• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great video that discusses and rationalizes the combined practice of Zen and Pure Land, in China

Last edited:
That is generally how Buddhism is practiced in China. But there are many places in the world where the two practices are not combined. One example, being the Amida school here in the UK (with Sanghas in USA and India too), where the practice is solely on the Nembutsu, with no elements or teachings of Zen included. This reflects my own practice; Pure Land (most closely resembling Japanese Jodo-Shu) but with no Zen practice.

Of course some would asy any practice is Zen practice but that is probably a different discussion!

von bek

I've never understood separating Zen and Pure Land practice. I practice both.

As do I. The Lotus Sutra teaches us that the Buddha has provided many expedient means to transport suffering beings to Awakening. Zazen and Nembutsu complement each other. In the Pure Land, Amida Buddha will instruct directly. We are taught that all Buddhas teach the same dharma. Whatever Gautama Buddha has taught, Amida Buddha will teach, too.

Vishvavajra

Thanks for the video. I always like hearing from the late Master Sheng Yan. He was skilled at making things clear and straightforward and immediately relevant to a modern audience. Also, our local teacher Guo Gu can be seen in that video (the Chinese monk that the camera zooms in on a few times).

One thing that probably surprises a lot of Westerners is how Chinese Buddhism de-emphasizes sectarian differences. Most people approach both Zen and Pure Land via Japanese lineages, and it happens that for various historical reasons sectarian divides in Japanese Buddhism are rather strictly delineated and sometimes even antagonistic. In the Chinese world nowadays it is the opposite. Our teacher always speaks of Chan as a type of practice, not a collective identity that we belong to, and other sects are characterized in terms of how they emphasize different methods of practice. The idea that they should be strictly segregated is alien to the present culture of Chinese Buddhism.

But yes, the recitation of the Buddha's name is a meditation method in Chan. In fact I believe it functions as one in Pure Land practice generally, although it is not always identified as such. Mindful recitation will help to discipline and purify a person's mental habits and bring about a change in them, even if they don't realize it. And meditation isn't just what you do while seated on a cushion. Chan practice also features activities such as prostrations and chanting, for similar reasons.