• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Hindu among Quakers; or, Starry's going to Grad school.

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
I have some exciting news.

After several months of applications, meetings, and apartment hunting, I'm officially going to begin a graduate program at the Earlham School of Religion. Specifically, an MDiv in either Pastoral Care or Peace and Justice studies. ESR is an autonomous school under the greater jurisdiction of Earlham college; a historically Quaker college in the town of Richmond, Indiana. Even though I'm a Hindu in association with UU, there is no issue of me going to what is essentially a historically Christian school. There is a sizeable Unitarian presence at the school too.

It's all very exciting, but also scary. For one, It'll be the 1st time in my 24 years on this planet where I'll living alone. Away from all my friends and family that I actually like. I'm also moving from a metro area of 500,000 to a town of 35,000; and I have a hard enough time socializing where I currently live. It's also a post-Industrial "rust-belt" city, so there aren't many jobs beyond costumer service. Plus, quite a few areas of the town (and even Indiana in general) have major drug issues.

Nevertheless, it's all very exciting and is something that, for a while, I honestly thought wouldn't happen. When you come from a family where most people are high school drop outs, that doesn't necessarily create the greatest of academic environments. I still have the final steps of registration to do, but I'm in their system as a student who is definitely attending.

Here's to a new chapter of my life.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Congrats! As a Hoosier myself, I am familiar with many Earlham grads. Good place. And Quakers generally are the most nonjudgmental Christian denomination you'll see.
Actually, my UU. Church had one as minister for awhile. She had grown up really Jewish, but had a rather broader outlook than her conservative family. Her husband grew up Episcopalian, but started becoming Jewish as a teen. They met at Earlham. She was thrilled to find a Jewish husband without the baggage, and he was thrilled to have a Jewish wife without the baggage:) He even took her last name to get the unambiguously Jewish name.
Tom

Tumah

Veteran Member
I just thought this would be appropriate for this thread.
So I'm just gonna leave it right here.