• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tools, not Rules

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For me, a simple way of remembering the dharmic way of life is to think of our guidelines, such as those given in the Yoga Sutras, Tirukkural, or other scripture is to mentally think they are tools, not rules. Vegetarianism is a simple example. It's a tool to keep my consciousness in a higher state, not some "Don't eat this!" heavy handed way of thinking. Similarly, going to the temple on a regular basis is my maintenance for the soul. Just as a car needs regular oil changes, the temple provides blessing from the Gods such as alleviating karma, uplifting spirits, cleaning garbage from the mind, or inspiring insight.

Surrounded by a society that often pays much undue focus on rules, thinking of them as tools brings a less rigid, more reflective mood, which is what my path is all about.

Ideas?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
For me, a simple way of remembering the dharmic way of life is to think of our guidelines, such as those given in the Yoga Sutras, Tirukkural, or other scripture is to mentally think they are tools, not rules. Vegetarianism is a simple example. It's a tool to keep my consciousness in a higher state, not some "Don't eat this!" heavy handed way of thinking. Similarly, going to the temple on a regular basis is my maintenance for the soul. Just as a car needs regular oil changes, the temple provides blessing from the Gods such as alleviating karma, uplifting spirits, cleaning garbage from the mind, or inspiring insight.

Surrounded by a society that often pays much undue focus on rules, thinking of them as tools brings a less rigid, more reflective mood, which is what my path is all about.

Ideas?
Adopting this attitude was vital for my mental health. I was beating myself up over all the rules I couldn't follow, and that certainly wasn't contributing to spiritual growth.

I was reading on of Ram Dass's books the other day, and there was a bit on purification. He said something akin to "if it hinders your path to God, let it go. If it aids it, keep it." Purification often gets taken too roughly(and before one is ready).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Adopting this attitude was vital for my mental health. I was beating myself up over all the rules I couldn't follow, and that certainly wasn't contributing to spiritual growth.

I was reading on of Ram Dass's books the other day, and there was a bit on purification. He said something akin to "if it hinders your path to God, let it go. If it aids it, keep it." Purification often gets taken too roughly(and before one is ready).
The point about 'readiness' is so apt. We need to have a clear intellectually honesty of what we're capable of, less we do nothing, or on the other extreme, burn out.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Ideas?
Fully agree

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
books also are very good gurus, upanishads, gita, bhagwat purana, etc.
for me, just the second chapter of gita is enough.
So far, books have been my only guru.

Its not a bad thing, though sometimes a knowledgeable person can help direct you where to open it to.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
books also are very good gurus, upanishads, gita, bhagwat purana, etc.
for me, just the second chapter of gita is enough.
Can you phone up a book and get advice that is unique to you, and a particular situation? When you have a medical condition, do you read a book, look on the internet, or go to a doctor?

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
So far, books have been my only guru.

Its not a bad thing, though sometimes a knowledgeable person can help direct you where to open it to.

When I read something helpful that I feel inclined to follow in śāstra, I like to imagine what a wise, experienced, knowing, and benevolent guide would say to me about it. I imagine a genuine guru as someone like Morpheus in The Matrix. Someone who is unpretentious, has nothing to gain, and you know that this person is genuine and is truly guiding you to something amazing. Ultimately, the guru is in some way the one who we might call Bhagavān or Śiva or Brahman. Looking at your own experiences, looking at your own inclinations and where they have brought you, looking at where you are now in your spiritual journey, you might see that the Guru of Gurus has been guiding you this whole time.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
When I read something helpful that I feel inclined to follow in śāstra, I like to imagine what a wise, experienced, knowing, and benevolent guide would say to me about it. I imagine a genuine guru as someone like Morpheus in The Matrix. Someone who is unpretentious, has nothing to gain, and you know that this person is genuine and is truly guiding you to something amazing. Ultimately, the guru is in some way the one who we might call Bhagavān or Śiva or Brahman. Looking at your own experiences, looking at your own inclinations and where they have brought you, looking at where you are now in your spiritual journey, you might see that the Guru of Gurus has been guiding you this whole time.
I think about that sometimes... I might not have a worldly guru, but that doesn't mean I have none at all.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I think about that sometimes... I might not have a worldly guru, but that doesn't mean I have none at all.

I had the feeling that you think about that.

Indeed, you have a guru: the Guru. In Indonesian Hinduism, Śiva is known as Sang Hyang Pramesti Guru, meaning The God who is the Guru of the Universe. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Can you phone up a book and get advice that is unique to you, and a particular situation? When you have a medical condition, do you read a book, look on the internet, or go to a doctor?
i have my books with me, gita, sri rama charit manas, srimad bhagawatham (which is older than me. it is a 1940 edition in fairly good shape). i can access upanishads on internet. that is enough for me. this is adhyatmic, relating to the mind.
medical conditions are a different category, adhibhoutic, relating to the body. for that i go to the doctor, may see information on net, take medicines, always allopathic, never ayurvedic or others.
otherwise i will ask qestions on internet forums. there are many gurus around like you, sayak, salix or valjean.

Last edited: