• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abortion

Marisa

That comment is so stupid that Tyson should be ashamed. I don't recall it being taught in Christianity that God micromanages every aspect of your life and your body. Miscarriages are tragic occurrences that are as random as other biological mishaps. But abortion is a willed action to take a life. That's the difference - will, intention and action.

I'd also like to know where he got his statistics from. They seem ridiculously inflated.
He's talking about "everything happens for a reason" people. If you believe that everything that happens is part of your deitie's divine plan, then that includes spontaneous miscarriage.

Marisa

Exactly... I guess life begins at conception but Life is something that comes gradually and changes over time.

Wait, is a sperm cell alive?:confused:

Seems like humankind doesn't have enough biological or moral understanding to deal with questions like this.
The potential for life begins at conception. Conception does not equate to or guarantee a live birth.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Exactly... I guess life begins at conception but Life is something that comes gradually and changes over time.

Wait, is a sperm cell alive?:confused:

Seems like humankind doesn't have enough biological or moral understanding to deal with questions like this.
Sperm cells are just cells like any other cell. They're not unique living beings.

Marisa

How do you know? Whether she believes it herself or is citing something else, it's an opinion. I'm not sure what your point is.
My point is that you assumed that the poster's opinion agrees with what is being asserted as fact. No such admission was made, and you have nothing to base your assumption on.

JRMcC

The potential for life begins at conception. Conception does not equate to or guarantee a live birth.
The potential for Life begins at conception, but life begins at conception.
And hey depending on how you use the word potential, couldn't the potential for both life and Life begin when two people have extended romantic eye contact?
:D

Marisa

The potential for Life begins at conception, but life begins at conception.
And hey depending on how you use the word potential, couldn't the potential for both life and Life begin when two people have extended romantic eye contact?
:D
You are making some distinction in the use of the word "life" which seems inapplicable. It is of no great import what your opinion is, since laws need to be based on facts. If it is your opinion that abortion is wrong, I fully support your right not to have one and to teach this value to your offspring. I do not support making laws from your opinion, however.

freethinker44

You are making some distinction in the use of the word "life" which seems inapplicable. It is of no great import what your opinion is, since laws need to be based on facts. If it is your opinion that abortion is wrong, I fully support your right not to have one and to teach this value to your offspring. I do not support making laws from your opinion, however.
All laws are made from our opinions of what's right and wrong. It makes no sense to exclude abortion from law based on this reasoning.

Marisa

That's highly debatable and entirely dependent on when an abortion is performed, and even then it's still debatable.
I've already stated my opinion on viability. But even attaining viability in utero simply is no guarantee of surviving delivery. The ony life not in question is that of the pregnant female.

JRMcC

I'm making a distinction between life and Life. Do you know what I mean? A bacteria cell is alive, but not in the same way that a human teenager is. That's why I say life begins at conception, and Life doesn't.

Marisa

I'm making a distinction between life and Life. Do you know what I mean? A bacteria cell is alive, but not in the same way that a human teenager is. That's why I say life begins at conception, and Life doesn't.
Yes, I know what you mean.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've already stated my opinion on viability. But even attaining viability in utero simply is no guarantee of surviving delivery. The ony life not in question is that of the pregnant female.

Exactly. Well, according to science, that is. :)

The debate begins if the presumption of the gestating fetus is considered alive, which life carries more consideration and attention? The pregnant female? Or the fetus?

I've often said that it's very easy to champion the rights of a fetus when the person gestating it isn't considered to have complete ownership over the entirety of her own body in the first place.

What makes me SMDH is when pregnancy is described as an "inconvenience." It's a major health concern for the woman, and anything BUT an inconvenience.

So, moralizing it and offering causes and conditions for the pregnancy to happen in the first place....which typically comes up as the woman's sexual history or choices or circumstances including rape....become the ammunition against the pregnant female and to consider the argument as determining that she is WRONG if the pregnancy is unwanted, and therefore she must make it RIGHT to carry a pregnancy to term regardless of the major health concers that occur to her and her body for the assumed 9 month pregnancy. Because she is WRONG, then she must be PUNISHED somehow if her pregnancy...a health condition....was unplanned or unwanted.