• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Age of Earth

Marisa

Man go ahead question God.Tell him he's wrong because on judgement day you will face judgement for your sins just the same as me.The only difference is that I will have been granted grace and will be saved and you will not.
I fear no god who slaughters little kids in their cribs in the dark of night, or sends bear to do his dirty work. I realize this creates a massive problem for you because when you lob your threats like "god's gonna getcha for that" it's about the same as saying "a unicorn is gonna **** on your favorite rosebush for that".

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes it is. I win.

Gonna play Devil's (heh) Advocate for a sec. ... sorta.

The Bible isn't a single unified work; rather, it's a collection of hand-picked Jewish and early Christian writings, most of which had previously existed fairly independently of each other. Different canons even have different books in them (the Catholic Old Testament has more books, and the Ethiopian Bible includes the Book of Enoch). Some of these writings are works of fiction, while others are records of something(such as Psalms and Proverbs), or works that may have false claims but nonetheless are technically nonfiction (such as Paul's epistles).

It's really less Lord of the Rings, and more analogous to... hypothetically speaking, "A Small Selection of Grimm's Fairy Tales, Together With: The Law of the Frankish Empire, And Collected Proverbs, Popular Songs, and Religious Writings From Throughout French And German History."

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Man go ahead question God.Tell him he's wrong because on judgement day you will face judgement for your sins just the same as me.The only difference is that I will have been granted grace and will be saved and you will not.
And there's the threat of hell! Believe, or else! Sounds totally unconditional to me. :rolleyes:

So you claim. But you lack the evidence to convince anyone else of your claims.

That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

elijoe_15

I'm done with this.You all can call it a "win" or whatever but it's gotten to the point where everyone is just denying the truth and I've got God so that's all that matters.I really hope and pray that y'all turn from your false thinking and accept Christ as your Lord but as far as this is concerned I'm done,this is doing nothing productive.Peace out y'all

Marisa

Gonna play Devil's (heh) Advocate for a sec. ... sorta.

The Bible isn't a single unified work; rather, it's a collection of hand-picked Jewish and early Christian writings, most of which had previously existed fairly independently of each other. Different canons even have different books in them (the Catholic Old Testament has more books, and the Ethiopian Bible includes the Book of Enoch). Some of these writings are works of fiction, while others are records of something(such as Psalms and Proverbs), or works that may have false claims but nonetheless are technically nonfiction (such as Paul's epistles).

It's really less Lord of the Rings, and more analogous to... hypothetically speaking, "A Small Selection of Grimm's Fairy Tales, Together With: The Law of the Frankish Empire, And Collected Proverbs, Popular Songs, and Religious Writings From Throughout French And German History."
Yeah, I get that. But I thought we were playing the playground game of "I'm rubber, you're glue" and it was my turn. :p

Riverwolf

Premium Member
I'm done with this.You all can call it a "win" or whatever but it's gotten to the point where everyone is just denying the truth and I've got God so that's all that matters.I really hope and pray that y'all turn from your false thinking and accept Christ as your Lord but as far as this is concerned I'm done,this is doing nothing productive.Peace out y'all

Why would you pray to your God for that to happen, as if he had any control over it?

Marisa

I'm sorry we rained on your preaching parade. Better luck next time!

Parsimony

Just for future reference, you should do some more research on evolution so that you at least understand what it is that you are arguing against. This would be a good place to start.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Praying is how you say to god "A moment, sir, you see I disagree with the divine plan and I'd like to share my idea with you".

LOL

See, we Heathens don't "pray" to our Gods at all; we bid them. Whether they actually get around to it is up to them, and they don't even necessarily have dominion over the particular thing. Don't bid Woden to give you peace of mind and a quiet place to read, as such things as "peace and quiet" are probably rather foreign to Him. LOL (Heck, He's also so much of a snarky prick that He might just might grant the opposite).

There did used to be an old Shamanic practice called seithr, which involved looking into Destiny (Wyrd) and trying to alter it. The way I perceive this practice is: all things, past, present, and future, are the Weaver's Web (the Weaver being Death's Firstborn, and having the form of a spider because I'm horribly arachnophobic and yet, as an artist, simultaneously have some kinship with spiders), and this practice involves looking at that Web and altering a strand here or there, but trying not to alert the Great Spider. Some practical equivalents might be building planes to get around the fact that we can't fly, or creating media intended to push people away from a perceived trend and onto a new one.

Marisa

LOL

See, we Heathens don't "pray" to our Gods at all; we bid them. Whether they actually get around to it is up to them, and they don't even necessarily have dominion over the particular thing. Don't bid Woden to give you peace of mind and a quiet place to read, as such things as "peace and quiet" are probably rather foreign to Him. LOL (Heck, He's also so much of a snarky prick that He might just might grant the opposite).

There did used to be an old Shamanic practice called seithr, which involved looking into Destiny (Wyrd) and trying to alter it. The way I perceive this practice is: all things, past, present, and future, are the Weaver's Web (the Weaver being Death's Firstborn, and having the form of a spider because I'm horribly arachnophobic and yet, as an artist, simultaneously have some kinship with spiders), and this practice involves looking at that Web and altering a strand here or there, but trying not to alert the Great Spider. Some practical equivalents might be building planes to get around the fact that we can't fly, or creating media intended to push people away from a perceived trend and onto a new one.
This whole right here is the basic difference. You aren't pretending your god is infallible and vomits buckets of love. I don't share your belief, but I can at least respect that. And when I want a quiet place to read, I know how to make it for myself. :D

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Maybe next time, you can come back with something better than "this is true because I say it is" and "god's gonna punish you if you don't believe."

Just some pointers.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
This whole right here is the basic difference. You aren't pretending your god is infallible and vomits buckets of love. I don't share your belief, but I can at least respect that. And when I want a quiet place to read, I know how to make it for myself. :D

Exactly. ^_^

And if any of the Ese (the Old English word for Aesir; i.e., the Germanic/Norse Gods) are so insecure in themselves that they are upset by that lack of belief and self-reliance, that's their problem. My polytheism is strictly agnostic and pluralist, anyway.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've tried reading the Book of Joshua. Twice.

I never could finish it. It's just too horrific, the stuff that happens in that book. Step aside, Game of Thrones.
I read the whole thing for the first time while I was having a crises of faith. Rather than reinforce and save my faith, like I was anticipating, it completely destroyed it.
God is all-good and therefore doesn't "slaughter" anyone.
The first born of Egypt; Sodom and Gomorrah; the entire planet; order the army of Israel to completely wipe out neighbouring tribes down to the last woman and child; a person here and a person there; ordering the unborn be torn from the womb; telling Satan to go ahead and kill Job's family. Not even Hitler could beat your god's death toll.
Man go ahead question God.
I'll question him, challenge him, and call him a savage.
But if god is omnipotent and omniscient, your prayers are wasted because god already knows if we will accept him or not.

gnostic

The Lost One
There are so many different views on how old the earth is,so regardless of how it came about,why do you think the earth is the age that it is and how do you know that your belief is accurate,or is it all just a hypothesis?

If you truly want to know how old the Earth is, you would seek such answers from science, more specifically from geologists, stratigraphers, or from Earth scientists.

You wouldn't seek answer from creationism, theology, bible literalists. They are clueless, and based everything on biased wishful thinking.

But the estimation changes so much how can you just keep agreeing with it?

It is about 4.6 billion years.

It changes only very little, mainly because of technology is always advancing. If the tool or equipment improved, or completely new and possible better ones become available, why wouldn't you use it.

The Earth is not 6000 years, 10,000 years or 13,000 years...depending on which YECs (Young Earth Creationists) you are talking too. Creationists cannot agree among themselves.

But even more importantly, there are abundant of evidences that predate all 3 creationist estimates of how old the Earth is.

In fact, life has over 3.6 billion years. Even man has been around longer than those 3 dates of creationism. Rocks have been variously dated to certain times, from tens of million years or hundreds of million years and even billions of years; the oldest rock 4.54 billion years.