• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A collection of verses about succession before Mohammad (s).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I will comment on these, since, some of them are not as obvious.

(1)

وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ وَقَفَّيْنَا مِنْ بَعْدِهِ بِالرُّسُلِ ۖ وَآتَيْنَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ بِرُوحِ الْقُدُسِ ۗ أَفَكُلَّمَا جَاءَكُمْ رَسُولٌ بِمَا لَا تَهْوَىٰ أَنْفُسُكُمُ اسْتَكْبَرْتُمْ فَفَرِيقًا كَذَّبْتُمْ وَفَرِيقًا تَقْتُلُونَ | Certainly, We gave Moses the Book and followed him with the Messengers, and We gave Jesus, the son of Mary, manifest proofs and confirmed him with the Holy Spirit. Is it not that whenever a Messenger brought you that which was not to your liking, you would act arrogantly; so you would impugn a group [of them], and slay a[nother] group? | Al-Baqara : 87

Messengers following Musa (a) all the way to Isa (a) are successors.

(2)

وَإِذِ ابْتَلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ رَبُّهُ بِكَلِمَاتٍ فَأَتَمَّهُنَّ ۖ قَالَ إِنِّي جَاعِلُكَ لِلنَّاسِ إِمَامًا ۖ قَالَ وَمِنْ ذُرِّيَّتِي ۖ قَالَ لَا يَنَالُ عَهْدِي الظَّالِمِينَ | When his Lord tested Abraham with certain words and he fulfilled them, He said, ‘I am making you the Imam of mankind.’ Said he, ‘And from among my descendants?’ He said, ‘My pledge does not extend to the unjust.’ | Al-Baqara : 124

Imams from offspring of Ibrahim (a) reminds of succession too.

(3)

أَمْ كُنْتُمْ شُهَدَاءَ إِذْ حَضَرَ يَعْقُوبَ الْمَوْتُ إِذْ قَالَ لِبَنِيهِ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ مِنْ بَعْدِي قَالُوا نَعْبُدُ إِلَٰهَكَ وَإِلَٰهَ آبَائِكَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ إِلَٰهًا وَاحِدًا وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ | Were you witnesses when death approached Jacob, when he said to his children, ‘What will you worship after me?’ They said, ‘We will worship your God and the God of your fathers, Abraham, Ishmael, and Isaac, the One God, and to Him do we submit.’ | Al-Baqara : 133

Ibrahim, Ismail, Isaac, and Yaqoub is about succession in offspring. So again, we see reminder of succession.

(4)

قُولُوا آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَمَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَيْنَا وَمَا أُنْزِلَ إِلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطِ وَمَا أُوتِيَ مُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ وَمَا أُوتِيَ النَّبِيُّونَ مِنْ رَبِّهِمْ لَا نُفَرِّقُ بَيْنَ أَحَدٍ مِنْهُمْ وَنَحْنُ لَهُ مُسْلِمُونَ | Say, ‘We have faith in Allah and what has been sent down to us, and what was sent down to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the branches, and that which Moses and Jesus were given, and that which the prophets were given from their Lord; we make no distinction between any of them and to Him do we submit.’ | Al-Baqara : 136

Again, succession and also emphasize that Ismail, Isaac, Yaqoub (peace be upon them) are examples of "the branches" emanating from Ibrahim (a), and then it emphasizes on Musa and Isa and what all Prophets were given. It can concluded that branches is the structure that Anbiya would come in, they would not come alone, but branch off each other and the founder.

(5)

أَمْ تَقُولُونَ إِنَّ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطَ كَانُوا هُودًا أَوْ نَصَارَىٰ ۗ قُلْ أَأَنْتُمْ أَعْلَمُ أَمِ اللَّهُ ۗ وَمَنْ أَظْلَمُ مِمَّنْ كَتَمَ شَهَادَةً عِنْدَهُ مِنَ اللَّهِ ۗ وَمَا اللَّهُ بِغَافِلٍ عَمَّا تَعْمَلُونَ | [Ask them,] ‘Do you say that Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Branches were Jews or Christians?’ Say, ‘Is it you who know better, or Allah?’ And who is a greater wrongdoer than someone who conceals a testimony that is with him from Allah? And Allah is not oblivious of what you do. | Al-Baqara : 140

This links the issue with what creed Ibrahim (a) is upon, and shows since Christianity emphasizes on Isa (a) all out, it can't be the religion of Ibrahim (a) of that time, and there is a major change, and since Jews emphasize on their lineage to Ibrahim (a) and Ibrahim (a) had followers and was succeeded by his chosen offspring, that can't be the creed of Ibrahim (a) either. The branches are part of the creed of Ibrahim (a), and so we expect there to be branches to Mohammad (s) as well.

(6)

أَلَمْ تَرَ إِلَى الْمَلَإِ مِنْ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مُوسَىٰ إِذْ قَالُوا لِنَبِيٍّ لَهُمُ ابْعَثْ لَنَا مَلِكًا نُقَاتِلْ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ ۖ قَالَ هَلْ عَسَيْتُمْ إِنْ كُتِبَ عَلَيْكُمُ الْقِتَالُ أَلَّا تُقَاتِلُوا ۖ قَالُوا وَمَا لَنَا أَلَّا نُقَاتِلَ فِي سَبِيلِ اللَّهِ وَقَدْ أُخْرِجْنَا مِنْ دِيَارِنَا وَأَبْنَائِنَا ۖ فَلَمَّا كُتِبَ عَلَيْهِمُ الْقِتَالُ تَوَلَّوْا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا مِنْهُمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ عَلِيمٌ بِالظَّالِمِينَ | Have you not regarded the chiefs of the Israelites after Moses, when they said to their prophet, ‘Appoint for us a king that we may fight in the way of Allah.’ He said, ‘May it not be that you will not fight if fighting were prescribed for you?’ They said, ‘Why should we not fight in the way of Allah, when we have been expelled from our homes and [separated from] our children?’ So when fighting was prescribed for them, they turned back except a few of them, and Allah knows well the wrongdoers. | Al-Baqara : 246

The Prophet (a) after Musa (a) reminds there was succession to his office.

(7)

وَقَالَ لَهُمْ نَبِيُّهُمْ إِنَّ اللَّهَ قَدْ بَعَثَ لَكُمْ طَالُوتَ مَلِكًا ۚ قَالُوا أَنَّىٰ يَكُونُ لَهُ الْمُلْكُ عَلَيْنَا وَنَحْنُ أَحَقُّ بِالْمُلْكِ مِنْهُ وَلَمْ يُؤْتَ سَعَةً مِنَ الْمَالِ ۚ قَالَ إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَاهُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَزَادَهُ بَسْطَةً فِي الْعِلْمِ وَالْجِسْمِ ۖ وَاللَّهُ يُؤْتِي مُلْكَهُ مَنْ يَشَاءُ ۚ وَاللَّهُ وَاسِعٌ عَلِيمٌ | Their prophet said to them, ‘Allah has appointed Saul as king for you.’ They said, ‘How can he have kingship over us, when we have a greater right to kingship than him, as he has not been given ample wealth?’ He said, ‘Indeed Allah has chosen him over you, and enhanced him vastly in knowledge and physique, and Allah gives His kingship to whomever He wishes, and Allah is all-bounteous, all-knowing.’ | Al-Baqara : 247

This reminds that after Musa (a), the greatest in knowledge and capability of leadership were chosen by God, again reminding of succession.

(8)

وَقَالَ لَهُمْ نَبِيُّهُمْ إِنَّ آيَةَ مُلْكِهِ أَنْ يَأْتِيَكُمُ التَّابُوتُ فِيهِ سَكِينَةٌ مِنْ رَبِّكُمْ وَبَقِيَّةٌ مِمَّا تَرَكَ آلُ مُوسَىٰ وَآلُ هَارُونَ تَحْمِلُهُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَةً لَكُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ مُؤْمِنِينَ | Their prophet said to them, ‘Indeed the sign of his kingship shall be that the Ark will come to you, bearing tranquillity from your Lord and the relics left behind by the House of Moses and the House of Aaron, borne by the angels. There is indeed a sign in that for you, should you be faithful.’ | Al-Baqara : 248

This reminds that successors of Musa (a) are same are successors of Haroun (a) and hence the singular taraka grammar emphasizes family of Musa (a) is the family of Haroun (a) and this emphasis makes sense only if the succession went into offspring of Haroun (a) and that he is emphasizing the successors in Haroun's (a) offspring are Musa's (a) successors. Also, "family/House" is a reminder of Successors in a group term that they are closer to each other then anyone else and make a family unit.

(9)

فَهَزَمُوهُمْ بِإِذْنِ اللَّهِ وَقَتَلَ دَاوُودُ جَالُوتَ وَآتَاهُ اللَّهُ الْمُلْكَ وَالْحِكْمَةَ وَعَلَّمَهُ مِمَّا يَشَاءُ ۗ وَلَوْلَا دَفْعُ اللَّهِ النَّاسَ بَعْضَهُمْ بِبَعْضٍ لَفَسَدَتِ الْأَرْضُ وَلَٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ ذُو فَضْلٍ عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ | Thus they routed them with Allah’s will, and David killed Goliath, and Allah gave him the kingship and wisdom and taught him whatever He liked. Were it not for Allah’s repelling the people by means of one another, the earth would surely have been corrupted; but Allah is gracious to the world’s people. | Al-Baqara : 251

The emphasis on Dawood (a) with the authority/kingship is again emphasizing on succession to the office of authority and leadership, in this case of Talut (a) which Dawood (a) succeeds.

تِلْكَ الرُّسُلُ فَضَّلْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ ۘ مِنْهُمْ مَنْ كَلَّمَ اللَّهُ ۖ وَرَفَعَ بَعْضَهُمْ دَرَجَاتٍ ۚ وَآتَيْنَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ بِرُوحِ الْقُدُسِ ۗ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلَ الَّذِينَ مِنْ بَعْدِهِمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَتْهُمُ الْبَيِّنَاتُ وَلَٰكِنِ اخْتَلَفُوا فَمِنْهُمْ مَنْ آمَنَ وَمِنْهُمْ مَنْ كَفَرَ ۚ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلُوا وَلَٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْعَلُ مَا يُرِيدُ | These are the Messengers, some of whom We gave an advantage over others: of them are those to whom Allah spoke and some of them He raised in rank, and We gave Jesus, son of Mary, manifest proofs and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. Had Allah wished, those who succeeded them would not have fought one another after the manifest proofs had come to them. But they differed. So there were among them those who had faith and there were among them those who were faithless, and had Allah wished, they would not have fought one another; but Allah does whatever He desires. | Al-Baqara : 253

There is emphasis on that Messengers come in groups and then we are reminded when the last one was sent before Mohammad (s), Isa (a) and that when they are hidden from public, there is a different trial in which fighting between ourselves can occur.

(10)

إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَىٰ آدَمَ وَنُوحًا وَآلَ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَآلَ عِمْرَانَ عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ | Indeed Allah chose Adam and Noah, and the family of Abraham and the family of Imran above all the nations; | Aal-i-Imraan : 33

ذُرِّيَّةً بَعْضُهَا مِنْ بَعْضٍ ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ | some of them are descendants of the others, and Allah is all-hearing, all-knowing. | Aal-i-Imraan : 34

This is a reminder of succession again, and that they come in groups known as a family.

(11)

إِذْ قَالَتِ امْرَأَتُ عِمْرَانَ رَبِّ إِنِّي نَذَرْتُ لَكَ مَا فِي بَطْنِي مُحَرَّرًا فَتَقَبَّلْ مِنِّي ۖ إِنَّكَ أَنْتَ السَّمِيعُ الْعَلِيمُ | When the wife of Imran said, ‘My Lord, I dedicate to You in consecration what is in my belly. Accept it from me; indeed You are the All-hearing, the All-knowing.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 35

This about succession, since the wife of Imran (a) wanted a person to succeeded Imran (a).

(12)

فَلَمَّا وَضَعَتْهَا قَالَتْ رَبِّ إِنِّي وَضَعْتُهَا أُنْثَىٰ وَاللَّهُ أَعْلَمُ بِمَا وَضَعَتْ وَلَيْسَ الذَّكَرُ كَالْأُنْثَىٰ ۖ وَإِنِّي سَمَّيْتُهَا مَرْيَمَ وَإِنِّي أُعِيذُهَا بِكَ وَذُرِّيَّتَهَا مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيمِ | When she bore her, she said, ‘My Lord, I have borne a female [child]’—and Allah knew better what she had borne, and the male [child she expected] was no match for the female [child she had borne] —‘and I have named her Mary, and I commend her and her offspring to Your care against [the evil of] the outcast Satan.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 36

This again about succession, since Isa (a) would be born and be successor to Imran (a) and God didn't break his promise to the wife of Imran (a) and Imran (a).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(13)

فَتَقَبَّلَهَا رَبُّهَا بِقَبُولٍ حَسَنٍ وَأَنْبَتَهَا نَبَاتًا حَسَنًا وَكَفَّلَهَا زَكَرِيَّا ۖ كُلَّمَا دَخَلَ عَلَيْهَا زَكَرِيَّا الْمِحْرَابَ وَجَدَ عِنْدَهَا رِزْقًا ۖ قَالَ يَا مَرْيَمُ أَنَّىٰ لَكِ هَٰذَا ۖ قَالَتْ هُوَ مِنْ عِنْدِ اللَّهِ ۖ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَرْزُقُ مَنْ يَشَاءُ بِغَيْرِ حِسَابٍ | Thereupon her Lord accepted her with a gracious acceptance, and made her grow up in a worthy fashion, and He charged Zechariah with her care. Whenever Zechariah visited her in the sanctuary, he would find provisions with her. He said, ‘O Mary, from where does this come for you?’ She said, ‘It comes from Allah. Allah provides whomever He wishes without any reckoning.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 37

Zakaria (a) succeeds Imran (a) obviously through this, as he is tasked to take care of her, and he is in fact a brother of Imran (a)

(14)

هُنَالِكَ دَعَا زَكَرِيَّا رَبَّهُ ۖ قَالَ رَبِّ هَبْ لِي مِنْ لَدُنْكَ ذُرِّيَّةً طَيِّبَةً ۖ إِنَّكَ سَمِيعُ الدُّعَاءِ | Thereat Zechariah supplicated his Lord. He said, ‘My Lord! Grant me a pure offspring from You! Indeed You hear all supplications.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 38

From God means one sent from God and emphasis to be a pure means will be pure in the eyes of the people. This about succession since Zakariya (a) is worried about the trouble Mariam (a) and Isa (a) will get from his family (normal blood family) and wants to protect Isa (a) and Mariam (a) by having a direct heir as a son to his position which his family won't be able to claim closer blood ties and vie for his leadership and cause trouble. Once again, succession is reminded about.

(15)

فَنَادَتْهُ الْمَلَائِكَةُ وَهُوَ قَائِمٌ يُصَلِّي فِي الْمِحْرَابِ أَنَّ اللَّهَ يُبَشِّرُكَ بِيَحْيَىٰ مُصَدِّقًا بِكَلِمَةٍ مِنَ اللَّهِ وَسَيِّدًا وَحَصُورًا وَنَبِيًّا مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ | Then, as he stood praying in the sanctuary the angels called out to him: ‘Allah gives you the good news of Yahya, as a confirmer of a Word of Allah, eminent and chaste, a prophet, and one of the righteous.’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 39

Yahya (a) thus would prepare the way for Isa (a) again, succession.

(16)

وَإِذْ قَالَتِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ يَا مَرْيَمُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ اصْطَفَاكِ وَطَهَّرَكِ وَاصْطَفَاكِ عَلَىٰ نِسَاءِ الْعَالَمِينَ | And when the angels said, ‘O Mary, Allah has chosen you and purified you, and He has chosen you above women of the world. | Aal-i-Imraan : 42

This about how Mariam (a) is purified in reputation and so succession makes sense through her son, to the household of Nubuwa and linkage back to Dawood (a) and Haroun (a). This relates to succession again, a bit less so, but still.

(17)

إِذْ قَالَتِ الْمَلَائِكَةُ يَا مَرْيَمُ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يُبَشِّرُكِ بِكَلِمَةٍ مِنْهُ اسْمُهُ الْمَسِيحُ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ وَجِيهًا فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ وَمِنَ الْمُقَرَّبِينَ | When the angels said, ‘O Mary, Allah gives you the good news of a Word from Him whose name is Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, distinguished in the world and the Hereafter and one of those brought near [to Allah]. | Aal-i-Imraan : 45

Isa (a) and his link to the household of Nubuwa, again, about his succession right and proof.

(18)

فَلَمَّا أَحَسَّ عِيسَىٰ مِنْهُمُ الْكُفْرَ قَالَ مَنْ أَنْصَارِي إِلَى اللَّهِ ۖ قَالَ الْحَوَارِيُّونَ نَحْنُ أَنْصَارُ اللَّهِ آمَنَّا بِاللَّهِ وَاشْهَدْ بِأَنَّا مُسْلِمُونَ | When Jesus sensed their faithlessness, he said, ‘Who will be my helpers [on the path] toward Allah?’ The Disciples said, ‘We will be helpers of Allah. We have faith in Allah, and you be witness that we have submitted [to Him]. | Aal-i-Imraan : 52

This shows that after Isa (a), disciples play a major role, and so we can see successors to Isa (a) paved the way for disciples and their successors (fallible but honorable and chosen in this world, not pre world people) to prepare the way for Mohammad (s) and hold their ground.

(19)

الَّذِينَ قَالُوا إِنَّ اللَّهَ عَهِدَ إِلَيْنَا أَلَّا نُؤْمِنَ لِرَسُولٍ حَتَّىٰ يَأْتِيَنَا بِقُرْبَانٍ تَأْكُلُهُ النَّارُ ۗ قُلْ قَدْ جَاءَكُمْ رُسُلٌ مِنْ قَبْلِي بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ وَبِالَّذِي قُلْتُمْ فَلِمَ قَتَلْتُمُوهُمْ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ صَادِقِينَ | Tell those who say, ‘Allah has pledged us not to believe in any Messenger unless he brings us an offering consumed by fire,’ ‘Messengers before me certainly did bring you manifest signs and what you speak of. Then why did you kill them, if you are truthful?’ | Aal-i-Imraan : 183

This again reminds of the Bani-Israel Messengers that came in succession.

(20)

إِنَّا أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْكَ كَمَا أَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ نُوحٍ وَالنَّبِيِّينَ مِنْ بَعْدِهِ ۚ وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَالْأَسْبَاطِ وَعِيسَىٰ وَأَيُّوبَ وَيُونُسَ وَهَارُونَ وَسُلَيْمَانَ ۚ وَآتَيْنَا دَاوُودَ زَبُورًا | We have indeed revealed to you as We revealed to Noah and the prophets after him, and [as] We revealed to Abraham and Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob, and the Branches, Jesus and Job, Jonah, Aaron, and Solomon—and We gave David the Psalms— | An-Nisaa : 163

Ibrahim (a) and his branches (a) again, we see reminder, then we go to Isa (a) who is last before Mohammad (s), then get reminded of two souls way before, then Haroun (a) and then Sulaiman (A) and Dawood (a) all of which are branches of Musa (a).

(21)

رُسُلًا مُبَشِّرِينَ وَمُنْذِرِينَ لِئَلَّا يَكُونَ لِلنَّاسِ عَلَى اللَّهِ حُجَّةٌ بَعْدَ الرُّسُلِ ۚ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَزِيزًا حَكِيمًا | apostles, as bearers of good news and warners, so that mankind may not have any argument against Allah, after the [sending of the] apostles; and Allah is all-mighty, all-wise. | An-Nisaa : 165

We can seen the Messengers coming in groups is part of how God establishes his proof and argument.

(22)

يَا أَهْلَ الْكِتَابِ لَا تَغْلُوا فِي دِينِكُمْ وَلَا تَقُولُوا عَلَى اللَّهِ إِلَّا الْحَقَّ ۚ إِنَّمَا الْمَسِيحُ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ وَكَلِمَتُهُ أَلْقَاهَا إِلَىٰ مَرْيَمَ وَرُوحٌ مِنْهُ ۖ فَآمِنُوا بِاللَّهِ وَرُسُلِهِ ۖ وَلَا تَقُولُوا ثَلَاثَةٌ ۚ انْتَهُوا خَيْرًا لَكُمْ ۚ إِنَّمَا اللَّهُ إِلَٰهٌ وَاحِدٌ ۖ سُبْحَانَهُ أَنْ يَكُونَ لَهُ وَلَدٌ ۘ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ ۗ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ وَكِيلًا | O People of the Book! Do not exceed the bounds in your religion, and do not attribute anything to Allah except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus son of Mary, was only an apostle of Allah, and His Word that He cast toward Mary and a spirit from Him. So have faith in Allah and His apostles, and do not say, ‘[God is] a trinity.’ Relinquish [such a creed]! That is better for you. Allah is but the One God. He is far too immaculate to have any son. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth, and Allah suffices as trustee. | An-Nisaa : 171

Going into extreme and not seeing Isa (a) as same reality as his predecessors and emphasizing on one and distinguishing him above others, is the foundation of what lead to more extremism to the extent they worshiped Isa (a). Again, succession we can see if we take an chosen group and ahlulbayt as one and also see in the past there were other Ahlulbayts to be the way towards God, we won't go to such extremes.

(23)

قَالَ رَبِّ إِنِّي لَا أَمْلِكُ إِلَّا نَفْسِي وَأَخِي ۖ فَافْرُقْ بَيْنَنَا وَبَيْنَ الْقَوْمِ الْفَاسِقِينَ | He said, ‘My Lord! I have no power over [anyone] except myself and my brother, so part us from the transgressing lot.’ | Al-Maaida : 25

This emphasizes that Haroun (a) is the true successor of Musa (a) as no one else was fit to succeed him or else Musa (a) would have control over that person.

(24)

وَلَقَدْ أَخَذَ اللَّهُ مِيثَاقَ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَبَعَثْنَا مِنْهُمُ اثْنَيْ عَشَرَ نَقِيبًا ۖ وَقَالَ اللَّهُ إِنِّي مَعَكُمْ ۖ لَئِنْ أَقَمْتُمُ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتَيْتُمُ الزَّكَاةَ وَآمَنْتُمْ بِرُسُلِي وَعَزَّرْتُمُوهُمْ وَأَقْرَضْتُمُ اللَّهَ قَرْضًا حَسَنًا لَأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنْكُمْ سَيِّئَاتِكُمْ وَلَأُدْخِلَنَّكُمْ جَنَّاتٍ تَجْرِي مِنْ تَحْتِهَا الْأَنْهَارُ ۚ فَمَنْ كَفَرَ بَعْدَ ذَٰلِكَ مِنْكُمْ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ سَوَاءَ السَّبِيلِ | Certainly Allah took a pledge from the Children of Israel, and We raised among them twelve captains. And Allah said, ‘I am with you! Surely, if you maintain the prayer and give the zakat and have faith in My Messengers and support them and lend Allah a good loan, I will surely absolve you of your misdeeds, and I will surely admit you into gardens with streams running in them. But whoever of you disbelieves after that has certainly strayed from the right way.’ | Al-Maaida : 12

This shows there but Twelve Captains to succeed Musa (a) and so not only emphasizes on the succession of these Messengers to be helped, but on the number Twelve.

(25)

إِنَّا أَنْزَلْنَا التَّوْرَاةَ فِيهَا هُدًى وَنُورٌ ۚ يَحْكُمُ بِهَا النَّبِيُّونَ الَّذِينَ أَسْلَمُوا لِلَّذِينَ هَادُوا وَالرَّبَّانِيُّونَ وَالْأَحْبَارُ بِمَا اسْتُحْفِظُوا مِنْ كِتَابِ اللَّهِ وَكَانُوا عَلَيْهِ شُهَدَاءَ ۚ فَلَا تَخْشَوُا النَّاسَ وَاخْشَوْنِ وَلَا تَشْتَرُوا بِآيَاتِي ثَمَنًا قَلِيلًا ۚ وَمَنْ لَمْ يَحْكُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ فَأُولَٰئِكَ هُمُ الْكَافِرُونَ | We sent down the Torah containing guidance and light. The prophets, who had submitted, judged by it for the Jews, and for the rabbis and the scribes, as they were charged to preserve the Book of Allah and were witnesses to it. So do not fear the people, but fear Me, and do not sell My signs for a paltry gain. Those who do not judge by what Allah has sent down—it is they who are the faithless. | Al-Maaida : 44

This shows Prophets (a) were to safeguard the book of God and judge by it for Jews and the Rabbis and scribes, and this again we see wisdom in succession.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(27)

مَا قُلْتُ لَهُمْ إِلَّا مَا أَمَرْتَنِي بِهِ أَنِ اعْبُدُوا اللَّهَ رَبِّي وَرَبَّكُمْ ۚ وَكُنْتُ عَلَيْهِمْ شَهِيدًا مَا دُمْتُ فِيهِمْ ۖ فَلَمَّا تَوَفَّيْتَنِي كُنْتَ أَنْتَ الرَّقِيبَ عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ وَأَنْتَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ | I did not say to them [anything] except what You had commanded me [to say]: ‘‘Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord.’’ And I was a witness to them so long as I was among them. But when You had taken me away, You Yourself were watchful over them, and You are witness to all things. | Al-Maaida : 117

This shows Isa (a) was a witness so long as he was among them, and this will be key when a verse about Elyas (a) returning with Isa (a) is discussed and how he became the hidden leader on earth till Mohammad (s) arrived. So there is succession to the witnessing role as well and we will see tons of these in part 3 where verses both about succession to Mohammad (s) and the past successors are shown.

(28)

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ إِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ ۚ كُلًّا هَدَيْنَا ۚ وَنُوحًا هَدَيْنَا مِنْ قَبْلُ ۖ وَمِنْ ذُرِّيَّتِهِ دَاوُودَ وَسُلَيْمَانَ وَأَيُّوبَ وَيُوسُفَ وَمُوسَىٰ وَهَارُونَ ۚ وَكَذَٰلِكَ نَجْزِي الْمُحْسِنِينَ | And We gave him Isaac and Jacob and guided each of them. And Noah We had guided before, and from his offspring, David and Solomon, Job, Joseph, Moses and Aaron—thus do We reward the virtuous— | Al-An'aam : 84

Isaac (a) and Yaqoub (a) pair up as successor. Dawood (a) and Sulaiman (a) do too. Job (a) and Joseph (a) not immediate, but reveals Ayub is from before Ibrahim (a), but from offspring of Nuh (a). Musa (a) and Haroun (a) pair up as successors and this emphasizing again Haroun (a) is the true successor.

(29)

وَزَكَرِيَّا وَيَحْيَىٰ وَعِيسَىٰ وَإِلْيَاسَ ۖ كُلٌّ مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ | and Zechariah, John, Jesus and Ilyas—each of them among the righteous— | Al-An'aam : 85

Zakaria (a) is succeeded by Yahya (a) who is succeeded but Isa (a) who is succeeded by Elyas (a) and we will see there is similar logic to where Idris (a) appears, as both Elyas (a) and Idris (a) are alive and Elyas (a) became the Imam on earth when Isa (a) was raised to heaven. This is why Isa (a) in Injeel emphasizes that Elyas (a) is returned through philosophy you had someone like him (Yahya) but they didn't recognize him but killed him, and so likewise Isa (a) is not recognized, so it makes sense then Elyas (a) be hidden till Mohammad (s). Also some disciples witnessed Musa (a) and Elyas (a) testifying to Isa (a) and why Musa (a) to show the founder is with him, and why Elyas (a) out of all the rest? Because Elyas (a) still still alive.

This a major verse about succession, and one of the two places Elyas (a) name is mentioned.

وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَالْيَسَعَ وَيُونُسَ وَلُوطًا ۚ وَكُلًّا فَضَّلْنَا عَلَى الْعَالَمِينَ | and Ishmael, Elisha, Jonah and Lot—each We graced over all the nations— | Al-An'aam : 86

Ismail (a) is before Elyasa (a), Yonus (a) before Lut (a). Lut (a) is a successor of Ibrahim (a) as well. Elyasa (a) is successor of Elyas (a). The disrupted order makes sense because of the next verse.

(30)

وَمِنْ آبَائِهِمْ وَذُرِّيَّاتِهِمْ وَإِخْوَانِهِمْ ۖ وَاجْتَبَيْنَاهُمْ وَهَدَيْنَاهُمْ إِلَىٰ صِرَاطٍ مُسْتَقِيمٍ | and from among their fathers, their descendants and brethren—We chose them and guided them to a straight path. | Al-An'aam : 87

This emphasizing on succession in kinship and big verse for succession.

(31)

رَبِّ مُوسَىٰ وَهَارُونَ | the Lord of Moses and Aaron.’ | Al-A'raaf : 122

Emphasis on successor with the founder.

(32)

وَوَاعَدْنَا مُوسَىٰ ثَلَاثِينَ لَيْلَةً وَأَتْمَمْنَاهَا بِعَشْرٍ فَتَمَّ مِيقَاتُ رَبِّهِ أَرْبَعِينَ لَيْلَةً ۚ وَقَالَ مُوسَىٰ لِأَخِيهِ هَارُونَ اخْلُفْنِي فِي قَوْمِي وَأَصْلِحْ وَلَا تَتَّبِعْ سَبِيلَ الْمُفْسِدِينَ | We made an appointment with Moses for thirty nights, and completed them with ten [more]; thus the tryst of his Lord was completed in forty nights. And Moses said to Aaron, his brother, ‘Be my successor among my people, and set things right and do not follow the way of the agents of corruption.’ | Al-A'raaf : 142

Again emphasizing on a chosen one continuing to lead the people in absence of another.

(33)

وَلَمَّا رَجَعَ مُوسَىٰ إِلَىٰ قَوْمِهِ غَضْبَانَ أَسِفًا قَالَ بِئْسَمَا خَلَفْتُمُونِي مِنْ بَعْدِي ۖ أَعَجِلْتُمْ أَمْرَ رَبِّكُمْ ۖ وَأَلْقَى الْأَلْوَاحَ وَأَخَذَ بِرَأْسِ أَخِيهِ يَجُرُّهُ إِلَيْهِ ۚ قَالَ ابْنَ أُمَّ إِنَّ الْقَوْمَ اسْتَضْعَفُونِي وَكَادُوا يَقْتُلُونَنِي فَلَا تُشْمِتْ بِيَ الْأَعْدَاءَ وَلَا تَجْعَلْنِي مَعَ الْقَوْمِ الظَّالِمِينَ | When Moses returned to his people, angry and indignant, he said, ‘Evil has been your conduct in my absence! Would you hasten on the edict of your Lord?’ He threw down the tablets and seized his brother by the head, pulling him towards himself. He said, ‘Son of my mother, indeed this people thought me to be weak, and they were about to kill me. So do not let the enemies gloat over me, and do not take me with the wrongdoing lot.’ | Al-A'raaf : 150

This shows Satanic whispers to make people belittle the successor of a founder and so again we see important to the topic of succession.

(34)

وَمِنْ قَوْمِ مُوسَىٰ أُمَّةٌ يَهْدُونَ بِالْحَقِّ وَبِهِ يَعْدِلُونَ | And from the people of Moses is a course who guide [the people] by the truth and do justice thereby. | Al-A'raaf : 159

وَقَطَّعْنَاهُمُ اثْنَتَيْ عَشْرَةَ أَسْبَاطًا أُمَمًا ۚ وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ مُوسَىٰ إِذِ اسْتَسْقَاهُ قَوْمُهُ أَنِ اضْرِبْ بِعَصَاكَ الْحَجَرَ ۖ فَانْبَجَسَتْ مِنْهُ اثْنَتَا عَشْرَةَ عَيْنًا ۖ قَدْ عَلِمَ كُلُّ أُنَاسٍ مَشْرَبَهُمْ ۚ وَظَلَّلْنَا عَلَيْهِمُ الْغَمَامَ وَأَنْزَلْنَا عَلَيْهِمُ الْمَنَّ وَالسَّلْوَىٰ ۖ كُلُوا مِنْ طَيِّبَاتِ مَا رَزَقْنَاكُمْ ۚ وَمَا ظَلَمُونَا وَلَٰكِنْ كَانُوا أَنْفُسَهُمْ يَظْلِمُونَ | We split them up into twelve branches as courses, and We revealed to Moses, when his people asked him for water, [saying], ‘Strike the rock with your staff,’ whereat twelve fountains gushed forth from it. Every people came to know its drinking-place. And We shaded them with clouds, and We sent down to them manna and quails: ‘Eat of the good things We have provided you.’ And they did not wrong Us, but they used to wrong [only] themselves. | Al-A'raaf : 160

The twelve successors of Musa (a) are emphasized to be one course from one angle and twelve branches as courses as well, and so individually a course too.

(35)

ثُمَّ بَعَثْنَا مِنْ بَعْدِهِمْ مُوسَىٰ وَهَارُونَ إِلَىٰ فِرْعَوْنَ وَمَلَئِهِ بِآيَاتِنَا فَاسْتَكْبَرُوا وَكَانُوا قَوْمًا مُجْرِمِينَ | Then, after them, We sent Moses and Aaron to Pharaoh and his elite with Our signs, but they acted arrogantly and they were a guilty lot. | Yunus : 75

Again Haroun (a) is emphasized who is the successor of Musa (a).

(36)

وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَىٰ مُوسَىٰ وَأَخِيهِ أَنْ تَبَوَّآ لِقَوْمِكُمَا بِمِصْرَ بُيُوتًا وَاجْعَلُوا بُيُوتَكُمْ قِبْلَةً وَأَقِيمُوا الصَّلَاةَ ۗ وَبَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ | We revealed to Moses and his brother [saying], ‘Settle your people in the city, and let your houses be a Qibla, and maintain the prayer, and give good news to the faithful.’ | Yunus : 87

Notice the grammar, two used for "Your people", but plural is used for houses (more then two), this is because Mariam (a) (the first Mariam (A) is included, and again, shows importance of an Ahlulbayt concept who are holy.

(37)

ثُمَّ نُنَجِّي رُسُلَنَا وَالَّذِينَ آمَنُوا ۚ كَذَٰلِكَ حَقًّا عَلَيْنَا نُنْجِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ | Then We shall deliver Our Messengers and those who have faith. Thus, it is a must for Us to deliver the faithful. | Yunus : 103

This shows there is always a Faraj to the group, the only difference it's usually a new Messenger that founds an Ahlulbayt that is the Faraj, but in our case the Faraj is from the the Ahlulbayt (a) appointed for us, as Mohammad (s) is the end of all Anbiya (a).

(38)

قَالَ يَا نُوحُ إِنَّهُ لَيْسَ مِنْ أَهْلِكَ ۖ إِنَّهُ عَمَلٌ غَيْرُ صَالِحٍ ۖ فَلَا تَسْأَلْنِ مَا لَيْسَ لَكَ بِهِ عِلْمٌ ۖ إِنِّي أَعِظُكَ أَنْ تَكُونَ مِنَ الْجَاهِلِينَ | Said He, ‘O Noah! Indeed, He is not of your family. Indeed, he is [personification of] unrighteous conduct. So do not ask Me [something] of which you have no knowledge. I advise you lest you should be among the ignorant.’ | Hud : 46

The true members of an Ahlulbayt cannot have unrighteous conduct. Again linked to the topic of succession.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(39)

وَامْرَأَتُهُ قَائِمَةٌ فَضَحِكَتْ فَبَشَّرْنَاهَا بِإِسْحَاقَ وَمِنْ وَرَاءِ إِسْحَاقَ يَعْقُوبَ | His wife, standing by, laughed as We gave her the good news of [the birth of] Isaac, and of Jacob, after Isaac. | Hud : 71

This about succession and holy position of Sarah (a) and Ibrahim (a) in founding such a family.

(40)

قَالُوا أَتَعْجَبِينَ مِنْ أَمْرِ اللَّهِ ۖ رَحْمَتُ اللَّهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ عَلَيْكُمْ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ ۚ إِنَّهُ حَمِيدٌ مَجِيدٌ | They said, ‘Are you amazed at Allah’s dispensation? [That is] Allah’s mercy and His blessings upon you, members of the household. Indeed He is all-laudable, all-glorious.’ | Hud : 73

This again about an Ahlulbayt who succeeded one another, again succession is emphasized.

(41)

وَكَذَٰلِكَ يَجْتَبِيكَ رَبُّكَ وَيُعَلِّمُكَ مِنْ تَأْوِيلِ الْأَحَادِيثِ وَيُتِمُّ نِعْمَتَهُ عَلَيْكَ وَعَلَىٰ آلِ يَعْقُوبَ كَمَا أَتَمَّهَا عَلَىٰ أَبَوَيْكَ مِنْ قَبْلُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْحَاقَ ۚ إِنَّ رَبَّكَ عَلِيمٌ حَكِيمٌ | That is how your Lord will choose you, and teach you the interpretation of dreams, and complete His blessing upon you and upon the house of Jacob, just as He completed it earlier for your fathers, Abraham and Isaac. Your Lord is indeed all-knowing and all-wise.’ | Yusuf : 6

This shows wisdom of having branches such as Yusuf (a) to Ibrahim (a) and wisdom of it and this story manifests a lot of wisdom in this regard. Succession is definitely important part of this story and envy of his brothers is directly related to that.

(42)

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي وَهَبَ لِي عَلَى الْكِبَرِ إِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِسْحَاقَ ۚ إِنَّ رَبِّي لَسَمِيعُ الدُّعَاءِ | All praise belongs to Allah, who gave me Ishmael and Isaac despite [my] old age. Indeed my Lord hears all supplications. | Ibrahim : 39

Succession again as a favor from God.

(43)

قَالُوا لَا تَوْجَلْ إِنَّا نُبَشِّرُكَ بِغُلَامٍ عَلِيمٍ | They said, ‘Do not be afraid. Indeed we give you the good news of a knowledgeable son.’ | Al-Hijr : 53

Succession again.

(44)

وَإِنِّي خِفْتُ الْمَوَالِيَ مِنْ وَرَائِي وَكَانَتِ امْرَأَتِي عَاقِرًا فَهَبْ لِي مِنْ لَدُنْكَ وَلِيًّا | Indeed I fear my kinsmen, after me, and my wife is barren. So grant me from Yourself an heir | Maryam : 5

يَرِثُنِي وَيَرِثُ مِنْ آلِ يَعْقُوبَ ۖ وَاجْعَلْهُ رَبِّ رَضِيًّا | who may inherit from me and inherit from the House of Jacob, and make him, my Lord, pleasing [to You]!’ | Maryam : 6

يَا زَكَرِيَّا إِنَّا نُبَشِّرُكَ بِغُلَامٍ اسْمُهُ يَحْيَىٰ لَمْ نَجْعَلْ لَهُ مِنْ قَبْلُ سَمِيًّا | ‘O Zechariah! Indeed We give you the good news of a son, whose name is Yahya.’ Never before have We made anyone his namesake.’ | Maryam : 7

Succession and importance of it is emphasized, because Zakariya (a) feared people causing Isa (a) and Mariam (a) trouble from his kinship.

(55)

وَحَنَانًا مِنْ لَدُنَّا وَزَكَاةً ۖ وَكَانَ تَقِيًّا | and a compassion and purity from Us. He was Godwary | Maryam : 13

This shows wisdom in continuing sending such holy souls in quick succession.

(56)

ذَٰلِكَ عِيسَى ابْنُ مَرْيَمَ ۚ قَوْلَ الْحَقِّ الَّذِي فِيهِ يَمْتَرُونَ | That is Jesus, son of Mary, a Word of the Real concerning whom they are in doubt. | Maryam : 34

Shows the balanced view is to see him as a successor to Yahya (a) and see Musa (a) to Isa (a) as one course and group and that things go haywire when you distinguish between the group members in importance in an Ahlulbayt. Again, succession is important.

(57)

فَلَمَّا اعْتَزَلَهُمْ وَمَا يَعْبُدُونَ مِنْ دُونِ اللَّهِ وَهَبْنَا لَهُ إِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ ۖ وَكُلًّا جَعَلْنَا نَبِيًّا | So when he had left them and what they worshipped besides Allah, We gave him Isaac and Jacob, and each We made a prophet. | Maryam : 49

Again, wisdom of succession in offspring.

(58)

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُمْ مِنْ رَحْمَتِنَا وَجَعَلْنَا لَهُمْ لِسَانَ صِدْقٍ عَلِيًّا | And We gave them out of Our mercy, and conferred on them a worthy and lofty repute. | Maryam : 50

Again emphasizing succession is a mercy from God and he made them of high reputation out of a favor to mankind.

(59)

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ مِنْ رَحْمَتِنَا أَخَاهُ هَارُونَ نَبِيًّا | And We gave him out of Our mercy his brother Aaron, a prophet. | Maryam : 53

Similarly, Haroun (a) is a mercy with respect to Musa (a).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(60)

وَاذْكُرْ فِي الْكِتَابِ إِسْمَاعِيلَ ۚ إِنَّهُ كَانَ صَادِقَ الْوَعْدِ وَكَانَ رَسُولًا نَبِيًّا | And mention in the Book Ishmael. Indeed, he was true to his promise, and an apostle and prophet. | Maryam : 54

Ismail (a) a successor of Ibrahim (a). Again, succession.

(61)

وَرَفَعْنَاهُ مَكَانًا عَلِيًّا | and We raised him to a high place. | Maryam : 57

This saving of him and raising, will combine with another verse to show importance of succession (order matters in the verse I will explain therein).

(62)

أُولَٰئِكَ الَّذِينَ أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِمْ مِنَ النَّبِيِّينَ مِنْ ذُرِّيَّةِ آدَمَ وَمِمَّنْ حَمَلْنَا مَعَ نُوحٍ وَمِنْ ذُرِّيَّةِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْرَائِيلَ وَمِمَّنْ هَدَيْنَا وَاجْتَبَيْنَا ۚ إِذَا تُتْلَىٰ عَلَيْهِمْ آيَاتُ الرَّحْمَٰنِ خَرُّوا سُجَّدًا وَبُكِيًّا | They are the ones whom Allah bestowed favor upon from among the prophets of Adam’s progeny, and from [the progeny of] those We carried with Noah, and from among the progeny of Abraham and Israel, and from among those that We guided and chose. When the signs of the All-beneficent were recited to them, they would fall down weeping in prostration. | Maryam : 58

Again, succession is emphasized, even going back to the offspring of Adam (a).

(63)

قَالَ رَبِّ اشْرَحْ لِي صَدْرِي | He said, ‘My Lord! Open my breast for me. | Taa-Haa : 25

وَيَسِّرْ لِي أَمْرِي | Make my task easy for me. | Taa-Haa : 26

وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِنْ لِسَانِي | Remove the hitch from my tongue, | Taa-Haa : 27

يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي | [so that] they may understand my speech. | Taa-Haa : 28

وَاجْعَلْ لِي وَزِيرًا مِنْ أَهْلِي |And appoint for me a minister from my family, | Taa-Haa : 29

هَارُونَ أَخِي | Aaron, my brother. | Taa-Haa : 30

اشْدُدْ بِهِ أَزْرِي | Strengthen my back through him, | Taa-Haa : 31

وَأَشْرِكْهُ فِي أَمْرِي | and make him my associate in my task, | Taa-Haa : 32

كَيْ نُسَبِّحَكَ كَثِيرًا | so that we may glorify You greatly, | Taa-Haa : 33

This is about wisdom of appointing a successor from the start.

(64)

فَأُلْقِيَ السَّحَرَةُ سُجَّدًا قَالُوا آمَنَّا بِرَبِّ هَارُونَ وَمُوسَىٰ | Thereat the magicians fell down prostrating. They said, ‘We have believed in the Lord of Aaron and Moses!’ | Taa-Haa : 70

Again, Haroun (a) is emphasized who is a successor.

(65)

وَلَقَدْ قَالَ لَهُمْ هَارُونُ مِنْ قَبْلُ يَا قَوْمِ إِنَّمَا فُتِنْتُمْ بِهِ ۖ وَإِنَّ رَبَّكُمُ الرَّحْمَٰنُ فَاتَّبِعُونِي وَأَطِيعُوا أَمْرِي | Aaron had certainly told them earlier, ‘O my people! You are only being tested by it. Indeed your Lord is the All-beneficent. So follow me and obey my command!’ | Taa-Haa : 90

Haroun (a) if followed would have prevented people from going astray, again, importance of successor and following him.

(66)

قَالُوا لَنْ نَبْرَحَ عَلَيْهِ عَاكِفِينَ حَتَّىٰ يَرْجِعَ إِلَيْنَا مُوسَىٰ | They had said, ‘We will keep on clinging to it until Moses returns to us.’ | Taa-Haa : 91

This shows people often divided after accepting founder but rejecting the successor.

(67)

قَالَ يَا ابْنَ أُمَّ لَا تَأْخُذْ بِلِحْيَتِي وَلَا بِرَأْسِي ۖ إِنِّي خَشِيتُ أَنْ تَقُولَ فَرَّقْتَ بَيْنَ بَنِي إِسْرَائِيلَ وَلَمْ تَرْقُبْ قَوْلِي | He said, ‘O son of my mother! Do not grab my beard or my head! I feared lest you should say, ‘‘You have caused a rift among the Children of Israel and did not heed my word [of advice].’’’ | Taa-Haa : 94

Division while they would be united if Musa (a) comes back speaks volumes of the issue of succession.

(68)

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ إِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ نَافِلَةً ۖ وَكُلًّا جَعَلْنَا صَالِحِينَ | And We gave him Isaac, and Jacob as well for a grandson, and each of them We made righteous. | Al-Anbiyaa : 72

وَجَعَلْنَاهُمْ أَئِمَّةً يَهْدُونَ بِأَمْرِنَا وَأَوْحَيْنَا إِلَيْهِمْ فِعْلَ الْخَيْرَاتِ وَإِقَامَ الصَّلَاةِ وَإِيتَاءَ الزَّكَاةِ ۖ وَكَانُوا لَنَا عَابِدِينَ | We made them leaders, guiding by Our command, and We revealed to them [concerning] the performance of good deeds, the maintenance of prayers, and the giving of zakat, and they used to worship Us. | Al-Anbiyaa : 73

Succession again, and with respect to leadership.

(69)

وَلُوطًا آتَيْنَاهُ حُكْمًا وَعِلْمًا وَنَجَّيْنَاهُ مِنَ الْقَرْيَةِ الَّتِي كَانَتْ تَعْمَلُ الْخَبَائِثَ ۗ إِنَّهُمْ كَانُوا قَوْمَ سَوْءٍ فَاسِقِينَ | And Lut, we gave him judgement and knowledge, and We delivered him from the town which used to commit vicious acts. Indeed, they were an evil and depraved lot. | Al-Anbiyaa : 74

So Lut (a) was as well a chosen leader and successor to Ibrahim (a) (he his nephew kinship wise).

(70)

وَنُوحًا إِذْ نَادَىٰ مِنْ قَبْلُ فَاسْتَجَبْنَا لَهُ فَنَجَّيْنَاهُ وَأَهْلَهُ مِنَ الْكَرْبِ الْعَظِيمِ | And before that Noah, when he called out, We responded to him and delivered him and his family from the great agony. | Al-Anbiyaa : 76

Nuh (a) and his true family (a) succession is reminded of.

(71)

وَدَاوُودَ وَسُلَيْمَانَ إِذْ يَحْكُمَانِ فِي الْحَرْثِ إِذْ نَفَشَتْ فِيهِ غَنَمُ الْقَوْمِ وَكُنَّا لِحُكْمِهِمْ شَاهِدِينَ | And [remember] David and Solomon when they gave judgement concerning the tillage when the sheep of some people strayed into it by night, and We were witness to their judgement. | Al-Anbiyaa : 78

فَفَهَّمْنَاهَا سُلَيْمَانَ ۚ وَكُلًّا آتَيْنَا حُكْمًا وَعِلْمًا ۚ وَسَخَّرْنَا مَعَ دَاوُودَ الْجِبَالَ يُسَبِّحْنَ وَالطَّيْرَ ۚ وَكُنَّا فَاعِلِينَ | We gave its understanding to Solomon, and to each We gave judgement and knowledge. We disposed the mountains and the birds to glorify [Us] with David, and We have been the doer [of these things]. | Al-Anbiyaa : 79

This shows Sulaiman (a) was the only one with the wisdom to succeed Dawood (a).

(72)

فَاسْتَجَبْنَا لَهُ فَكَشَفْنَا مَا بِهِ مِنْ ضُرٍّ ۖ وَآتَيْنَاهُ أَهْلَهُ وَمِثْلَهُمْ مَعَهُمْ رَحْمَةً مِنْ عِنْدِنَا وَذِكْرَىٰ لِلْعَابِدِينَ | So We answered his prayer and removed his distress, and We gave him his family along with others like them, as a mercy from Us and an admonition for the devout. | Al-Anbiyaa : 84

The family and likes of them, in my view is the Ahlulbayts who were with him in his hardship.

(73)

وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِدْرِيسَ وَذَا الْكِفْلِ ۖ كُلٌّ مِنَ الصَّابِرِينَ | And [remember] Ishmael, Idris, and Dhul-Kifl—each of them was among the patient. | Al-Anbiyaa : 85

Notice Idris (a) comes AFTER Ismail (a), this is because Ismail (a) died, while Idris (a) is alive and was brought up like Isa (a), and then Dul-Kifl is mentioned because he comes after Idris (a) in a different sense. So him in the middle makes sense, in one way, he will come back and succeed Ismail (a) and in another way Dul-Kifl is a successor of Idris (a) (far successors same way Mohammad (S) is successor to Adam (a)).

(74)

وَزَكَرِيَّا إِذْ نَادَىٰ رَبَّهُ رَبِّ لَا تَذَرْنِي فَرْدًا وَأَنْتَ خَيْرُ الْوَارِثِينَ | And [remember] Zechariah, when he cried out to his Lord, ‘My Lord! Do not leave me without an heir, and You are the best of inheritors.’ | Al-Anbiyaa : 89

فَاسْتَجَبْنَا لَهُ وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ يَحْيَىٰ وَأَصْلَحْنَا لَهُ زَوْجَهُ ۚ إِنَّهُمْ كَانُوا يُسَارِعُونَ فِي الْخَيْرَاتِ وَيَدْعُونَنَا رَغَبًا وَرَهَبًا ۖ وَكَانُوا لَنَا خَاشِعِينَ | So We answered his prayer, and gave him Yahya, and cured for him his wife [of infertility]. Indeed, they were active in [performing] good works, and they would supplicate Us with eagerness and awe and were humble before Us. | Al-Anbiyaa : 90

Yahya (a) successor of Zakariya (a).

(75)

وَالَّتِي أَحْصَنَتْ فَرْجَهَا فَنَفَخْنَا فِيهَا مِنْ رُوحِنَا وَجَعَلْنَاهَا وَابْنَهَا آيَةً لِلْعَالَمِينَ | And [remember] her who guarded her chastity, so We breathed into her Our spirit, and made her and her son a sign for all the nations. | Al-Anbiyaa : 91

They were one sign, huge issue with respect to succession.

(76)

إِنَّ هَٰذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَأَنَا رَبُّكُمْ فَاعْبُدُونِ | Indeed this course of yours is one course, and I am your Lord. So worship Me. | Al-Anbiyaa : 92

وَتَقَطَّعُوا أَمْرَهُمْ بَيْنَهُمْ ۖ كُلٌّ إِلَيْنَا رَاجِعُونَ | They have fragmented their authority among themselves, but everyone of them will return to Us. | Al-Anbiyaa : 93

This shows successors were meant to be held all together with the founder, and founders need their nation to hold on to their successors as one course.

(77)

ثُمَّ أَرْسَلْنَا رُسُلَنَا تَتْرَىٰ ۖ كُلَّ مَا جَاءَ أُمَّةً رَسُولُهَا كَذَّبُوهُ ۚ فَأَتْبَعْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ بَعْضًا وَجَعَلْنَاهُمْ أَحَادِيثَ ۚ فَبُعْدًا لِقَوْمٍ لَا يُؤْمِنُونَ | Then We sent Our apostles successively. Whenever there came to a nation its apostle, they impugned him, so We made them follow one another [to extinction] and We turned them into folktales. So away with the faithless lot! | Al-Muminoon : 44

Succession of Messengers to each other is emphasized.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(78)

ثُمَّ أَرْسَلْنَا مُوسَىٰ وَأَخَاهُ هَارُونَ بِآيَاتِنَا وَسُلْطَانٍ مُبِينٍ | Then We sent Moses and Aaron, his brother, with Our signs and a manifest authority | Al-Muminoon : 45

Again, Haroun (a).

(79)

وَجَعَلْنَا ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ وَأُمَّهُ آيَةً وَآوَيْنَاهُمَا إِلَىٰ رَبْوَةٍ ذَاتِ قَرَارٍ وَمَعِينٍ | and We made the son of Mary and his mother a sign, and sheltered them in a level highland with flowing water. | Al-Muminoon : 50

One sign.

(80)

يَا أَيُّهَا الرُّسُلُ كُلُوا مِنَ الطَّيِّبَاتِ وَاعْمَلُوا صَالِحًا ۖ إِنِّي بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ عَلِيمٌ | O Messengers! Eat of the good things and act righteously. Indeed I know best what you do. | Al-Muminoon : 51

وَإِنَّ هَٰذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَأَنَا رَبُّكُمْ فَاتَّقُونِ | Indeed this course of yours is one course, and I am your Lord, so be wary of Me. | Al-Muminoon : 52

فَتَقَطَّعُوا أَمْرَهُمْ بَيْنَهُمْ زُبُرًا ۖ كُلُّ حِزْبٍ بِمَا لَدَيْهِمْ فَرِحُونَ | But they fragmented their authority among themselves, each party boasting about what it had. | Al-Muminoon : 53

This shows necessity in seeing the successors as one course and not taking their authority for ourselves thereby dividing.

(89)

وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا مُوسَى الْكِتَابَ وَجَعَلْنَا مَعَهُ أَخَاهُ هَارُونَ وَزِيرًا | Certainly We gave Moses the Book and We made Aaron, his brother, accompany him as a minister. | Al-Furqaan : 35

Importance of having a first successor with the founder.

(90)

وَيَضِيقُ صَدْرِي وَلَا يَنْطَلِقُ لِسَانِي فَأَرْسِلْ إِلَىٰ هَارُونَ | and my breast straighten and my tongue does not reach. So send for Aaron [to join me]. | Ash-Shu'araa : 13

This is another paraphrasing of the prayer of Musa (a) emphasizing on wisdom of having a successor.

(91)

وَلَقَدْ آتَيْنَا دَاوُودَ وَسُلَيْمَانَ عِلْمًا ۖ وَقَالَا الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي فَضَّلَنَا عَلَىٰ كَثِيرٍ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ | Certainly, We gave knowledge to David and Solomon, and they said, ‘All praise belongs to Allah, who granted us an advantage over many of His faithful servants.’ | An-Naml : 15

وَوَرِثَ سُلَيْمَانُ دَاوُودَ ۖ وَقَالَ يَا أَيُّهَا النَّاسُ عُلِّمْنَا مَنْطِقَ الطَّيْرِ وَأُوتِينَا مِنْ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ ۖ إِنَّ هَٰذَا لَهُوَ الْفَضْلُ الْمُبِينُ | Solomon inherited from David, and he said, ‘O people! We have been taught the speech of the birds, and we have been given out of everything. Indeed this is a manifest advantage.’ | An-Naml : 16

Sulaiman (a) was successor of Dawood (a) and showing wisdom to succession again.

(92)

وَأَخِي هَارُونُ هُوَ أَفْصَحُ مِنِّي لِسَانًا فَأَرْسِلْهُ مَعِيَ رِدْءًا يُصَدِّقُنِي ۖ إِنِّي أَخَافُ أَنْ يُكَذِّبُونِ | Aaron, my brother—he is more eloquent than me in speech. So send him with me as a helper to confirm me, for I fear that they will impugn me.’ | Al-Qasas : 34

This again paraphrasing the same prayer emphasizing on wisdom of succession.

(93)

فَآمَنَ لَهُ لُوطٌ ۘ وَقَالَ إِنِّي مُهَاجِرٌ إِلَىٰ رَبِّي ۖ إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْعَزِيزُ الْحَكِيمُ | Thereupon Lot believed in him, and he said, ‘Indeed I am migrating toward my Lord. Indeed He is the All-mighty, the All-wise.’ | Al-Ankaboot : 26

Lut (a), his nephew, was a supporter of Ibrahim (a) and succeeded him.

(94)

وَوَهَبْنَا لَهُ إِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ وَجَعَلْنَا فِي ذُرِّيَّتِهِ النُّبُوَّةَ وَالْكِتَابَ وَآتَيْنَاهُ أَجْرَهُ فِي الدُّنْيَا ۖ وَإِنَّهُ فِي الْآخِرَةِ لَمِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ | And We gave him Isaac and Jacob, and We ordained among his descendants prophethood and the Book, and We gave him his reward in this world, and in the Hereafter he will indeed be among the Righteous. | Al-Ankaboot : 27

Again, succession in offspring emphasized.

(95)

وَلُوطًا إِذْ قَالَ لِقَوْمِهِ إِنَّكُمْ لَتَأْتُونَ الْفَاحِشَةَ مَا سَبَقَكُمْ بِهَا مِنْ أَحَدٍ مِنَ الْعَالَمِينَ | And Lot, when he said to his people, ‘You indeed commit an indecency none in the world has ever committed before you! | Al-Ankaboot : 28

This means Isaac (a) and Yaqoub (a) were also given to Lut (a) as successors much like the 9 Imams (a) from Al-Hussain (a) succeed Al-Hasan (a).

(96)

وَجَعَلْنَا مِنْهُمْ أَئِمَّةً يَهْدُونَ بِأَمْرِنَا لَمَّا صَبَرُوا ۖ وَكَانُوا بِآيَاتِنَا يُوقِنُونَ | When they had been patient and had conviction in Our signs, We appointed amongst them imams to guide [the people] by Our command. | As-Sajda : 24

This reminds that Imams (a) succeeded Musa (a) leadership.

(97)

يَعْمَلُونَ لَهُ مَا يَشَاءُ مِنْ مَحَارِيبَ وَتَمَاثِيلَ وَجِفَانٍ كَالْجَوَابِ وَقُدُورٍ رَاسِيَاتٍ ۚ اعْمَلُوا آلَ دَاوُودَ شُكْرًا ۚ وَقَلِيلٌ مِنْ عِبَادِيَ الشَّكُورُ | They built for him as many temples as he wished, and figures, basins like cisterns, and caldrons fixed [in the ground]. ‘O House of David, act thankfully, and few of My servants are grateful.’ | Saba : 13

The term Auli-Dawood reminds that the Messengers in bani-Israel came as a group.

(98)

وَجَعَلْنَا ذُرِّيَّتَهُ هُمُ الْبَاقِينَ | and made his descendants the remainders| As-Saaffaat : 77

We see in Quran, God's face remains, and the true offspring of Nuh (a) are those who are that.

(99)

فَبَشَّرْنَاهُ بِغُلَامٍ حَلِيمٍ | So We gave him the good news of a forbearing son. | As-Saaffaat : 101

A successor reminder again.

(100)

وَبَشَّرْنَاهُ بِإِسْحَاقَ نَبِيًّا مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ | And We gave him the good news of [the birth of] Isaac, a prophet, one of the righteous. | As-Saaffaat : 112

وَبَارَكْنَا عَلَيْهِ وَعَلَىٰ إِسْحَاقَ ۚ وَمِنْ ذُرِّيَّتِهِمَا مُحْسِنٌ وَظَالِمٌ لِنَفْسِهِ مُبِينٌ | And We blessed him and Isaac. Among their descendants [some] are virtuous, and [some] who manifestly wrong themselves. | As-Saaffaat : 113

Again, wisdom in chosen offspring.

(101)

وَلَقَدْ مَنَنَّا عَلَىٰ مُوسَىٰ وَهَارُونَ | And certainly We favoured Moses and Aaron, | As-Saaffaat : 114

Succession again

(102)

وَإِنَّ إِلْيَاسَ لَمِنَ الْمُرْسَلِينَ | Indeed Ilyas was one of the sent | As-Saaffaat : 123

Elyas (a) was successor of Haroun (a) and Musa (a).

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
(103)

وَإِنَّ لُوطًا لَمِنَ الْمُرْسَلِينَ | Indeed Lot was one of the sent. | As-Saaffaat : 133

Lut (a) successor of Ibrahim (a).

(104)

وَوَهَبْنَا لِدَاوُودَ سُلَيْمَانَ ۚ نِعْمَ الْعَبْدُ ۖ إِنَّهُ أَوَّابٌ | And to David We gave Solomon—what an excellent servant he was! Indeed, he was a penitent [soul]. | Saad : 30

Sulaiman (a) succession.

(105)

وَاذْكُرْ عِبَادَنَا إِبْرَاهِيمَ وَإِسْحَاقَ وَيَعْقُوبَ أُولِي الْأَيْدِي وَالْأَبْصَارِ | And remember Our servants, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, men of strength and insight. | Saad : 45

Succession again in offspring.

(106)

وَاذْكُرْ إِسْمَاعِيلَ وَالْيَسَعَ وَذَا الْكِفْلِ ۖ وَكُلٌّ مِنَ الْأَخْيَارِ | And remember Ishmael, Elisha and Dhu’l-Kifl—each [of whom was] among the elect. | Saad : 48

Ismail (a) successor of Ibrahim (a) and Dul-kifl succeeds Elyasa (a).

(107)

وَلَقَدْ جَاءَكُمْ يُوسُفُ مِنْ قَبْلُ بِالْبَيِّنَاتِ فَمَا زِلْتُمْ فِي شَكٍّ مِمَّا جَاءَكُمْ بِهِ ۖ حَتَّىٰ إِذَا هَلَكَ قُلْتُمْ لَنْ يَبْعَثَ اللَّهُ مِنْ بَعْدِهِ رَسُولًا ۚ كَذَٰلِكَ يُضِلُّ اللَّهُ مَنْ هُوَ مُسْرِفٌ مُرْتَابٌ | Certainly Joseph brought you manifest proofs earlier, but you continued to remain in doubt concerning what he had brought you. When he died, you said, ‘‘Allah will never send any apostle after him.’’ That is how Allah leads astray those who are unrestrained and skeptical. | Al-Ghaafir : 34

They went astray by emphasizing on Yusuf (a) while neglecting his successor.

(108)

فَأَوْجَسَ مِنْهُمْ خِيفَةً ۖ قَالُوا لَا تَخَفْ ۖ وَبَشَّرُوهُ بِغُلَامٍ عَلِيمٍ | Then he felt a fear of them. They said, ‘Do not be afraid!’ and they gave him the good news of a wise son. | Adh-Dhaariyat : 28

(109)

وَلَقَدْ أَرْسَلْنَا نُوحًا وَإِبْرَاهِيمَ وَجَعَلْنَا فِي ذُرِّيَّتِهِمَا النُّبُوَّةَ وَالْكِتَابَ ۖ فَمِنْهُمْ مُهْتَدٍ ۖ وَكَثِيرٌ مِنْهُمْ فَاسِقُونَ | Certainly We sent Noah and Abraham and We ordained among their descendants prophethood and the Book. Some of them are [rightly] guided, and many of them are transgressors. | Al-Hadid : 26

Again, importance of chosen in the offspring.

(110)

ثُمَّ قَفَّيْنَا عَلَىٰ آثَارِهِمْ بِرُسُلِنَا وَقَفَّيْنَا بِعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ وَآتَيْنَاهُ الْإِنْجِيلَ وَجَعَلْنَا فِي قُلُوبِ الَّذِينَ اتَّبَعُوهُ رَأْفَةً وَرَحْمَةً وَرَهْبَانِيَّةً ابْتَدَعُوهَا مَا كَتَبْنَاهَا عَلَيْهِمْ إِلَّا ابْتِغَاءَ رِضْوَانِ اللَّهِ فَمَا رَعَوْهَا حَقَّ رِعَايَتِهَا ۖ فَآتَيْنَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا مِنْهُمْ أَجْرَهُمْ ۖ وَكَثِيرٌ مِنْهُمْ فَاسِقُونَ | Then We followed them up with Our apostles and We followed [them] with Jesus son of Mary, and We gave him the Evangel, and We put kindness and mercy into the hearts of those who followed him. But as for monasticism, they innovated it—We had not prescribed it for them—only seeking Allah’s pleasure. Yet they did not observe it with due observance. So We gave to the faithful among them their [due] reward, but many of them are transgressors. | Al-Hadid : 27

The following up is important.