• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wow :D

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I don't want to sound wicked...because I am not...
but are we sure that the age or the generation are the issue here?
;)

Nimos

I don't want to sound wicked...because I am not...
but are we sure that the age or the generation are the issue here?
;)
Agree, Im pretty sure the answer is to be found somewhere else. :)

And honestly, you can laugh at it, but I think it is pretty scary to be honest. And I bet they can list more mobile apps or social media platforms than countries in the world :D

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not sure if I should put this here or somewhere more seriously, it is slightly concerning :D

Talk about a lost generation (from 2023)

I found out my son couldn't tell time. He was born in 1984.
He can now but I had to teach him. Before we learned in Kindergarten/1st grade.
At some point the public schools in the area stop teaching how to read an analog clock.
No body learns to use a slide rule either. :shrug:

Yerda

Veteran Member
Why would they need to? There are 24 hour digital clocks in their pockets.

EDIT: Apologies, I thought the video was about clock faces. Then I clicked play.

Nimos

At some point the public schools in the area stop teaching how to read an analog clock.
Then there must be something wrong with the school, analog watches still exist all over the place. The most expensive watches use this. :)

School can easily teach this as part of math, obviously from the video these people can't do even basic math so that probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We study British English at school, in Europe.
I still recall how confusing it was to learn "a quarter to ten" or "ten past ten", or something like that.
As soon as I learned American English with Americans, I was 16, I said: wow...Americans don't complicate things!!! :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Then there must be something wrong with the school, analog watches still exist all over the place. The most expensive watches use this. :)

School can easily teach this as part of math, obviously from the video these people can't do even basic math so that probably wouldn't make a difference anyway. :)

Why think for myself when I can just ask Siri I suppose.

Though I actually hope most folks knew the answers and this is the few who didn't.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I work in a pretty decent UK school - results are above the national average. It's common to find the pupils can't read analogue watches/clocks. This also means that if you say something like "It's twenty to three" you might as well be speaking in Albanian.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I work in a pretty decent UK school - results are above the national average. It's common to find the pupils can't read analogue watches/clocks. This also means that if you say something like "It's twenty to three" you might as well be speaking in Albanian.

I remember analogue clock sessions in school, part of the maths syllabus. What happened to teaching students about the real world?

HonestJoe

Not sure if I should put this here or somewhere more seriously, it is slightly concerning :D
No more concerning than people who think this kind of video is reflective of any kind of general reality. If you spend enough time randomly stopping people on the street and asking them a whole bunch of different questions, you could put together a ten minute video of any group of people giving stupid answers (even if you don't plant any actors in the mix too).

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
How old is a 6 year old boy?

I could have asked random people random questions and just post the most idiotic responses, too, if there was a such thing as TikTok in the early 80s.

Every generation has its morons, including my own.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
No more concerning than people who think this kind of video is reflective of any kind of general reality. If you spend enough time randomly stopping people on the street and asking them a whole bunch of different questions, you could put together a ten minute video of any group of people giving stupid answers (even if you don't plant any actors in the mix too).
Exactly. And my generation is the type that you bother them to ask questions they'll answer the way they know you want them to. If you trying to prove a point like oh people are dumb then yes they'll answer wrong even if they know the correct answer.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Exactly. And my generation is the type that you bother them to ask questions they'll answer the way they know you want them to. If you trying to prove a point like oh people are dumb then yes they'll answer wrong even if they know the correct answer.
Yeah looking at the video some the folk look like they pretending to be dumb because they were asked randomly and are annoyed, just to go viral or perhaps they were paid. It also could be staged.

Edit: some also look like they just froze and cant think cuz they were put in the spot.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I can actually remember being one of the first in class who could read an analogue clock as a child but I probably picked this up from having two older brothers, and not exactly much of an accomplishment. As to much else, many just don't seem to take in trivia (or basic information) as much as some others. In quiz shows on TV now my memory seems quite good for my age but then I mostly have had a good memory for facts and such.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The gal who didn't know how many states
were in USA reminded me that Obama
said he'd been to 57 of them.