• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
You know, rather than go on about how so much of this is factually wrong, I'm just going to post a link from someone who has already done so.

Quit ignorantly twisting Pagan mythology, please.

I'm most familiar with Greek mythos, and I've studied it enough to know that the claims made about Dionysus in particular are complete bull crap. It would be foolish to deny that Christian mythology was influenced by the Pagan mythology it sprang out of, but there's correct, scholarly comparisons and badly-researched nonsense.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, it seems to me that other cultural mythologies were more influential than Greek as well, notably the ones that were more proximate to where Christianity developed. But I'm no expert on what the Ph.D.'s have to say on the subject, so I happily defer to them on the historical evolution of the Christian religion.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

What is it to debate when there are so much false claims in the link ? The guy who wrote this should get his facts correct before making lists full of mistakes like this ...

Aum Namah Shivaya

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Just posted a threat with a link, but should have posted this one I suppose. I find this quite interesting as a Christian, your thoughts if you are a Christian please.

10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse

Hi........

Since you did not print the list, I thought that I would:-
Krishna
Buddha
Odysseus
Romulus
Dionysus
Heracles
Glycon
Zoroaster/Zarathustra
Attis of Phrygia
Horus

You think that these names are similar to Jesus....... just how, exactly?

outhouse

Atheistically
Its quite common to have these claims from ignoance, placing these different influences as foundations, when they were minor influences at best. Never a foundation of the mythology in place.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Okay, knowing quite a bit about comparative mythology, all I could say was:

10 - NO
9 - NO
8 - NO
7 - NO
6 - NO
5 - NO
4 - okay don't know 'bout him
3 - NO
2 - don't know 'bout him either
1 - Well, duh; they're from the same general region

So, the list is bunk.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
You know, rather than go on about how so much of this is factually wrong, I'm just going to post a link from someone who has already done so.

Quit ignorantly twisting Pagan mythology, please.

I'm most familiar with Greek mythos, and I've studied it enough to know that the claims made about Dionysus in particular are complete bull crap. It would be foolish to deny that Christian mythology was influenced by the Pagan mythology it sprang out of, but there's correct, scholarly comparisons and badly-researched nonsense.
Oh my God, I have never seen the "Jesus' story was stolen from Paganism!" line of argument destroyed so thoroughly. That article makes demolishing an argument into an art form.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Just posted a threat with a link, but should have posted this one I suppose. I find this quite interesting as a Christian, your thoughts if you are a Christian please.

10 Christ-like Figures Who Pre-Date Jesus - Listverse
"Homeric tales about Odysseus emphasize his suffering life". Well, not quite. The theme is called nostos or "return voyage" and it became a theme about a very specific type of suffering: suffing to get back to your home. Not sure where the carpenter part fits in to being the King of Ithaca. Someone could probably do a dissertation on the emergent dynamics behind Jesus-comparisons and the structure of the social network that produces these sources.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Dear God, what a load of old bollocks.

And the comments... oh the comments.

GON GAN GANA GHAN GUN GUNI

KON KIN KEN KON KUN KAN KHAN KHAKAN, KHAQAN

CAN CON CUN

GINA GINA GENE GUINEA CHINA CHI CHAN SHAN SHEN

HAN HON HANI HUN HIN HINA

JHON JAN JUN JUAN JOAN

Make it stop... for the love of linguistics, make it stop. D:

outhouse

Atheistically
Dear God, what a load of old bollocks.

And the comments... oh the comments.

Make it stop... for the love of linguistics, make it stop. D:

You should see the ignorant following Murdock gets, I argue with her to a point she wont respond, and her following, is typically brainwashed into conspiracy minded mentality, far beyond reasoning.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You should see the ignorant following Murdock gets, I argue with her to a point she wont respond, and her following, is typically brainwashed into conspiracy minded mentality, far beyond reasoning.
Don't they know about Google? D:<

outhouse

Atheistically
Don't they know about Google? D:<

They get really ticked at me including the mods there, when I claim they avoid reasoning and knowledge like a young earth creationist.

They have also banned wiki, due to it painting mythicists in a negative light.