: rati ji ,five are also very powerful .

Mal lathe laiḏe ferī▫ā.
I have thrown the five challengers to the ground, and the Guru has patted me on the back. ||18|| :p

Treks

Gursikh bhaji, can you suggest a kirtan clip in Raag Maajh? Am slowly doing Sehaj Paath (really slowly haha) and the Gurbani in this raag is taking my breath away - Wah! Wah! *swoons*

Danwaad ji

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Last edited:

Treks

Thank you veer ji! I will listen soon.

There are too many Wah! shabads in Raag Maajh - especially those by First and Fifth Nanak's - to list! I found this shalok and paurhee mind blowing this morning - nearly matha tek'd the universe while on the train LOL:

(starts at the end of ang 141)

ਸਲੋਕੁ ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Salok mėhlā 1.
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਨਦੀਆ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਧੇਣਵਾ ਸੁੰਮ ਹੋਵਹਿ ਦੁਧੁ ਘੀਉ ॥
Naḏī▫ā hovėh ḏẖeṇvā summ hovėh ḏuḏẖ gẖī▫o.
If the rivers became cows, giving milk, and the spring water became milk and ghee;

ਸਗਲੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਸਕਰ ਹੋਵੈ ਖੁਸੀ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੀਉ ॥
Saglī ḏẖarṯī sakar hovai kẖusī kare niṯ jī▫o.
If all the earth became sugar, to continually excite the mind;

ਪਰਬਤੁ ਸੁਇਨਾ ਰੁਪਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਹੀਰੇ ਲਾਲ ਜੜਾਉ ॥
Parbaṯ su▫inā rupā hovai hīre lāl jaṛā▫o.
if the mountains became gold and silver, studded with gems and jewels -

ਭੀ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਸਾਲਾਹਣਾ ਆਖਣ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚਾਉ ॥੧॥
Bẖī ṯūʼnhai salāhṇā ākẖaṇ lahai na cẖā▫o. ||1||
even then, I would worship and adore You, and my longing to chant Your Praises would not decrease. ||1||

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਭਾਰ ਅਠਾਰਹ ਮੇਵਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਗਰੁੜਾ ਹੋਇ ਸੁਆਉ ॥
Bẖār aṯẖārah mevā hovai garuṛā ho▫e su▫ā▫o.
If all the eighteen loads of vegetation became fruits and the growing grass became sweet rice;

ਚੰਦੁ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਦੁਇ ਫਿਰਦੇ ਰਖੀਅਹਿ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਥਾਉ ॥
Cẖanḏ sūraj ḏu▫e firḏe rakẖī▫ahi nihcẖal hovai thā▫o.
if I were able to stop the sun and the moon in their orbits and hold them perfectly steady -

ਭੀ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਸਾਲਾਹਣਾ ਆਖਣ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚਾਉ ॥੨॥
Bẖī ṯūʼnhai salāhṇā ākẖaṇ lahai na cẖā▫o. ||2||
even then, I would worship and adore You, and my longing to chant Your Praises would not decrease. ||2||

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਜੇ ਦੇਹੈ ਦੁਖੁ ਲਾਈਐ ਪਾਪ ਗਰਹ ਦੁਇ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
Je ḏehai ḏukẖ lā▫ī▫ai pāp garah ḏu▫e rāhu.
If my body were afflicted with pain, under the evil influence of unlucky stars;

ਰਤੁ ਪੀਣੇ ਰਾਜੇ ਸਿਰੈ ਉਪਰਿ ਰਖੀਅਹਿ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਪੈ ਭਾਉ ॥
Raṯ pīṇe rāje sirai upar rakẖī▫ahi evai jāpai bẖā▫o.
and if the blood-sucking kings were to hold power over me -

ਭੀ ਤੂੰਹੈ ਸਾਲਾਹਣਾ ਆਖਣ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚਾਉ ॥੩॥
Bẖī ṯūʼnhai salāhṇā ākẖaṇ lahai na cẖā▫o. ||3||
even if this were my condition, I would still worship and adore You, and my longing to chant Your Praises would not decrease. ||3||

ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Mėhlā 1.
First Mehl:

ਅਗੀ ਪਾਲਾ ਕਪੜੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਖਾਣਾ ਹੋਵੈ ਵਾਉ ॥
Agī pālā kapaṛ hovai kẖāṇā hovai vā▫o.
If fire and ice were my clothes, and the wind was my food;

ਸੁਰਗੈ ਦੀਆ ਮੋਹਣੀਆ ਇਸਤਰੀਆ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਭੋ ਜਾਉ ॥
Surgai ḏī▫ā mohṇī▫ā isṯarī▫ā hovan Nānak sabẖo jā▫o.
and even if the enticing heavenly beauties were my wives, O Nanak-all this shall pass away!

ਭੀ ਤੂਹੈ ਸਾਲਾਹਣਾ ਆਖਣ ਲਹੈ ਨ ਚਾਉ ॥੪॥
Bẖī ṯūhai salāhṇā ākẖaṇ lahai na cẖā▫o. ||4||
Even then, I would worship and adore You, and my longing to chant Your Praises would not decrease. ||4||

:bow: