• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Remembering past lives. Yes, apparently it's a thing.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The odd part about the supernatural is that, even though no mechanism has been established, people will quickly run to whatever explanation became popular.

So, even if, for example, those people actually remember past lives, that doesn't automatically means it is their past lives.
Precisely, particularly when false memories in people are well documented. Our brains are incapable of possessing that kind of retention.

I'm not aware of people remembering every aspect of their infancy and childhood with any real precision to be said for it.

The brain just creates memories that don't exist when people recollect the distant past that has since degraded and fills in the gaps.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The article focuses on the ongoing research being done in a university setting. A key point from the article is that often there's not enough specificity to do more than indicate "one more" but without the ability to follow up. There are cases where a young child remember sufficient detail so that a researcher can track down the person the child claims to have been and try to validate the data provided.

A few excerpts from that story:

If a child’s recollections are detailed enough to potentially identify a particular individual, DOPS opens an investigation, and the case is entered into the database.
Other times, parents can be too intrigued — which can muddle potential evidence. If parents ask leading questions, or if children learn that certain statements are met with dramatic or enthusiastic responses, it can be difficult to discern whether a child is just trying to please their parents.
Later, when I call Tucker to ask him what he thought of Aija’s story, he says that he found the family’s account compelling that but there was not enough specific detail to continue an investigation. “It basically becomes one more unverified American case,” he says.
she ultimately confirmed many of Ryan’s statements about Marty Martyn, including some she hadn’t realized were correct. She didn’t know that her father had driven a green car, or that he had a younger sister, but it turned out both claims were accurate. Marty Martyn’s death certificate cited his age as 59, but Ryan insisted he had died at 61; Tucker found census records and marriage listings that confirmed this, as did Martyn’s daughter.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Not clicking your link because it looks odd.

However you can answer your own question with the definition of reincarnation
Clicking the link would reveal your requested definition is irrelevant.

The link looks funny because it is to an actual science article.
Not to someone's interpretation of it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Precisely, particularly when false memories in people are well documented. Our brains are incapable of possessing that kind of retention.

I'm not aware of people remembering every aspect of their infancy and childhood with any real precision to be said for it.

The brain just creates memories that don't exist when people recollect the distant past that has since degraded and fills in the gaps.
If you ignore the evidence that in some cases the memories can be validated you are not taking a neutral view.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
What has transgenerational epigenetic kinetics have to do with this thread which has nothing to do with epigenetics.
What do souls have to do with it?

Of course, that was the point.
A claim was made that souls were required.
I asked why and presented an explanation for the phenomena that does not require souls or spirits or god or anything else supernatural, spiritual, etc.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What do souls have to do with it?

Of course, that was the point.
A claim was made that souls were required.
I asked why and presented an explanation for the phenomena that does not require souls or spirits or god or anything else supernatural, spiritual, etc.
There are many documented cases where there is zero family linkage between the young child's memories and the past life. So my point stands that your explanation does not fit the situation at all.

Whether souls are needed is, from a science perspective, a non-falsifiable explanation of the evidence.

We Never Know

No Slack
Clicking the link would reveal your requested definition is irrelevant.

The link looks funny because it is to an actual science article.
Not to someone's interpretation of it.
Ok lol.

Reincarnation:

noun

a: the action of reincarnating : the state of being reincarnated
b: rebirth in new bodies or forms of life

especially : a rebirth of a soul in a new human body

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

noun
  1. the rebirth of a soul in a new body.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I do believe in what many call genetic memory
I've never understood that theory. Are you saying that that the actual hovel, mountain, grandma are stored with details in your gene?

I believe in reincarnation memories myself, but it includes a reincarnating soul.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I've never understood that theory. Are you saying that that the actual hovel, mountain, grandma are stored with details in your gene?

I believe in reincarnation memories myself, but it includes a reincarnating soul.
Here's an interesting article on genetic memory:
Sorry, don't know why it's saying that you're saying it but whatever.

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Previous lives "To Be or not to Be"

Indeed That is the Quest(ion)