• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What constitutes Cosmic Space?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Depending on whom is doing the describing, there are a number of concepts of a reality about that imply omnipresence. There may be more than these?

Dark Energy
Spirit
Higgs Field
Ether
Quantum Field

Obviously these concepts represent realities that must have common aspect/s shared by the other/s.

So what fills the omnipresence of space?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Depending on whom is doing the describing, there are a number of concepts of a reality about that imply omnipresence. There may be more than these?

Dark Energy
Spirit
Higgs Field
Ether
Quantum Field

Obviously these concepts represent realities that must have common aspect/s shared by the other/s.

I would say everything, from galaxies, black holes, suns, planets down to rocks, dust, atoms and quantum particles. Space is a long way from being empty

Heyo

Veteran Member

Dark Energy
Spirit
Higgs Field
Ether
Quantum Field

Nope.
Two of the five don't represent reality.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I would say everything, from galaxies, black holes, suns, planets down to rocks, dust, atoms and quantum particles. Space is a long way from being empty
I guess I did not phrase that very well, all the items you mentioned are present throughout omnipresent space, but none of them are of themselves intrinsically occupying all space. This is not as easy as I thought to phrase but do you get what I mean?

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Nope.
Two of the five don't represent reality.
What's in a name, the ancients did not have the science to know em fields, energy vibrations, etc., but they obviously intuited that space was not empty. Knowledge evolves over time, we keep adding to it, the concept of an omnipresent ether that has properties like energy vibrations is built on the concept of an omnipresent spirit, and so modern science can't claim that the ancients were in error conceiving of omnipresent space, yes?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But if I'm not mistaken, all the items you mentioned, of themselves do not constitute omnipresent space, they merely populate space.?

Correct. One of the definition of space is...
the dimensions of height, depth, and width within which all things exist and move.​

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

Dark Energy
Spirit
Higgs Field
Ether
Quantum Field

Is this one of those unrelated word mashup exercises where we take two words that are two separately distinct things, use them in a phrase, and make up definitions for them?

Cosmic is that which is related to the cosmos, i.e. the universe. Space is the boundless unoccupied extent in which objects occur, which is the substrate for the cosmos.

Your question, to me, reads like, "What constitutes Paint Canvas?"

Redemptionsong

Dark Energy
Spirit
Higgs Field
Ether
Quantum Field

To my understanding, God created heaven and earth. The universe had a beginning, and has reached a certain extent after so many billions of years, as observations and calculations indicate.

I understand that the physical universe exists within God, not outside of God. This leads me to the conclusion material being arises from unseen spiritual being, as indicated by the creation account in Genesis.

Heyo

Veteran Member
What's in a name, the ancients did not have the science to know em fields, energy vibrations, etc., but they obviously intuited that space was not empty. Knowledge evolves over time, we keep adding to it, the concept of an omnipresent ether that has properties like energy vibrations is built on the concept of an omnipresent spirit, and so modern science can't claim that the ancients were in error conceiving of omnipresent space, yes?
No. Ex falso quodlibet, even, occasionally, a true statement. The hypothesis of an ether was falsified by the Michelson–Morley experiment - Wikipedia in 1887. Ether is not part of our space-time reality and neither is spirit.

RestlessSoul

What is real? What remains of the world, when we strip away all the layers of sensation, subjective observation, perspective and illusion? This may be the most profound question we can ask; it may also be the most absurd.

"It is better to consider a particle not as a permanent entity, but rather as an instantaneous event. Sometimes these events form chains that give the illusion of being permanent, but only in particular circumstances and only for an extremely brief period of time in each individual case."

- Erwin Schrodinger

"His [Nagarjuna's] is not metaphysical extravagance. It is sobriety. It recognises the fact that to enquire about the ultimate foundation of everything is to ask a question that simply does not make sense."

- Carlo Rovelli

"There is no cardinal or final fixed point, philosophical or methodological, with which to anchor the adventure of knowledge."

- Rovelli again.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Correct. One of the definition of space is...
the dimensions of height, depth, and width within which all things exist and move.​
Got that Christine. Btw, sorry about my late edit Christine, I don't seem to be getting notifications of new comments at the moment..

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Is this one of those unrelated word mashup exercises where we take two words that are two separately distinct things, use them in a phrase, and make up definitions for them?

Cosmic is that which is related to the cosmos, i.e. the universe. Space is the boundless unoccupied extent in which objects occur, which is the substrate for the cosmos.

Your question, to me, reads like, "What constitutes Paint Canvas?"
You will need to clarify, please quote the passage of my comment that contains "cosmic" that you are referring to?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
No. Ex falso quodlibet, even, occasionally, a true statement. The hypothesis of an ether was falsified by the Michelson–Morley experiment - Wikipedia in 1887. Ether is not part of our space-time reality and neither is spirit.
No, the hypothesis of an ether that exhibits the form that was falsified by the Michelson–Morley experiment is one thing, the hypothesis of the concept of an omnipresent ether is still valid, the concept 'ether' in this sense means no more than the concept 'dark energy'.

RestlessSoul

No, the hypothesis of an ether that exhibits the form that was falsified by the Michelson–Morley experiment is one thing, the hypothesis of the concept of an omnipresent ether is still valid, the concept 'ether' in this sense means no more than the concept 'dark energy'.

All phenomena may be considered ethereal, in the sense of being insubstantial, fleeting, and devoid of any innate qualities - other than those exhibited in interaction with other phenomena.

But that may be a very particular interpretation or use of the concept of ether.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It could be that the basis of our experience is information: uncreated form not made of anything. Suppose that given a set of rules there are x number of possible realities. We could be one of those possible realities. The difficulty is that we think of the universe as if it experiences time, but we now know (through relativity) that time is a dimension. Since its a dimension, everything that we think of as motion may not represent change. The entire universe, all of its seeming motion, could simply be a ghost consisting of rules rather than an actual universe. No actual space but only the ghost of space consisting of the rules and the order which would result in a space such as ours.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
That, for sure, is 'physical energy' aka Brahman. Now, I do not know if Brahman has a non-existent phase. Do space/time/energy do a disappearing act?
Space/time/energy came into existence from some other more primordial state perhaps, what ever exists is Brahman, whatever does not exist is not Brahman (not anything actually).