• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Approach or Approaches Have Worked for You When Courting Someone?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
What approach or approaches have worked for you when courting someone toward whom you had or have romantic feelings?

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't take any general advice.

What I mean by that is there are no 'cookie cutter' approaches to these things. There isn't anything all women love, or all men love. There's no 'standards' in relationships. What worked for 46 other couples might ruin another couple.

These affairs come from the heart, not the head. Listen to that.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't take any general advice.

What I mean by that is there are no 'cookie cutter' approaches to these things. There isn't anything all women love, or all men love. There's no 'standards' in relationships. What worked for 46 other couples might ruin another couple.

These affairs come from the heart, not the head. Listen to that.

I agree, on all counts. Perhaps my question would better reflect the above if I worded it as, "What has worked for you during courting?" instead of being about advice or tips.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What approach or approaches have worked for you when courting someone toward whom you had or have romantic feelings?

Love poetry might work. However, my poems would always degenerate into some kind of radical political diatribe, so it would only really impress politically radical women - which are somewhat rare, actually.

Some people say that gifts are always welcome, as we see here:

blog_image_4080_7537_Peanuts_By_Charles_Schulz_April_8__1957_201706301456.jpg

Rational Agnostic

Hmmm, what do you mean by "worked?" This is very open-ended. Are you asking about how to ask someone out or are you already dating someone and trying to enhance your existing relationship or what?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Keep completly off the topic of romance and talk about common interests and just have fun which is the whole point of being together in the first place.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

I legit don't see the point of courting per se someone you have romantic feelings for.

If the person in question is already interested in me, I only have to invite her to some activity that would be usual to couples, like watching a movie at the theater and then slowly treating her as if we were a couple already while at it. That's it.

If that person is not interested in me, there is zilch I can do about that, other than somehow trying to give a fake impression, which is a terrible idea if you want to start a relationship with that person.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
At one time I thought that stalking was a good idea. Turns out I was mistaken. And no matter what do not hide in her shower.

Seriously? Chat her up a bit. See if there is anything that both of you like to do and then propose to do it together. By the way, just like stalking, sex is not something that you propose to do together when getting to know someone. See above.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Romance is something best learned by meeting people and being open. And what's "in" and what's "out" in this day in regards to romance, is constantly evolving.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Be yourself, be considerate, be confident, take it as it goes, don't try to show off.

It worked for Paul

Edit : and no infractions or bans ;-)

Last edited:

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I have found developing a friendship first, being myself (despite how goofy and dorky I am), and being honest were the most helpful things. Like, even more so than flirting. I think most people really just want a genuine person rather than a perfect one, so showing that you are such is a big first step.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
Just straight up ask them out? Then again I've only dated like 3 people and i was a teen.

As an adult i havent pursued anyone romantically but it seems a lot of folk find me attractive so I have sexted a few people with consent...but sexual stuff don't equal romance...