• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-sectarian gurus I adore

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Even though it is titled, "I adore", this might be useful info for all!

Off-late I have started feeling a dislike for sectarian-minded gurus.

The real gurus to me, are those full of love for divinity in all its forms.

I have started praying to Sadguru Gnanananda Giri Swamigal who attained samadhi in 1974 and his sishya Swami Haridhas Giri who attained jala-samadhi (water-samadhi) in 1994.

Swami Gnanananda Giri has established a mutt in TamilNadu, called Thapovanam. There he has shrines for the majority Shaivite deities and also for 'Venugopala'.

To me, non-sectarianism breeds true love. Love for all, respect for all, and thus quicker ascension, perhaps.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
1704661409737.png
Swami Gnanananda Giri

1704661452401.png
Swami Haridhas Giri

FYI: Gnanananda Giri swamigal was a ardent-practitioner of Ashtanga yogas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have started praying to Sadguru Gnanananda Giri Swamigal who attained samadhi in 1974 and his sishya Swami Haridhas Giri who attained jala-samadhi (water-samadhi) in 1994.
Viraja, I do not know how will it help you, my homage to your gurus. But you are praying to (dead) Gurus and not to Shiva. If the gurus have said something which you like, then follow it. My gurus are Buddha and Sankara. I respect them whole heartedly but do not pray to them, and keep what they have said in mind. Whether sectarian or non-sectarian is our choice, for example, I liked what Swami Adgadananda said. He was sort of advaitist.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Viraja, I do not know how will it help you, my homage to your gurus. But you are praying to (dead) Gurus and not to Shiva. If the gurus have said something which you like, then follow it. My gurus are Buddha and Sankara. I respect them whole heartedly but do not pray to them, and keep what they have said in mind. Whether sectarian or non-sectarian is our choice, for example, I liked what Swami Adgadananda said. He was sort of advaitist.
Aup,

Swami Gnanananda Giri is well-known in TamilNadu. He is a saint whose biography no one knows. He is said to have lived for 300+ years. He has performed many miracles like appearing in a far off place overnight, reviving the sick without much hope for survival, and so forth. Once I came to know about him that his disciple witnessed him performing ashtanga yoga, having his body parts separated and such. I have a unique need to pray to gurus like him who can grant me a specific yoga/penance-related boon. And thus to Shiva, as Shiva is a foremost yogi.

The siddhas, in popular belief, are eternal. My personal belief is that they are superior to god (of any form), as they have ascended to a saintly status out of sheer toil and thus are capable of bestowing unique, hard-to-get boons.

Besides, the worship is not complete (to any deity), without following a guru.

I respect your sentiment that gurus' advices are to be followed. True that. I try to follow that.

I have tremendous respect for Shankara. He is Shiva-incarnate.

I am curious to know about Swami Adgadananda. Kindly educate me.