• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Has Your Experience Been Like with Vegans and Vegetarians?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the stereotypes I have encountered a lot, mostly online, is that vegetarians and vegans are usually "preachy," "self-righteous," "ostentatious," etc., but my personal experience with vegans and vegetarians has been a far cry from those stereotypes and generalizations. Some people seem to associate the dietary decisions with things like online clips of fringe protesters trying to shut down or damage restaurants, even though the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians simply don't get in people's faces about it.

For one thing, the cuisine of the society I live in extensively includes meat, and animal products are so pervasive that being vegetarian, let alone vegan, is not only highly inconvenient but also socially challenging in many cases (e.g., when one goes to family gatherings, restaurants, etc.). Merely refusing to order or eat meat can result in intrusive questions, assumptions, and disapproval—one of the core ideas behind that being "if God allowed us to eat meat, why are you forbidding it for yourself?"

For another thing, I have rarely encountered any preaching, judgmentalism, or shaming from vegans and vegetarians, even while out with them and ordering meat at the same table. Instead, most of that tends to be hurled in their direction from meat eaters who keep bringing up the topic or taking digs at the vegans' and vegetarians' dietary choices. The most questioning I have gotten from a vegan was when he asked me a passing question about what I thought of the conditions in which poultry is typically kept in industrial farms. On the other hand, most vegans and vegetarians I know have experienced a lot of mocking and preaching from various people, sometimes including family and friends.

Whether you're a meat eater, vegan, vegetarian, or pescatarian, what has your experience been like with vegans and vegetarians? As a meat eater, I haven't had any more issues with them than with fellow meat eaters, so the stereotypes have certainly been inapplicable to my experience—the stereotypical roles have largely been reversed in many cases, if anything.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I have had bad experiences with many.

How so, if you don't mind sharing? For example, did they bring up the topic of diet on their own or aggressively try to convince you of their diet?

But then I am a kind of biological determinist and their arguments simply don't cohere with my worldview.

I understand that, but in the OP, I'm focusing more on how the disagreement is handled; that there is disagreement between vegans/vegetarians and meat eaters is almost always a given, after all.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
How so, if you don't mind sharing? For example, did they bring up the topic of diet on their own or aggressively try to convince you of their diet?
Even on this forum, whenever I make a food related topic, certain vegans and others come in and turn it into a thread about how meat-eating is bad.

Some are very loud in real life and attack innocent businesses, destroy produce etc.

Just not had a good experience overall as many come off as ideologues. I strongly dislike that kind of thing.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
One of the stereotypes I have encountered a lot, mostly online, is that vegetarians and vegans are usually "preachy," "self-righteous," "ostentatious," etc., but my personal experience with vegans and vegetarians has been a far cry from those stereotypes and generalizations. Some people seem to associate the dietary decisions with things like online clips of fringe protesters trying to shut down or damage restaurants, even though the vast majority of vegans and vegetarians simply don't get in people's faces about it.

For one thing, the cuisine of the society I live in extensively includes meat, and animal products are so pervasive that being vegetarian, let alone vegan, is not only highly inconvenient but also socially challenging in many cases (e.g., when one goes to family gatherings, restaurants, etc.). Merely refusing to order or eat meat can result in intrusive questions, assumptions, and disapproval—one of the core ideas behind that being "if God allowed us to eat meat, why are you forbidding it for yourself?"

For another thing, I have rarely encountered any preaching, judgmentalism, or shaming from vegans and vegetarians, even while out with them and ordering meat at the same table. Instead, most of that tends to be hurled in their direction from meat eaters who keep bringing up the topic or taking digs at the vegans' and vegetarians' dietary choices. The most questioning I have gotten from a vegan was when he asked me a passing question about what I thought of the conditions in which poultry is typically kept in industrial farms. On the other hand, most vegans and vegetarians I know have experienced a lot of mocking and preaching from various people, sometimes including family and friends.

Whether you're a meat eater, vegan, vegetarian, or pescatarian, what has your experience been like with vegans and vegetarians? As a meat eater, I haven't had any more issues with them than with fellow meat eaters, so the stereotypes have certainly been inapplicable to my experience—the stereotypical roles have largely been reversed in many cases, if anything.
I remember meeting a vegetarian about thirty years ago at work. She had terrible taste in music, thought crystals had healing properties and liked ballet. Thirty years later she still listens to rubbish, still believes in new age nonsense and still likes ballet. Other than that we're still together.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Even on this forum, whenever I make a food related topic, certain vegans and others come in and turn it into a thread about how meat-eating is bad.

I see. How much, if at all, have your experiences with vegans and vegetarians online been similar to your offline experiences with them?

Some are very loud in real life and attack innocent businesses, destroy produce etc.

How representative are those of the vegans and vegetarians you have personally interacted with?

Just not had a good experience overall as many come off as ideologues. I strongly dislike that kind of thing.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been good. It can definitely be unpleasant to encounter anyone who is forceful or aggressive about their views in an unsolicited manner.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. How much, if at all, have your experiences with vegans and vegetarians online been similar to your offline experiences with them?
So-so, I'll explain below.

How representative are those of the vegans and vegetarians in you have personally interacted with?
Veganism is actually falling out of fashion, so it's different now to around 5 years ago. My flatmate was going to become a vegan but didn't. Vegan labelled products are declining in sales here. I think many young people saw it as a fad.

I'm sorry your experience hasn't been good. It can definitely be unpleasant to encounter anyone who is forceful or aggressive about their views in an unsolicited manner.
Indeed. I dislike it a lot.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Obviously you're in a different culture than me! Here in the UK red meat consumption has reduced by 17% in the last decade; being a veggie is really a non-issue here. Nobody gets r-see. Vegetarian and vegan selections in most eateries are good.

Daemon Sophic

As a wanna-be vegan (on occasion I stray with dairy), I’ve certainly taken heckling over the years from meat eaters, but I try not to lower the boom on them.
And various vegans I’ve known have kept it to themselves when eating with mixed company. Most are very willing to share information with meat eaters about veganism IF THEY ARE ASKED. But I haven’t seen the farcical stereotype who go out of there way to ridicule meat eaters.

Well done! You have a rare sense of humor.
The first was good, but this…..this is a little over-done.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

This has been my experience as well.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I've bumped into one or two radical vegans who preached at me for being lacto-vegetarian, but generally it's been fine. On a personal note, it took colleagues about 10 years to realise I was a vegetarian. Many people are rather low-key about food. Another colleague had Celiac's and it took me a while to grasp the seriousness of that one.

I've also been scorned at by non-vegetarians, but it's incredibly rare, and no longer happens since I retired, and the general knowledge about food all around has increased. In other words, it's far less likely these days to get the 'But where do you get your protein?' question.