• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Jesus?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So why are you involving yourself with a discussion concerning the Lord's return?
Like I said, the fact that Jesus did NOT return soon is a definite problem that Christians need to address. There are Christians who like to try to weedle away from the problem by using the verse "A thousand years are as a day" to God. My point is that this is not a formula to be using for figuring out what time references such as "soon" mean in the Bible. You guys will need to do a LOT better than that.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Like I said, the fact that Jesus did NOT return soon is a definite problem that Christians need to address. There are Christians who like to try to weedle away from the problem by using the verse "A thousand years are as a day" to God. My point is that this is not a formula to be using for figuring out what time references such as "soon" mean in the Bible. You guys will need to do a LOT better than that.
Do not worry yourself my Jewish friend, the Lord will be here at the appointed hour.

IndigoChild5559

Ok, we are back in sync, The Lord returns when he returns, not before and not after. You don't have to respond to this. :)
Not trying to be offensive here, I respect that you have your own beliefs. But try to remember that Jesus is not my Lord. Only God is my savior. To me, Jesus is dead and buried and I'm not expecting any second coming.

Kelly of the Phoenix

Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and[b]difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
Matthew 7:13-14
Sounds like God doesn’t really want to admit anyone or He would make it easier to get in.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Not trying to be offensive here, I respect that you have your own beliefs. But try to remember that Jesus is not my Lord. Only God is my savior. To me, Jesus is dead and buried and I'm not expecting any second coming.
I respect your belief too, all cultures have their own perspective wrt the bigger picture', they all have their truth.

IndigoChild5559

I'm curious on why people don't believe in Jesus?
I'm not sure if I've already answered this or not. It came up in my alerts, but appears to be somewhat old.

I believe a historical Jesus existed, but that he was nothing like the Jesus of the gospels. Not a prophet. Not the messiah. Not God. Just brother J, a nice Jewish man.

If you are asking why I don't believe Jesus is God or messiah, I have some questions for you, beginning with "Why should I?"

What makes Jesus any different from any of the many other Jews that have sought to be the Messiah and failed? How is he any different than Bar Kokhba or Sabbatai? Just like them, he never fulfilled the prophecies. He never ushered in an idyllic era of world peace during which he ruled Israel, which is essentially what the messiah is.

What makes you think Jesus is God? Do you also believe that Caesar was god? Are there other creatures or things in nature that you also think are god? Do you realize that it makes just as much sense to say "This rock is god," or "That horse is god" as it makes to say "Jesus is god"? Do you realize that the Tanakh (what you call the Old Testament) teaches on four separate occasions that God is not a man?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Sure. Several months can be said to be soon. 2000 years can't.
Except that it DIDN'T happen soon.
Not in the first century, but the setting or time frame for Revelation (1:10) is for our time period / our day.
Remember the illustration Jesus gave at Luke 19:11-15 Jesus, as the nobleman, would first go away (long journey) before he would later return.
This is a reason why No one knows the day or hour - Matt. 24:36
But we do know when the 'season is ripe' and today's world's violence is ripe for action.
spreading violence coupled with the international spreading about God's Kingdom (Dan. 2:44) just as Jesus instructed to do at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What was coming was the end of everything. Like the discussions between the people:
2 Peter 3
4 … Where is the promise of his coming? For since the fathers fell asleep, all things
continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
It was over for everyone ... hence you had better get your act straight or - bye bye.
1 Pet. 4:17
17 For the time has come that judgment must begin at the house of God. And if it
first begin with us, what shall the end be of those who obey not the Gospel of God?
Mark 9:1 says:
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste
death
before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”
Only problem was ... it never happened, and people have been stretching this picture out ever since..............
Please notice Matthew 17:9 in connection to Mark 9:1; Luke 9:27 because the Transfiguration was a VISION.
A VISION and Not a real occurance. Matt. 17 and Mark 9 is in connection to Matthew 25:31-34,37 Jesus' coming Glory Time.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Do consider that Jesus never promised the Kingdom here on this world, in fact he made it clear the kingdom of God is not of this world. John 18:36
'Clear' because the Kingdom reigns or rules from Heaven over Earth - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10
A heavenly kingdom government governing over Earth for a thousand years - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Remember John 14:19 because the world will see Jesus No more, but we will see the effects of the heavenly Kingdom.
So, 'yes', the kingdom (Dan.2:44) is not part of any of this world's kingdoms/governments but separate.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Sounds like God doesn’t really want to admit anyone or He would make it easier to get in.
Sure it was 'easy enough' in the paradisical Garden of Eden - Genesis 2:17
I find it is the 'god' of this world of badness - 2nd Corinthians 4:4, aka sinner Satan the Devil - John 8:44 - who threw a monkey wrench into God's purpose of Genesis 1:28 _________
If you were out working in your garden and someone came along and interrupted you, would you say because you were interrupted you would never go back to your garden, or once the interruption was over you would go back ?
This is why God's sent Jesus to enter the interrupted garden (Earth) for us.
Jesus will do away with the ones who cause interruption - the wicked - Psalms 92:7; 104:35' 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22.
Sinner Satan is wicked and Jesus will also do away with Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B
Starting with the figurative 'sheep' at Jesus' coming Glory Time (Matt. 25:31-24,37) it will be easy for the 'sheep' because of Jesus the ' sheep' can be here to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Not necessarily, but I think it would depend on what the point or condition of eternal life is meant to be.
Interesting that you say point or condition of eternal life is meant to be.
Interesting because the Bible teaches about two (2) resurrections:
* A first or earlier resurrection to life in Heaven for some - see Rev. 20:6; 2:10; 5:9-10; Daniel 7:18.
* A later or future resurrection (Acts 24:15) for people who will inherit (Not Heaven) but inherit the Earth.
The Earth as Jesus promised at Matt. 5:5 from Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26 and beautifully described by Isaiah's paradisical word picture found in the 35th chapter of Isaiah.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I respect your belief too, all cultures have their own perspective wrt the bigger picture', they all have their truth.
.... and Jesus taught his truth. To Jesus the Scriptures are the BIG 'religious truth' .

- John 17:17,19; John 17:3; 2nd Peter 3:18; 1st John 5:20

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
.... and Jesus taught his truth. To Jesus the Scriptures are the BIG 'religious truth' .

- John 17:17,19; John 17:3; 2nd Peter 3:18; 1st John 5:20
That's good, God gave to all cultures their respective religious teachings, and they are all true. If you have not been exposed to other religious teachings, that's fine, the words of Jesus if lived truly will see you in Heaven. It is the same with the other religious teachings, it is in the living of it that counts, not in the discussions.

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
It is the same with the other religious teachings, it is in the living of it that counts, not in the discussions.
This is so true! I agree with you, I feel the entire Bible supports what you have said here.