• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Requesting empathy from fellow pet-owners (or anyone, actually)

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
My little dog is scheduled for cataract surgery (both eyes) on Tuesday morning, March 5th. For those who pray, could you please say a little prayer for him? For those who don't pray, warm thoughts are appreciated. He's my baby, and I'm worried.

Many thanks!

P.S. Anyone inclined to post a funny caption to either of the two pictures below of my dog, will certainly cheer me up! (A friend did the artwork awhile back.)

My little guy 1.jpg

My little guy 2.jpg

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
I pray for your little doggy!

Can I ask, how old is he?

I'm not exactly sure how old he is. They think he was about two or three years old when I adopted him from the animal shelter, and I've had him six years now. So I guess that makes him 8 or 9 years old. But he's still very lively, like a puppy. Because he's a small breed, he has a longer anticipated life-span than the larger breed dogs. He's a shih tzu, and their life-span can range up to 16 years or more. The surgery is expensive, but I'm having it done for him because I want him to be able to see clearly again and have the second half of his life to be as good as it can be. He has certainly given a lot to me, and made my life good. He's my buddy.

To everyone here -- thank you for your prayers and well-wishes! Gratefully appreciated!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
My little dog is scheduled for cataract surgery (both eyes) on Tuesday morning, March 5th. For those who pray, could you please say a little prayer for him? For those who don't pray, warm thoughts are appreciated. He's my baby, and I'm worried.

Many thanks!

P.S. Anyone inclined to post a funny caption to either of the two pictures below of my dog, will certainly cheer me up! (A friend did the artwork awhile back.)

View attachment 88772

View attachment 88773

What a cutie.
Cataract surgery is really very simple and safe so there really is no need to worry.
I had one eye done a couple of years ago, local anesthesic, 10 minutes op, and awake the whole time, no pain. I would think though that with a dog they will use a general anesthesic because you have to be very still.
And just think, after the op he'll be able to see his mom as well as he used to.

My little guy 1.jpg

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
My grandma had a dog with cataracts. Got surgery it was successful. If your dog is already an anxious type they may get worse regarding anxiety after the surgery. It's got to be nervewrecking to lose sight then regain it and not know why you lost it in the first place. I'd be anxious too after that. You may find it useful to do what my grandma couldnt and get either treats made for anxiety or anxiety meds if it turns into a long term problem and the dog's anxiety just gets worse and worse. My grandma couldn't cuz of money however so just do what you can.

Edit: the calming antianxiety treats werent enough to treat my grandma's dog so she didn't use them. Couldnt afford meds to help much less behavioral therapy. Some of the more severe cases with anxiety the treats might not be enough. Not saying your dog will get anxiety after surgery just if they already have it it could get worse. Left untreated it could just keep getting worse the anxiety.

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member

Many thanks!

View attachment 88772

View attachment 88773
Prayers and warm thoughts for your cute little friend.

Many thanks!

View attachment 88772

View attachment 88773
Praying for Him, for a full recovery

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Many thanks!

View attachment 88772

View attachment 88773
My thoughts are with you and your cute little furry friend.
Couldn't think of a caption, but do you know why dog's are such bad salsa dancers?

They have 2 left feet

(We had to have our old boy put down a little over a week ago. He was 17 and wasn't comfortable anymore. I know what it's like to have a four-legged family extension!!)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Many thanks!

View attachment 88772

View attachment 88773
"I think it makes me look fat..."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
My boy came through his surgery great! The milkiness is all gone from his eyes and his eyes are clear again -- although a bit swollen and he's squinting a bit right now. But he's not blind now! Woo-hoo!

They had to shave around his eyes for the surgery. I think it makes him look like Hit Monkey.

View attachment 89070
View attachment 89071
Glad things went well Rachel.