• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Jesus?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
And this is where our understandings diverge.
It does? Why? I see that from the Bible, Jesus healed the sick, preached about the kingdom of God, was put to death instigated by his opposers but was resurrected from the grave and spoke to his disciples on the earth until he ascended to heaven where he went to be with his heavenly Father. What do you think happened instead?
Even then Paul, then known as Saul, was persecuting followers of Christ until Jesus appeared in a vision to him and he realized what was going on.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
It does? Why? I see that from the Bible, Jesus healed the sick, preached about the kingdom of God, was put to death instigated by his opposers but was resurrected from the grave and spoke to his disciples on the earth until he ascended to heaven where he went to be with his heavenly Father. What do you think happened instead?
It doesn't matter what I think.

I have no interest in debating my own views about the life and death of Jesus or the veracity of Biblical stories. I see nothing productive down that road for either of us.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Even then Paul, then known as Saul, was persecuting followers of Christ until Jesus appeared in a vision to him and he realized what was going on.
" but was resurrected from the grave and spoke to his disciples on the earth "
It is wrong.
Jesus did not die on the Cross, that is why he was seen by his friends, right?
NT Bible is not a good source of knowing the reality, right?

Regards

YoursTrue

" but was resurrected from the grave and spoke to his disciples on the earth "
It is wrong.
Jesus did not die on the Cross, that is why he was seen by his friends, right?
NT Bible is not a good source of knowing the reality, right?

Regards
The term you are leaving out is resurrection. He--was--resurrected. You know what that means, don't you, right? If you don't think the written description in the Bible is accurate, or true, that's up to you, right? And so of course you wouldn't believe that Jesus was dead for approximately three days and then given life, right, paarsurrey? Of course if you believe other prophets, whether they're right o wrong, that's your choice, right, paarsurrey?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Regarding your thread title, I don't know what to think of him, really. He seems to be kind and reasonable one moment but the next he turns into a lunatic by pontificating about how we are all damned to the fiery flames if we don't kiss his feet. Maybe he is bipolar?
This seems to have been the case with the many Jesus' in the 1st century A.D. Just look at Jesus Ben Ananias' actions in 60 A.D according to Flavius Josephus.
Not Jesus. but a wrong translating of the word Gehenna
The King James version translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire
That is a reason why there are people who think Jesus is reasonable one moment but not the next
'bipolar' translators? because Jesus and the OT both teach only 'sleep' in death - Psalm 115:17; John 11:11-14
Jesus said there would be great tribulation in the 1st century besides the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14
Jesus Ben Ananias of course is Not Jesus Christ
In the year 66 the Christians in Jerusalem left Jerusalem so when the Romans armies returned in the year 70 the Christians were long gone
Josephus writes of the developments between the Romans 1st assult on Jerusalem (year 66) and its coming destruction in the year 70
" During the night a devastating storm broke; a hurricane raged, rain fell in torrents, lighting flashed continuously, the thunderclaps were terrifying, the earth quaked with deafening roars. Disaster to the human race was plainly foreshadowed by this collapse of the whole framework of things, and no one could doubt that the omens portended a catastrophe without parallel."

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I figured that. But the real preaching began after he was resurrected.
Good point above because right before resurrected Jesus ascended to Heaven at Acts 1:8 Jesus said how extensive the work of Matthew 24:14 would be. Jesus' followers would be witnesses of him Not only in Jerusalem...... but to the most distant or uttermost part of the Earth.
We are now at the ' final phase ' of Matt. 24:14; Acts 1:8
So, this international preaching means we are also nearing the ' final signal ' (see 1st Thess. 5:2-3) when the powers in charge are saying, " Peace and Security....." but that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path to destruction because of instead of Peace on Earth that Rosy saying will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 before Jesus takes the action of Rev. 19:14-15 to rid the Earth of the wicked - Psalm 104:35

YoursTrue

Good point above because right before resurrected Jesus ascended to Heaven at Acts 1:8 Jesus said how extensive the work of Matthew 24:14 would be. Jesus' followers would be witnesses of him Not only in Jerusalem...... but to the most distant or uttermost part of the Earth.
So, this international preaching means we are also nearing the ' final signal ' (see 1st Thess. 5:2-3) when the powers in charge are saying, " Peace and Security....." but that Rosy saying can lead people down that old Primrose Path to destruction because of instead of Peace on Earth that Rosy saying will prove to be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 before Jesus takes the action of Rev. 19:14-15 to rid the Earth of the wicked - Psalm 104:35
Exactly. So when I met the Witnesses and I vehemently objected to the one speaking to me, she informed me that the Witnesses do not go to war, and I thought wow, that means they follow Christ. I never heard anything like it before. I told her, ok, I'll study with you but I'll never become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. She said I don't have to become one and can stop the study any time. And -- here I am. :)

YoursTrue

That makes sense. Through many trials and tribulations and now many people have heard the "good news" about Jesus and the kingdom of God. :)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
That makes sense. Through many trials and tribulations and now many people have heard the "good news" about Jesus and the kingdom of God. :)
Many it seems to me want to think 'God's Kingdom equals Heaven' instead of government ( Daniel 2:44; 7:13-14 )
But why would Jesus ask us to pray for Heaven to come ( thy kingdom come..... )
Heaven would Not fit on Earth, so Heaven would Not come to Earth
However, Jesus being King of God's Kingdom government can and will bring God's kingdom government to Earth for us
- 1st Corinthians 15:24-26

YoursTrue

Many it seems to me want to think 'God's Kingdom equals Heaven' instead of government ( Daniel 2:44; 7:13-14 )
But why would Jesus ask us to pray for Heaven to come ( thy kingdom come..... )
Heaven would Not fit on Earth, so Heaven would Not come to Earth
However, Jesus being King of God's Kingdom government can and will bring God's kingdom government to Earth for us
- 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Yes. Why would Jesus teach his disciples to pray for God's kingdom to come to the earth as it is in heaven unless God's kingdom was not on the earth at that time?

Not Jesus. but a wrong translating of the word Gehenna
The King James version translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire
That is a reason why there are people who think Jesus is reasonable one moment but not the next
'bipolar' translators? because Jesus and the OT both teach only 'sleep' in death
Yes, I know the historicity. As far as I'm concerned about the biblical Jesus, sleep just means death in a figurative context. Jesus wouldn't have preached about eternal life after death if he shared atheistic views. You are taking that out of context. The old testament teaches Sheol, not sleep. This is incorrect what you say. Sheol just means the grave, the pit. The word later evolved into an under world where all souls go to. The afterlife is quite obscure in Judaism. Christianity is quite clear on its teaching about Heaven and eternal torment.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Jesus wouldn't have preached about eternal life after death if he shared atheistic views.
While I certainly agree with you 100% that Jesus believed in an afterlife, I just feel the need to remind you that there are many people who believe in God but don't have any belief in an afterlife. It's not "atheistic."

YoursTrue

While I certainly agree with you 100% that Jesus believed in an afterlife, I just feel the need to remind you that there are many people who believe in God but don't have any belief in an afterlife. It's not "atheistic."
On the other hand, some do believe (like the Jew Maimonides) that the resurrection of the dead will come. And they also believe when the Messiah comes the dead will arise. Each to his own, hmm?

YoursTrue

It doesn't matter what I think.

I have no interest in debating my own views about the life and death of Jesus or the veracity of Biblical stories. I see nothing productive down that road for either of us.
In a way you are correct, since I am quite convinced that the Bible is reflective of the truth about God. No debate needed.

Yes, I only say that because most atheists do not believe in an afterlife and instead eternal sleep. This is their usual belief. That's why I coined it an atheistic belief. I'm not aware of any other ideology that explicitly teaches such a thing also. If someone believes in God and not an afterlife, they should seriously think through about whether or not they actually believe in God. It makes no sense.