• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A book i'm writing....

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Okay, so i've written a few "chapters" of a science fiction book. Just finished in
fact, and i'm curious to see what people think of it. I'm gonna copy it down here, and hoping you guys can give me some notes on what you think of it. what you like, what you don't like, and what you think i could improve. k, here goes.

He walked down the road quickly. To a casual observer, he would appear to have a destination. Of course, the likelihood
of a casual observer was very small, as it was right around 3 am in the morning. The truth, was that he had no destination,
no plan. He was walking because he was trying to calm himself down. He was gripped in an irrational fear, that he was going
to die. Not because anyone was after him, or because he was sick. Nothing like that. It was because he was having an
anxiety attack.

He had tried to fight it off in his apartment, but it had felt stuffy, suffocating. He couldn't breathe in there. He had
to get out in the brisk night air, made more brisk by the fact that it was midwinter. Did the cold help him? Not really,
but he felt like it did. It gave him a distraction from the fear, the fear that was overriding his logic. No, that's not
true. His logic was still there, but he couldn't focus on it. He knew, with very little doubt, that he wasn't dying.

Unfortunately, that doesn't matter much when you are having a strong anxiety attack. As he walked, trying to think other
thoughts, distract himself from the fear, he began to look back on his life. What he had made of it, or more accurately,
what he hadn't made of it. He dropped out of high school shortly after he hit 16. He'd found a factory job, and decided
he didn't need school anymore. He'd never liked school much. Not the homework part, that had always come fairly easy to him,
but the whole dealing with people he didn't like on a regular basis part, that was why he quit.

Ironicly, a few short months after he had quit school, he lost his job at the factory. He'd twisted his ankle, and couldn't
do the job. He ended up quitting, though when he looked back on it, he realized he hadn't needed to quit. It was a foolish
thing to do. After that, he went from job to job, sometimes with long breaks between them. Up until he was 18, and after
that, he never went long at all without a job. He understood he needed to make his own way, couldn't sponge off of other
people. He had his pride.

He glanced down at himself, and didn't have much to be proud of there either. He was short, 5'9" tops, and a bit past being
chunky. He had brown hair, brown eyes. Not particularly attractive in anyway at all, really, especially when you take into
account the fact that he always appears to be perpetually squinting. When he considered his
personality, he understood he had plenty of areas of improvement. He came across as being arrogant, because he often made
jokes about how awesome he was or how smart he was. His friends didn't much like playing games with him, because he was
a terrible loser. He was plenty shades of lazy. He did have some upsides though.

He was a relatively cheerful person. Easy to get along with. He had little trouble making friends, if he extended the effort
to do so. Of course, when he looked at it, part of the reason he was so easy to get along with was just yet another one of
his many flaws. He had a fear that was akin to a phobia, that dealt with confrontation. He often felt like a coward, because
it was easier for him to walk away, than to confront someone who had upset him.

As he was walking, thinking of his many problems, he realized that he had begun to calm down. He'd been so absorbed in his
own self loathing, he hadn't noticed the fear slowly ebb away. He glanced around himself and noticed he was a good mile and
half away from his apartment in the podunk town he lived in, and turned around.

Had he been paying better attention, he might have noticed a small flash of green light off in a field to his right. It
wouldn't have made a difference, other than he might have been a little less surprised when two men stepped into his path,
several feet ahead of him. He walked a few steps closer to them before he realized they were there, and stopped moving
for a moment. He quickly realized that it was merely a coincidence they were there, and he tried to walk around them.
As they stepped in his way again, he really took a look at these two men. The one on the left, was a smaller guy, probably
a few inches shorter than himself. The guy on the right was significantly bigger, something like 6'4" or 6'5", and clearly
packed with muscle.

He couldn't make out much detail, as they weren't anywhere near a street light, and the men had put themselves into deep
shadow. He looked at them, said"excuse me." and tried again to step around them. Again, they shuffled a little, not
allowing him to pass. "Can i help you guys?" he asked quietly. A deep voice said "What's your name, boy?" He was a little
taken aback, cause at the age of 24, he didn't view himself as a boy. He glanced to the right, correctly assuming the
larger man would be the owner of that deep rumble of a voice and said" My name is Jimmy. Can i help you?"

"Yes, yes you can." came another voice. This voice wasn't particularly remarkable, and Jimmy assumed that it came from the
man on the left. "How's that?" jimmy nervously asked. The two men began to casually stroll towards Jimmy, and he began
to panic a little, and started stepping backwards. Alas, it wasn't enough, because the moment he started moving,
they rushed towards him with surprising speed. The larger man grabbed his shoulder, pulled one of his massive fists back,
and clocked Jimmy right in the temple. He saw a white flash, and blacked out.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Chapter 2

"That pansy ever gonna wake up, you think?" was the first thing he heard as he slowly came back to consciousness. He wasn't
sure which one had said it, but didn't much care, as he was in a room with plenty of bright light, and he had a significant
headache. He moaned a little, which got their attention, as they came strolling over into his field of view. His head hurt
like he'd been hit by a sledgehammer, but he forced his eyes open, to get a look at his assaulters. They were both wearing
what would be called jumpsuits, though they seemed a bit futuristic, made out of a material he knew he'd have difficulty
describing. The jumpsuits were both black, and they had some kind of an emblem on the left side of their chests. It was
a circle, with an arm, fist balled, crossed by a leg, kicking upwards.

The smaller man wasn't much too look at. He had plain features, the only thing that was really noticeable was that his hair
was a neon gold. The larger man was a bit more to take in. His body was clearly sculpted with massive amounts of muscle,
just shy of reaching the extent of a hardcore weight lifter. He looked like he could pick up a buick and benchpress it 20
times before he got bored and went and tried his luck on a house. The other thing immediately noticeable about him was his
eyes changed colors constantly. One eye would be purple, the other would be green, then one would shift into yellow,
one would become red, and so on. Every once in awhile, they would match up for about two second, then go their merry way.

While jimmy was distracted by the big guys eyes, the smaller guy said" Welcome to the prep room for the incredibly popular
tv show, Prison Planet!". "What?" jimmy said, looking back over at the smaller guy. "Heh, these hicks always love staring
at my eyes," laughed the big guy. "I said, Welcome to the prep room for the very, very, insanely so, really, popular tv
show, Prison Planet!" the little guy said, looking over at his co-worker with annoyance.

"What are you talking about?"
"Who are you guys?"
"What am i doing here?" jimmy asked in quick succession, looking confusedly at the two men. "One question at a time, boy."
the big guy rumbled. The smaller guy glared at the big guy again, before saying "i understand how you must feel, so we'll
do our best to answer your questions. We are employees of a very large corporation, with various interests, called Degonation.
My name is Stelt, and the simpleton over here is Xandert. You are here, because we are "recruiters" for the massively
popular show Prison Planet."

Jimmy just looked at Stelt, not really sure what was going on. "He doesn't get it. They never get it." Xandert snickered.
"Shut up!" Stelt snapped at Xandert. "Why must you always mock them?" Xandert just grinned and wandered off a little ways.
"I'm really quite sorry, i need him to get our contestants, but he has no subtlety at all." Stelt sighed. "Whatever," Jimmy
said, as he pulled himself into a sitting position, wincing at the pain it caused, and actually looked around the room
for the first time. The room he was in wasn't huge, about the size of two or three doctor's offices put together. He
glanced down, and saw he was on a table, similar to a doctors office.

"AW, you are in the infirmary, in case you were wondering," Stelt told Jimmy, as he noticed Jimmy's gaze take in the
surrounding area. The room was white, and sterile, and had some medical equipment in the corner, and some next to the table
he was on. At least, Jimmy assumed it was medical equipment, cause it didn't look anything like any medical equipment he'd
ever seen. He didn't see any reason why Stelt would lie about something like that though, so he just went with it. "What's
going on?" Jimmy asked again. "Why am i here?"

"Now, those are good questions, much more germane to your situation." Stelt confessed. "You are here, because we use
technology to search the multiverse for people with potential to be in our show, Prison Planet."

"You keep saying that name, Prison Planet." Jimmy looked over at Stelt.

"of course i do, that's why you're here!" Stelt cried.

Suddenly, it dawned on Jimmy the other thing Stelt had just said. "Multiverse? What the heck does that mean?"

"Well, it's quite simple actually. There are essentially an infinte number of universes, for all intent and purposes anyway.
Kind of hard to actually prove, but seeing as i've personally been in over a thousand universes in my short tenure as a
recruiter, and seen information for thousands more, i'm inclined to believe it."

"Aww, you got him started," Xandert spoke suddenly, from the corner of the room.

"Damn it, Xandert! You know we have to fill them in!" Stelt practically shouted.

"Yeah, but we ain't gotta tell him all this technical bullcrap," Xandert said, standing from the chair he'd been sitting in.
"He just needs to know the rules, and what we're gonna do to him," Xandert stated.

"You know what? Get out! I'll fill him in, in my own way! The only reason you hate talking about the technical stuff is
because you don't understand it!" Stelt shouted.

"Whatever, this is the boring part anyway. I'm gonna go watch some Prison Planet exclusives. I heard Vance is getting close
to the 70 credit mark. The playboys are gonna start messing with him hardcore" he chuckled, as he walked to the door.

"Yeah, well, i don't much like Vance, and good riddance to you" Stelt shouted again. Jimmy looked at him, wondering why he
was so distraught, and missed Xandert flipping Stelt off as he waked out the door.

"Same to you, Xandert" Stelt yelled uselessly, as the door had already closed, his face a splotchy red. He looked over at
jimmy, noticed the curious look, and realized the state he was in. Stelt closed his eyes for a moment, and calmed himself
down. "Where were we," he asked quietly.

"Multiverses, and whether or not there are an infinite amount of universes, I guess. Sounds like science fiction bs to me,
though."

"To you, it would be, though to us, this is all old news." Stelt laughed. "Anyway, the multiverse is just a name for the
fact that we know there is more than one universe in existence. We figured that out a few hundred years ago, when a
scientist, i can't remember his name, stumbled upon a sensor that allowed us to "see" outside of our universe. From there,
we began to develop technology that would allow us "see" better, and from there we developed ways to travel between
universes."

Stelt scratched his head and said "Of course, it's only been in the last 20 to 30 years that we were able to come up with
the technology that allows us to travel between universes, without requiring a sun's worth of energy."

Jimmy stared at Stelt for a moment, and started to laugh, a tad hysterically. "You are so full of crap. I don't know what's
going on, but you guys attacked and then kidnapped me, and you expect me to believe what you say? This equipment looks
futuristic, but i doubt it does anything. I don't know why you are trying to trick me, but i want to go home!"

Stelt nodded wisely. "Yeah, plenty of you guys don't believe us. I can prove it though." He began fumbling through his
pockets and came out with what appeared to be a futuristic remote.

"How's that?" jimmy asked.

"Well, you haven't noticed it, cause it's designed to be completely comfortable, to the point you can't even feel it, but
you have a shackle, we call it, on your left arm."

"What!?" Jimmy cried, quickly lifting his left arm up to eye view, and noticing a slim grey band around his wrist.

"Yeah, first thing we do when we get here is put that on you. It's actually state of the art technology, designed for
multiple purposes, and absolutely crucial to the show Prison Planet."

Jimmy tried to get his fingers underneath the band, but simply couldn't. It was basically like an extra layer of skin, he
didn't even budge it."What the heck! Get this off of me!"

"Not gonna happen. I just said it was crucial to the show, and really, it's crucial to keep you from doing anything foolish,
as well."

"What do you mean?" Jimmy cried.

"Well, say you were to decide to get violent with me. All i'd have to do is hit a button, and the shackle would drop you to
the floor."

"It would shock me?"

"Nah, that's crazy old tech, and dangerous to boot. We don't want to actually harm you. What it does is it has access to
your nervous system, and it just pinches the right spots. Causes intense pain, though it doesn't actually harm you. Plus,
it has the upside that you can't just ignore it. Some really tough dudes could ignore a really good shocking. Can't ignore
your own body twisting your world in half, heh heh." Stelt was looking at the remote while he said this, and looked up to
see jimmy inching towards him. "Don't believe me? Well i'd rather not hurt you, so i'll give you a demonstation of what
else it can do, before you come at me and make me do it." he says nervously.

"It could put you to sleep, but that wouldn't serve my purpose. hmmm.... how about i have it talk to you? Yeah, that's gonna
be something you'll dealing with on a regular basis once you are on Prison Planet." He pushed a few buttons and looked up.
"I just told it to tell you what time it is."

Jimmy was looking at Stelt with obvious disbelief, when he heard a voice, clear as day, in his ears. Not exactly in it, more
like, below it. It said in a bland tone "it is 26:87 dl".

"Yeah, it's basically sending vibrations to your eardrums, in such a way that you interpret it as a bland voice, right?"

"Yeah," jimmy said wonderingly. Jimmy was beginning to think maybe this was real, this was really happening. He'd always
kind of hoped for something like this, but not really like this. "Wait, am i in another universe, is that what you were
getting at earlier" Jimmy suddenly asks Stelt.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
"Yup. You are in my home universe, the home of the most popular show Prison Planet, owned by Gedonation!"

"What are you, a walking billboard for them" jimmy states wryly.

"Hey, don't you start with me too! I get enough of that from the neanderthal Xandert. I just love my job. Is that okay with
you?" Stelt cried.

"Whatever. Let's say i believe you. Why am i here? WHAT is going on?"

"It was said earlier, but i have no problem reminding you. You are here, because we have a machine that combs through the
universes, looking for people with potential."

"What do you mean, potential," Jimmy interrupts.

"Mostly physical, and a bit of mental as well. We are looking for people who have a high capability of becoming really
smart and strong."

"Okay, and you are saying i have that potential?" jimmy interrupts again.

"Yeah, and quite a bit of it actually, according to our scanners." Stelt says excitedly.

"So, what? You gonna train me or something, and put me in this Prison Planet thing?"

"Train you? No, we don't train contestants. Another thing the shackle can do, is release nenobots into your bloodstream, and
they will begin to bring out your potential. Of course, we need our contestants healthy, so they also cure any sicknesses,
diseases or even allergies you have, be they in your feet, stomach, or brain! The nenobots won't take you to your full
potential, but they'll bring you awfully close. You will become much stronger, faster, tougher, and from the readings i
got, quite a bit smarter as well."

Jimmy starts to feel faint, wondering at what he's been told. "Why?"

"Why?" Stelt repeats. "Cause you are gonna be a part of our show Prison Planet, of course! Best show to come on air since
2897! That was 8 years ago, if you didn't know! Our ratings have only been getting higher and higher, especially as we
offer more and more services and such."

"What kind of show is this? Jimmy mumbles, still trying to understand.

"Well, it's a show where we go to other universes, find people with a high potential, unleash it, and then toss them onto
an entire planet, where they are expected to fight for our entertainment."

"Wait a minute, i'm not a violent guy. I don't think this is right for me," Jimmy mumbles again, as he start backing towards
the doors.

"Don't bother, Jimmy. The door is automatic, and will only open if you have clearance, via dna check. Anyway, it doesn't
matter if you are violent, cause if you hadn't figured it out, that shackle pretty much controls you. I could, with a little
bit of creativity, literally control you like a puppet. It is hardwired directly into you. Of course, we don't do that,
what we do, is we've created an incentive program, as part of the show. The shackle will keep track of fights for you. Any
time you get into a fight, you will get a half credit, minimum. You win the fight, you will get at least one credit, and
every once in awhile the playboys will give you an extra credit, if the fight was entertaining enough."

"Credits... wha? Man, i'm serious. I can't do this. I'm very nonviolent." Jimmy says in a bit of a panic, as he bumps into
the door, and it doesn't budge.

"Well, you'll have to get violent, cause if you don't fight back, you won't even get the half a credit. We don't care if you
get stomped, but you do have to fight back. People don't just wanna watch people beating a guy who won't fight back. They
want some action. You see, you need those credits to survive, Jimmy. We have areas on the planet that have food, clothing,
and such, and verything costs credits. You won't live long at all, if you don't fight back."

"Why me?" Jimmy mumbles, looking wildly around the room.

"I told you, you had a lot of potential. And no, before you ask, we can't take you back, the trip, while manageable compared
to what it used to cost, is still extremely expensive. You aren't going home. Well, not without winning, anyway."

"Winning? How do i win?" Jimmy suddenly leans forward.

"You have to get a hundred credits. The moment your shackle says you have a grand total of 1 hundred credits, you win, and
are taken off the planet. Course, i'll be straight with you, it ain't easy. For one, you have to use your credits for food,
right? You'll be using them up dang near as quick as you earn them, unless you start looking for fights. There are actually
a whole lot of technical rules, but i'll let your shackle tell you those once you are down there. You'll need to spend
credits for blankets, clothing, etc. and so forth. There have only been 2 winners. Of course, winning doesn't only get you
off the planet. You also recieve 2 percent of however much money degonation has made off of you."

"How would they make money off of me?" Jimmy asks, suddenly curious.

"Lots of ways. IF you become at all popular, there would be t-shirts, toys, cups, posters, etc. etc. Also, they have pay -
per view stuff, where people can watch just you, if they take an interest, instead of watching what we put on the air. There
are actually plenty of ways for them to make money off of you. And they have computers that automatically track how much
profit they are making off of you. Of the two winners, the smallest amount they recieved was about 500 million credits."

"Is that a lot?"

"Yeah, it's a lot. I make 53,000 credits a year, and i make decent money! I have several vehicle payments, i own a house,
and i pay for my parents retirement home, and still have enough money to buy whatever i feel like!" Stelt proudly proclaimed.
"Anyway, i've gone a good 20 minutes past my time limit explaining this to you, so i'm just gonna get you started." Stelt
pushed a few buttons on the remote. "You're gonna feel weird in a moment, i've released the nenobots. It's gonna make you
weak, so you might wanna sit down on one of the tables."

"No, i don't want to do this!" Jimmy cried, and started to rush towards Stelt. As he got within a few feet, he suddenly felt
dizzy, and tripped and fell right onto a table. Stelt ran over and pushed Jimmy's legs up onto the table.

"It's gonna take awhile, but don't worry, you will be unconscious for most of it!" Stelt said, excitedly.

"No..." Jimmy said weakly, trying to sit back up. He couldn't do it however, and fell back onto the table, "stop thi...."
he slurred, as everything began to go dark. The last thing he heard was Stelt, saying "You are gonna wake up on the
planet, good lu....."

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Chapter 3

Jimmy stirred, as he felt something moving on top of him. He opened his eyes, and saw a massive rat on his chest!
"AAAHHH!!!" he yelped, and swatted the rat away with a quick movement. The rat rolled a few times, and then stopped against
a wall, blood leaking from it's mouth. "Huh?" jimmy grunted. He stood up, and flexed, and realized he felt good. Actually,
not good, he felt amazing. Like he could take on the world. He looked at himself, and was amazed at the transformation.
He didn't have an ounce of fat on him, and he had a six pack! His arms and legs weren't any bigger than they used to be,
but now they were muscle, instead of fat. He was simply wearing a pear of shorts, that barely covered his crotch.

After a few minutes marveling at his new awesome appearance, and how energetic he felt, he started to look around, remembering
why he was here. He was in the middle of what appeared to be a dump. There were towers of junk, metal, plastic, and other
materials he wasn't sure what they were. He was in a dark area, and he noticed glints, reflections, and realized they were
other rats, looking at him from areas further back from him. He got the feeling if not for the rat he'd accidentally killed,
these rats would already be trying to make a meal of him. As it was, they were weary, but they looked hungry, and he didn't
think they'd hold back for long.

'wait a moment' he thought. 'i'm figuring stuff out, with no real experience to guide me. it's like i'm just taking everything
into account, and then i know' He had gotten smarter, he realized, and then he started, realizing he was wasting time, and
chose a direction. He chose it, because it was the only real path that he could follow. Seemed like a no brainer. And started
walking. He figured he'd could handle the rats a few at a time, but if they got brave and swarmed him, he was done for. Suddenly,
something occured to him, and he ran back before he'd gotten far, and grabbed the dead rat. It could be used as a deterrent,
and if they got hungry and charged him anyway, he figured these rats would be hungry enough if he threw the dead rat, enough
of them would go for it to hopefully give him a chance to escape.

It turned out that plan wasn't necessary, as the rats never got that brave. As he walked to a large rusted gate, he tossed
the rat a few feet over, and stepped out of the dump. Into a street not much better. The smell hit him first, it was rank.
It was full of random filth and detritis. Most of the street lights simply didn't work, and the few that did, gave off weak
light, and often blinked in and out at random times. As he took a moment to allow his eyes to get used to the unreliable
light, he realized yet another thing. His hearing, which had always been a bit dodgy, was excellent. He could hear the rats
scuttling around in the dump behind him. His sight was fantastic. He could see much further than he could before, despite
the lighting. Of course, his smell seemed to have improved as well, though he wasn't particularly enjoying that, since it
seemed he could now differentiate different smells, and he wasn't smelling anything good.

It was while he was busy wondering at his improved senses, that he heard a scuffling, unlike the rats. It sounded, he couldn't
quite place it, purposeful? While he was marveling at his senses, he'd walked a few blocks down, and he looked over towards
the sound, and saw a woman, about 5'2", slowly moving towards him. When she realized he had spotted her, she muttered "****"
and started to sprint towards him. Taken by surprise, jimmy was slow to react, though he was paying attention to her
features. She had shaved hair, making it hard to determine the color, though he figured it might also be because she was
filthy. She had a pair of panties on, and what appeared to be a muscle shirt. They were both dark colored, and he figured
that was more filth. She was slimly built, though he could see the wiry muscles on her frame as she hurtled towards him.

Her mouth was set in a grim line, and her eyes had a determined look to them as she suddenly jumped in the air. If he'd been
slow to react before, he was even more surprised now, and was able to do nothing more than flinch back and look up as she came
flying down right on him, both hands balled together into a fist, and struck him right in the forehead. He flew back a foot or
two and dropped to the ground. He felt a bit dull, and looked up, only to see a foot, flying towards his jaw. At this point, his
newfound speed finally kicked in, and he dropped out of the way, the blow glancing off, doing little damage. He rolled over to
get up, and she jumped on his back, putting him in a headlock.

"Go to sleep!" she cried, in a surprisingly feminine voice. He stood up, easily taking her weight, and his mind raced with options,
as his hands automatically clutched at her arms, trying to pull them off of his throat. It wasn't happening, she had a death lock
on him. So, he went with the most obvious option, and ran backwards into a wall, feeling the impact, though he was protected from
most of it by her body. Her head smacked into the side of the building, and made a loud THWACK! noise, and jimmy figured, game
over. That wasn't the case though, as it seemed she only squeezed tighter. At this point, he was running out of oxygen, and
starting to panic. He tried to speak to her, but couldn't, due to the pressure on his throat.

He slammed her into the wall several more times, but he couldn't seem to scrape her off, though every time he did it, her grip
would slacken for just a moment, before she tightened right back up. It was then, as his oxygen was running very low, and he was
beginning to feel very faint, he figured out how he might be able to get her off of him. He then slammed into the wall yet again,
this time as hard as he could, and when he felt the weakening, he pulled as hard as he could, and managed shake her loose. She fell
to the ground behind him with a loud thump, and was clearly dazed. This woman had just attacked him for no reason, but he still
felt bad, and he began to move towards her, when her eyes suddenly cleared, and she looked up at him, and scrambled back away from
him. She jumped right up, and put her hands up in fists in front of her, and growled" it won't be that easy, scum!"

"Scum? You're the one that ambushed me!"

"That's a perfectly valid technique," she growled. "You must be new, sitting here, acting all surprised. Well, i love taking on
beatmeat, they got their strength, but no experience. Easy pickings."

"Doesn't seem like i was easy pickings," jimmy weezed.

"You aren't a complete pushover, that's true. Tell ya what, i'll give you a courtesy most of us barbarians don't give to beatmeat.
My name is Maylana. And I'm gonna woop you and get my credit."

"Oh, yeah. Credits, i remember him saying fights were how we got credits to get food and stuff."

"That's right, beatmeat. Get ready for it." she growled again.

"Wait!" Jimmy cried! "Why do we have to follow this rule?"

"Well, they won't do nothing to you if you dont' fight, if that's what you're thinking." Maylana stated. "They will let you
starve to death though. I've seen it plenty of times. There's a rule, you lose more than 5 times in a row, you won't even get
half a credit for getting in a fight. If you can't win a fight, you'll die a slow, crappy death. That ain't happenin' to me. I'm
a survivor. Now shut up, and get ready" She moved quickly towards him, with a quick jab towards his face. He stepped quickly back,
barely dodging it, and quickly got his hands up.

"I don't want to fight you" jimmy said as he continued to do his best to block and dodge her blows. He was only being half succesful,
and was starting to take a beating.

"Yeah, well that just makes it easier for me," Maylana crowed.

"F' it." jimmy whispered, and changed the dynamic of the fight, as he suddenly stepped forward and drove an uppercut into her
chest. Her body was pushed into the air a few inches, before she dropped back to the ground, gasping with pain. She redoubled
her efforts, scoring some good hits, but jimmy was fighting back now, and he could quickly tell that while she was quite quick,
and difficult to hit, she didn't have a whole lot of power, and wasn't dealing much damage. He knew it helped that he'd slammed
her into the wall so many times, so hard, because it had clearly taken a lot out of her.

As she tried to crowd in on him, attempting to take away his reach advantage, he suddenly just barged foward into her, taking her
by surprise. As she fell back he snapped a quick jab towards her stomach, and as she went to block it, she didn't notice the
wide swing going straight for her temple at the same time as the jab. She deflected his jab just in time to feel his fist crashing
into her skull. Her eyes went wide, and then went blank, as she dropped to the ground.

Jimmy stepped back, breathing heavily, upset with himself for fighting with her, when he heard a bland voice in his ear say" you
have won 2 credits. Winning your first fight doesn't happen often. Good job." He looked around wildly for a moment, expecting
another attacker, before he realized what had been said, and how. 'weird' he thought. 'guess i'll have to get used to it'. He then
grabbed maylana and threw her over his shoulders, and started to walk towards where he could see some light......

To be continued....

And that's it. Let me know what you think so far. What needs improving, what's good, whatever you feel about it. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Oh, i will mention, that i haven't written forever, and you may notice some structural errors,
especially near the beginning. Mostly around how to deal with speaking. I believe i got it
straightened out as i went further, but don't be surprised about it being a little off at the
top. Hopefully it doesn't ruin it too much, lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is just a proofreading comment. Beginning writers tend to overuse the comma. It's because as you're writing, you pause to think, and then throw in a comma. You have succumbed to this. Try reading it again, omitting each comma, and you'll see what I mean.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They don't ruin it ... well for some people it might. It just disrupts the flow a bit. If you have incredibly engaging content, smaller things like punctuation won't matter at all. This is why editors will read things backwards one sentence at a time. This was just one small thing I noticed. It's not my genre as a writer, so I have difficulty sticking at it to read it.

But I wish all writers well. There is something very therapeutic and rewarding about putting ideas on paper. Even just here on RF, by making comments etc., it probably helps one clarify his own thought processes. But don't expect to get published. If that's your intent, i would highly recommend having a good look at that as an intention. But if you just write mainly for yourself, then all is fine, and you can't 'lose'.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I only had time to read a few paragraphs, but I think you would do well to switch to the active voice.

rageoftyrael

Veritas
lol, i would be an idiot if i thought my first story would get published. as you said, i have some issues with punctuation, and i know of a few other issues i have as well, though i did my best to address them. someday, that would be awesome, but i'm certainly not expecting it, lol.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I enjoy stories. Write it for the sake of art and creativity. Editing comes later once its finished. ;O)

rageoftyrael

Veritas
Darn straight. I love to read, and i quite enjoy putting this story down in words. i'm one of those guys who never really grew up, never stopped playing make believe. When i go for walks, i create entire worlds, with rules, drama, everything! Of course, i'm a huge fantasy/sci-fi fan, so they are typically around a character with special powers, lol. I've got tons of stories i could write, and it wouldn't be hard for me to come up with new stuff at any time. I've always had something of an intense imagination, lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Darn straight. I love to read, and i quite enjoy putting this story down in words. i'm one of those guys who never really grew up, never stopped playing make believe. When i go for walks, i create entire worlds, with rules, drama, everything! Of course, i'm a huge fantasy/sci-fi fan, so they are typically around a character with special powers, lol. I've got tons of stories i could write, and it wouldn't be hard for me to come up with new stuff at any time. I've always had something of an intense imagination, lol.

Yeah, I'm, like that too. It's like that little kid thing on the floor with this big adventure going on with all the toys. BTW, I do have a published humour column running in a couple of local weekly newspapers. Some people like it. Others find it dull.