• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adopted A Pigeon

Kirran

Premium Member
Hey everyone,

I've adopted a pigeon. Fell from nest. Maybe 3 weeks old? I've raised chickens and guineafowl, and asked a guy who raised a pigeon before, so I'm not lost here, but advice would still be good, if anybody here has ever raised a dove or pigeon before?

Also checked online, etc.

32267077_10214245109354655_5037591820360482816_n.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hey everyone,

I've adopted a pigeon. Fell from nest. Maybe 3 weeks old? I've raised chickens and guineafowl, and asked a guy who raised a pigeon before, so I'm not lost here, but advice would still be good, if anybody here has ever raised a dove or pigeon before?

You may have a friend for life!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hey everyone,

Anyone who would adopt a pigeon, could not be a totally bad person:heart:

That's my proverb. It just came out when the spirit of the Lord moved me. :)

atanu

Premium Member
Hey everyone,

Great. But too much potty around. And beware of cats and dogs.

Kirran

Premium Member
Everyone's loving this pigeon, but nobody has pigeon experience! It's cool, I have consulted a monk I know who raised a pigeon, joined a pigeon rescuers facebook page and looked at websites. I'm set.

Looking now at pigeon names. All based on sky or wind deities.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have pigeon experience. I had two injured pigeons at one time.
One eventually recovered enough from a head injury to fly away. The other, with an incorrectly healed broken wing I had for ~15 years.

Is your pigeon injured? What are your plans for him?

Kirran

Premium Member
I have pigeon experience. I had two injured pigeons at one time.
One eventually recovered enough from a head injury to fly away. The other, with an incorrectly healed broken wing I had for ~15 years.

Is your pigeon injured? What are your plans for him?

Phew, great to see you Valjean.

Not injured, actually seems lively and healthy. Had only just fell from the nest, I think - crop was still quite full, even.

My plan is to look after pidge as long as needed. Maybe resettle at Skanda Vale ashram when grown up, not sure.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
He looks half fledged already. Keep him fed and watered and he'll likely fly off on his own in a week or two.
Where are you keeping him?

Kirran

Premium Member
Yeah, I think you're right, a week or two off. But won't seem to eat by himself, need feeding manually.

In a box in my girlfriend's place where I live.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know when pigeons start eating on their own, or how the switch from milk to grain is made.
There are a bunch of videos on you tube about feeding baby pigeons, though.

What are your plans when Pidge hops out of the box and starts flapping around the room?

Kirran

Premium Member
I don't know when pigeons start eating on their own, or how the switch from milk to grain is made.
There are a bunch of videos on you tube about feeding baby pigeons, though.

What are your plans when Pidge hops out of the box and starts flapping around the room?

Ah the switch from milk happens very young, so it's fine on that score.

I don't know! :D See what happens when the time comes. Maybe a move to Skanda Vale.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ah the switch from milk happens very young, so it's fine on that score.

I don't know! :D See what happens when the time comes. Maybe a move to Skanda Vale.
Ah -- so you're planning to raise him Hindu, then?