• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A question for atheists who don't believe in God

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well, since we don't believe in these gods that we hear and read about we may not be able to answer the question....Of course I don't speak for everyone here.
Well, in the context of the thread, I would like to know what it is in what you've heard and read about that you're not believing in, and that would answer the question.

I thought they were believers but always took the impartial position.
Depends on what you think they're believing in, i.e. "what is God?" :D

Alceste

Vagabond
Well, in the context of the thread, I would like to know what it is in what you've heard and read about that you're not believing in, and that would answer the question.

In my case, that would be the gods of all the dictionaries, holy books, religious movements, historical records and anthropological / archaeological findings I have ever heard of, as a person who has read about 100 books a year for 30 years. You want a list? ;)

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
....as a person who has read about 100 books a year for 30 years. You want a list? ;)
But do Choose Your Own Adventure books and Mad Libs count? :D
choose_your_own_adventure.jpg

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In my case, that would be the gods of all the dictionaries, holy books, religious movements, historical records and anthropological / archaeological findings I have ever heard of, as a person who has read about 100 books a year for 30 years. You want a list? ;)
Interesting! Who are the Gods of the Dictionary? I don't believe I'm familiar with their mythology. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
God, to me, is a name that is often used to make things that have no explanation, purpose or meaning appear to have one.

That nicely explains why there are so many, mutually exclusive ideas about what it was supposed to be (even allowing for the various aspects concept, which I find nifty, btw) and also why there is no particular need to believe in any.

I don't believe in God because the concept is so obviously a human creation that has so often been grossly misused.

Actually, I don't see how it could be proper to believe in God - for anyone, really. Some people will end up believing, but that is nothing more than an unavoidable side-effect of the true constructive purpose of the concept, which is facilitating religious inspiration.

Alas, all too often it instead becomes an obstacle, so misused the idea has been.

Last edited:

The-G-man

De Facto Atheist
Exactly what is it you are not believing in? What is "God"?

I don't believe in a God that consciously made everything, i believe in the God which is some sort of chemical reaction caused during Abiogenesis.

That does not mean however that i am right and there is no Intelligent Design to life, afterall if God was all powerful surely it could hide it's presence from everyone right?
and with it, all chance of finding out whether it exists or not.

remember perception is everything, a flat Earth theory fits in with the facts that our eyes' and brain tell us, if it was not for advances in Science we would still think this.

Lilbeth

free thinker
A supreme being that has decided everything there was to be decided, decides everything there is to decide and someone that I am supposed to worship.....like a worker ant in an ant colony all for the Queen ant, and nothing else....In most illustrations, this supreme being has white hair, a white beard and looks like my great grandfather.......Hey, I always thought that the ants looked more like aliens than anything...LOL!

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
My take on it is this. Why would a god who is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient even create anything? What would even be the point? This is a god that is supposed to have known what its creation would do and not do before it created the universe and everything in it. Why would a god create man and then give man rules and laws and demand that man worship it or he would punish man if this god already knew what it's creation would do before it did it? In fact the very things that happen in the universe happens because this god created it that way. This is why I don't believe in gods or the books of men telling us about the nature of a god. For me they don't make any sense. The god of the bible/quran is a very limited god. He is limited in his power, his power over that which he created and he is appears to be limited in his knowledge of future. The god of the bible is a angry, jealous, vengeful god.WHY??? He is all these things toward that which he created. To me it makes no sense at all.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

We believe what we can perceive and what there is evidence for. We don't believe in things we haven't seen or for which there is no credible evidence. This includes gods, faeries, little green men, pink unicorns &al. We don't dys-believe in the undiscovered -- we just reserve credulity till they actually are discovered.

jrbogie

neither the atheist nor the agnostic believes in god. the difference is that the atheist BELIEVES that it is fact that god does not exist. the agnostic does not even consider god because the human mind is incapable of knowing of gods, the afterlife or other supernatural phenomena. to an agnostic like myself, neither the atheist or the faith can ever prove their claim. but we all have a hard time agreeing just what the definition of an atheist is so for simplicity i'll use mine; atheists believe that god is impossible.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
atheists believe that god is impossible.

Nah, I'm an atheist, but I don't think it's impossible that there's a god - there just isn't any objective evidence which would make me think there is.

Before you go calling me an agnostic, I'll let you know that I'm agnostic also. I'm an agnostic atheist. Belief and knowledge aren't the same thing.

jrbogie

Nah, I'm an atheist, but I don't think it's impossible that there's a god - there just isn't any objective evidence which would make me think there is.

Before you go calling me an agnostic, I'll let you know that I'm agnostic also. I'm an agnostic atheist. Belief and knowledge aren't the same thing.

the problem is with definitions. dictionaries often list several conflicting definitions for a particular word. this, from webster:

atheist

One entry found.

Main Entry: athe·ist Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\ Function: noun Date: 1551 : one who believes that there is no deity
— athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective
— athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

many atheist think that it's a matter of a lack of evidence. i get real tired of definning this and definning that so i started my own holy order of "IAN". when asked my religion i proudly espouse, "I AIN'T NOTHIN".

when ask what i believe?...............nothin.
when asked from what was the universe created?............nothin.
what happens to us when we die?..............nothin.
well one has to believe in something!!!..........nope, has to believe in nothin.

you get my drift.

jrbogie

Sure do.

I have no problem describing myself as atheist though, even though I merely do not believe that god(s) exist. Makes the most logical sense to me. If you're not a theist, you're an atheist.

disagree. atheism and theism relate to religion. agnosticism relates to the ability to know. neither the atheist nor the agnostic believe that god exists. but one definition, here we go with definitions again, of an atheist is one who believes there is no god. by that definition i am not an atheist since i think that one can never know one way or the other. but we all use various definitions for many things.