• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What's an irritating misconception about your line of work?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I'll start. I've had a few jobs in my career. My last two jobs were in software engineering and education.

People think being a software engineer means you can troubleshoot hardware problems.

People think that if you're a professor or teacher, student performance is directly correlated to instructor efficacy. You'll get hounded over the 10% that fail your class rather than the 10% that get A's.

That as a retiree, you sit around the house doing nothing all day.

Oh..., yeah, that part is kind of true. :shrug:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Retired retail exec. here. The misconception being I was a college graduate that knew nothing about real day-to-day store-life. In actuality I hit retail as a part-time stocker with high school only, and worked, and sacrificed my way to low-level Corp. Exec. over many years, just to work with a bunch of (by no means all) college graduates that knew nothing about store-life. LOL

And, no, the customer is NOT always right!

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
People think being a software engineer means you can troubleshoot hardware problems.
Don't get me started on that one.....

"i'm a software engineer" is a phrase that somehow makes people think you can repair or trouble shoot just about any device that has a chip in it.

1715633104767.png