• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Agnostic Theism

biased

Gnostic leans more towards theism, agnostic leans more towards atheism. Neither completely tips to one side on the extreme spectrum.

Agnostic theist is a contradiction of sorts, its like saying your an atheistic theist. There is no need for agnostic theist, because what you're describing is gnosticism.

I think it's a good label for people who are obsessed with categorizing, labeling and fitting things into little individual packages that can be catalogued. But seriously, Agnostic Theism is only a paradox in the sense that paradox's best describe reality.

I'll go somewhere with this later on.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Gnosticism is about claiming knowledge of something....I'm doing the exact opposite of that.

No, gnosticism describes spiritual and intellectual development, knowledge. Agnosticism doesn't describe the opposite of that (aside from believing that is impossible to know of a god and being able to conceive of such a thing). And agnosticism actually gives some leeway to the understanding of gnosticism (for its not denying as an atheist, and nor is it faithfully accepting as a theist). Which is why I said there is no real need for "theist" or "atheist" when using agnostic or gnostic to describe what you believe.

Theist and atheist are essentially useless labels in the bigger picture of descriptions anyways, they don't define anything - per se - the reasoning for what they believe. But thats just what I believe, I think "theist" and "atheist" are descriptive words used as a sensibility versus a perspective (speaking psychologically) and when put into perspective make less sense than anything else concerning what these words are attempting to describe (because even concepts that deny or reject any belief in a "God" they still describe it).

I hope that makes sense :D

I think it's a good label for people who are obsessed with categorizing, labeling and fitting things into little individual packages that can be catalogued. But seriously, Agnostic Theism is only a paradox in the sense that paradox's best describe reality.

I'll go somewhere with this later on.

Huh...the more words you stack onto it the less individualized it becomes.

However it can be agreed that reality can be defined by paradox. :D

I was wondering if there were any other Agnostic Theist's on here. I seem to catch a lot of flack when i tell people I am one. Atheist's that I've met will tell me my belief is irrational, something which I know and fully understand. Theist's I've met will ask me how can you believe god exists but that there's no proof of him, and proceed to attempt to provide proof. Often I feel in the middle between the two. I don't think god will ever be proven or disproven. I think a belief in god (whatever definition that may be) is just something you accept or you don't.

I consider myself one, and think I've always been one, even though I only discovered the label about a year ago.

I was raised in a Catholic household, but never really felt that strong of an attachment to the beliefs. Growing up, part of me always wondered why so many people were sure about Christianity, when it's entirely possible that we're supposed to be worshiping Zeus, or Rah, etc...etc...

At the end of it all, I came to the conclusion that while I wholeheartedly believe there is a God, or at least "something greater," there isn't really any way to know for sure, or to know what actually consists of this God figure.

I haven't got the kind of flack you have though, or had to argue my beliefs. Granted, not everyone in my family knows I don't consider myself a Christian anymore though.