• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

watch an elephant paint a pic of an elephant with your own eyes

Heyo

Veteran Member
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but you just have to watch this. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Not only does she paint a picture of an elephant more accurate than a human child, but she signs the painting with her written name.
Human child? She has a better eye than most human adults.

MikeF

Premium Member
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but you just have to watch this. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Not only does she paint a picture of an elephant more accurate than a human child, but she signs the painting with her written name.

Not to diminish what is being accomplished here, I am left asking the some questions like, does the elephant recognize the drawing as a representation of an elephant, or is it simply the lines necessary to place on a paper to get the human handlers to provide a treat and leave the elephant "artist" alone.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not to diminish what is being accomplished here, I am left asking the some questions like, does the elephant recognize the drawing as a representation of an elephant, or is it simply the lines necessary to place on a paper to get the human handlers to provide a treat and leave the elephant "artist" alone.

Activist organizations like the Elephant Asia Rescue and Survival Foundation (EARS) warn that elephants can undergo extreme discomfort in the training process. Repeated discomfort can detract from their quality of life, especially when they are forced to paint the same picture over and over. Critics point out that videos of painting elephants often feature trainers standing nearby with bullhooks in their hands—evidence of the physical pain that's used to teach them such tricks.
Is Elephant Painting Cruel?

They are doing what they've been trained to do. Even if trained humanely, they are being made to work for some human to make a profit, not self expression.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Activist organizations like the Elephant Asia Rescue and Survival Foundation (EARS) warn that elephants can undergo extreme discomfort in the training process. Repeated discomfort can detract from their quality of life, especially when they are forced to paint the same picture over and over. Critics point out that videos of painting elephants often feature trainers standing nearby with bullhooks in their hands—evidence of the physical pain that's used to teach them such tricks.

They are doing what they've been trained to do. Even if trained humanely, they are being made to work for some human to make a profit, not self expression.
Much the way humans are trained. Yes, the degree self expression may be an issue, but elephants do have many what would be called aspects of human intelligence and behavior.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Even if they are "just" trained, it is remarkable that they can be trained to do it. (And you can't train all elephants, they have to have talent.)