• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Short on career options. Scared

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
My plan B all the way through Z has been to work in the restaurant industry somewhere in a back of the house position.

I've given up plan A, (global domination), so I've been commiting to plan B.

I have an old back injury from my first restaurant job. As a result, my lower/mid back will periodically cramp up intensely. Not helping with matters, I experienced a bout of homelessness at the age of 20, which resulted in me carrying a 100lb+ bag over my back/shoulders in the slouched position while hiking up hill. This resulted in the bending of my upper back, causing more issues and pain.

At three of my previous restaurant jobs, including the one where I gained the injury, I made the decision to ignore the pain and work through it. Bullheaded and ignorant I was. At those three places, me working like usual, disregarding the cramp pains, ended up resulting in my back completely seizing and I would drop to the floor immobilized. I would be in tears because a mixture of the immense pain as well as the embarrassment. All three places I was heavily ridiculed, sometimes before I managed to even get off the floor. I'm a young chap so my back is supposed to cause me no issue. So managers and employees alike hounded me for my back issues and had no sympathy. I earned the nickname "Grandpa" at those three places because I would be waddling around at the speed of a turtle for several weeks if my back ended up completely cramping.

So I've made it very clear to my current managers at my new place of employment that I won't over exert my back. Once I feel it starting to cramp, I tap out. I've been here for almost two years and my lower back was causing me problems when the bosses had me unloading the semi truck every week when I was new. But I told them I couldn't do that anymore and they took me off of truck and my cramps hasn't been an issue. Had muscle relaxers prescribed to me but haven't restocked this year.

But yesterday all of a sudden at the beginning of my shift my back started cramping really bad. That put me on high alert and I left work to go to the store and buy a back brace, which I find helps. I left early that day regardless and had my manager finish my shift. I was just wary. Once I took my brace off, it cramped up hella and the pain was real. All I can do is make sure I don't make any wrong/sudden movements which will cause my back to cramp completely, putting me out of commission for weeks.

I went to work today but left after an hour on account of my back. Last few times where it's gotten bad but not to where I'm immobilized, I've learned to take it easy for a couple of weeks and the back will eventually loosen up and back to normal.

But now I'm scared. In all my plans, I am always working with the assumption that I will have a back that supports me. What if I can't count on my back? I don't know what I could do. I need a proper back to work in a restaurant. Like, how it is right now, I have to get up from bed/chairs with the utmost care in order not to strain my back / cause pain. I've been immobilized at past jobs before even when I'm taking it relatively slow because I hadn't learnt the hard way yet that twisting my body even a little bit will cause the whole back to cramp.

I can't work jobs in customer service. Got bad social anxiety, I could not handle working with the public non stop all day. I've tried before I am not cut out for it. I've done a couple calls center jobs but those are awful. But I get to sit down all day in a cushioned chair. So maybe that's plan C idk.

I am in the thick of my pain, so I'm tripping out worried that the cramps won't subside in a reasonable amount of time or will happen more frequently. If that becomes the case, I don't think I can work in restaurants.

Christ, does anyone have any advice? All I can think of is to do stretches for my back and get those muscle relaxers prescribed again and hope it helps.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
As a lifelong back sufferer (i have a spina bifida that puts a tremendous strain on my lower spine and musculature i can recommend...

Eat a banana a day.

Really... they contain potassium, magnesium and calcium. All good to help prevent and relieve muscle cramps.

And yes you need to take your muscle relaxers.

And i suggest wearing your back brace whenever you do anything that can strain your back.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Life long back pain, here. Spinal fusion and stuck in a plaster body cast for 9 months.

My suggestion is to learn new skills. If you're interested in staying in the restaurant industry in BOH, look for a job as an expeditor. Depending on the restaurant, you may sometimes have to back up servers, but nothing on par with being a server.

But you need to think long term. Learn bookkeeping and software used in the industry (e.g., POS, food inventory, reservation/table management). Then set out to get more experience and increasingly better gigs where you do admin stuff from booking reservations to buyer, inventory and general management. Eventually, you could find yourself at a posh establishment with a cushy desk in the office BOH.... and the know how to one day have your own restaurant(s).

Think long and hard on finding a way to get a degree in Restaurant Management, that will fast track the above.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As a lifelong back sufferer (i have a spina bifida that puts a tremendous strain on my lower spine and musculature i can recommend...

Eat a banana a day.

Really... they contain potassium, magnesium and calcium. All good to help prevent and relieve muscle cramps.

And yes you need to take your muscle relaxers.

And i suggest wearing your back brace whenever you do anything that can strain your back.
Spot on advice. The only thing I'd be inclined to recommend is an exercise routine to build better muscle tone. (Not saying it would be easy.)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
My plan B all the way through Z has been to work in the restaurant industry somewhere in a back of the house position.

I've given up plan A, (global domination), so I've been commiting to plan B.

I have an old back injury from my first restaurant job. As a result, my lower/mid back will periodically cramp up intensely. Not helping with matters, I experienced a bout of homelessness at the age of 20, which resulted in me carrying a 100lb+ bag over my back/shoulders in the slouched position while hiking up hill. This resulted in the bending of my upper back, causing more issues and pain.

At three of my previous restaurant jobs, including the one where I gained the injury, I made the decision to ignore the pain and work through it. Bullheaded and ignorant I was. At those three places, me working like usual, disregarding the cramp pains, ended up resulting in my back completely seizing and I would drop to the floor immobilized. I would be in tears because a mixture of the immense pain as well as the embarrassment. All three places I was heavily ridiculed, sometimes before I managed to even get off the floor. I'm a young chap so my back is supposed to cause me no issue. So managers and employees alike hounded me for my back issues and had no sympathy. I earned the nickname "Grandpa" at those three places because I would be waddling around at the speed of a turtle for several weeks if my back ended up completely cramping.

So I've made it very clear to my current managers at my new place of employment that I won't over exert my back. Once I feel it starting to cramp, I tap out. I've been here for almost two years and my lower back was causing me problems when the bosses had me unloading the semi truck every week when I was new. But I told them I couldn't do that anymore and they took me off of truck and my cramps hasn't been an issue. Had muscle relaxers prescribed to me but haven't restocked this year.

But yesterday all of a sudden at the beginning of my shift my back started cramping really bad. That put me on high alert and I left work to go to the store and buy a back brace, which I find helps. I left early that day regardless and had my manager finish my shift. I was just wary. Once I took my brace off, it cramped up hella and the pain was real. All I can do is make sure I don't make any wrong/sudden movements which will cause my back to cramp completely, putting me out of commission for weeks.

I went to work today but left after an hour on account of my back. Last few times where it's gotten bad but not to where I'm immobilized, I've learned to take it easy for a couple of weeks and the back will eventually loosen up and back to normal.

But now I'm scared. In all my plans, I am always working with the assumption that I will have a back that supports me. What if I can't count on my back? I don't know what I could do. I need a proper back to work in a restaurant. Like, how it is right now, I have to get up from bed/chairs with the utmost care in order not to strain my back / cause pain. I've been immobilized at past jobs before even when I'm taking it relatively slow because I hadn't learnt the hard way yet that twisting my body even a little bit will cause the whole back to cramp.

I can't work jobs in customer service. Got bad social anxiety, I could not handle working with the public non stop all day. I've tried before I am not cut out for it. I've done a couple calls center jobs but those are awful. But I get to sit down all day in a cushioned chair. So maybe that's plan C idk.

I am in the thick of my pain, so I'm tripping out worried that the cramps won't subside in a reasonable amount of time or will happen more frequently. If that becomes the case, I don't think I can work in restaurants.

Christ, does anyone have any advice? All I can think of is to do stretches for my back and get those muscle relaxers prescribed again and hope it helps.

I hope you find suitable treatment for the back pain and that you have better health after.

I don't know enough about your situation to give specific advice, but have you considered learning skills that would enable you to work a white-collar job? There are so many free and cheap courses online now for pretty much everything ranging from coding and graphic design to languages and marketing.

Unfortunately, I think any manual labor carries the risk of injury and consequently reduced or halted income. It becomes more likely as one gets older, too, so I think it's best to have a long-term plan to avoid that.

One of my friends works as a delivery driver and construction worker. He got injured in an accident (outside and unrelated to work) and has since started saving up money to eventually get a university degree and find work that doesn't cause him as much physical stress. A degree isn't a must for a white-collar job, of course, but if you have any way to pick up some new skills and eventually go in that direction, I think that will be best for the long term.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
@an anarchist while I admire your determination I got to say you're pushing yourself way too hard man.

Put it this way: if you're engaging in activities that cause you this much pain and will no doubt make a chronic health problem even worse, then I think you need to rethink your whole plan.

Why punish yourself? Why hurt yourself? Seriously, I can't think of one good reason.

My suggestion: you've been working for a while so you've paid into social security, and it sounds to me like getting disability benefits would be a slam dunk.

I'm not suggesting you give up and go on the dole permanently, what I'm suggesting is you use this as a way to keep body and soul together while you go to school or go through job training (@Callisto's advice sounds spot-on to me) or even just to take some time to let yourself heal and rethink your game plan.

I know a lot of people with a lot less serious health problems than you have who are drawing disability and with no intention of ever getting off of it.

I think somebody like you who could potentially use it as a lifeboat to take you to your next phase of remaining a productive member of society (which you're obviously determined to do) is the kind of person these programs are really intended for.

Your not helping anybody by hurting yourself.

Watchmen

Premium Member
When you injured your back at work, did you file a worker’s compensation claim?

When you were ridiculed at work for having serious back issues, did you file a disability discrimination/harassment claim? Lawyers can get you paid for unlawful workplace misconduct, which can help you get back in your feet.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
When you injured your back at work, did you file a worker’s compensation claim?

When you were ridiculed at work for having serious back issues, did you file a disability discrimination/harassment claim? Lawyers can get you paid for unlawful workplace misconduct, which can help you get back in your feet.
Oh snap. I thought we were helping @an anarchist manage his pain. I forgot about that free money card. Thanks for this!

Watchmen

Premium Member
Oh snap. I thought we were helping @an anarchist manage his pain. I forgot about that free money card. Thanks for this!
Being compensated for workplace injuries is for the pain and disability resulting from the accident. Money from lawsuits where employers break the law is designed to compensate the victim so they can get back in their feet and made while. It’s literally about helping people get better and most definite not a free money card. So, thanks for your shallow, closed-minded, ignorant response.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't work jobs in customer service. Got bad social anxiety
Try tech support instead. People call you, and they need to talk to you. You don't need a sparkling personality. Start with something simple like supporting TV or blue ray player installation...or anything like that. They call. You ask for information like name and number, serial #, possibly credit card #. If they are in warranty you do this. If they aren't you do that.

Another idea is receptionist at a non profit company. If you are under 30 you can also sign up with organizations that place you at non profit places.

Shaul

Premium Member
Based on what you have written it is clear that working in any job that could further damage your back is not a good option. You must resign yourself that restaurant jobs are not for you. There are many career possibilities. Research and pick a new one. You may need to retrain or be certified for your next career. Don't stay stuck. Move on.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Being compensated for workplace injuries is for the pain and disability resulting from the accident. Money from lawsuits where employers break the law is designed to compensate the victim so they can get back in their feet and made while. It’s literally about helping people get better and most definite not a free money card. So, thanks for your shallow, closed-minded, ignorant response.
Are you okay?

Shaul

Premium Member
Try tech support instead. People call you, and they need to talk to you. You don't need a sparkling personality.
Based on some of my experiences with tech support, I would say their not needing a sparkling personality is a candidate for understatement of the year.