• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mondays in Kārthikai

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
For those of you who observe the Tamil Calendar, is there anything that you do on Mondays in Kārthikai for Śiva? I would like to know because the end of Aippasi is near and Kārthikai is arriving soon. I want to do something on Mondays in that month. Thanks.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Boss will be going tomorrow night. I'm not sure if I will. Late evenings seem to wreck my sleeping pattern for a few days. Part of that is early morning sadhana I think.
Does Boss do her sadhana at another time, or is she tougher?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Usually late afternoon for her. She is a night owl, and I'm an extreme morning person. I sleep from 9 to 4, she from 1 to 9, or thereabouts.
I think Boss and I are more on the same page.
Whereas I keep hours very similar hours to @Vinayaka, just rolled back about 20 minutes. Of course "sleep" isn't entirely accurate, but I'm in bed during those hours.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Whereas I keep hours very similar hours to @Vinayaka, just rolled back about 20 minutes. Of course "sleep" isn't entirely accurate, but I'm in bed during those hours.
Yes, I've noticed how early you post on here some days. My evenings can be pretty out of it, and I am more likely to say stupid things then. Have you always been a morningite?

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, I've noticed how early you post on here some days. My evenings can be pretty out of it, and I am more likely to say stupid things then. Have you always been a morningite?
I usually wrap up my morning meditation around 4:40am, make a cup of coffee, and jump on here. I'm usually out by 7:30pm to begin my evening meditation.

I've never been able to sleep late in the mornings. Despite staying out late in my 20s and 30s playing in a band and getting to bed between 4am and 5am, I would still be up with the sun. No matter how dark of blinds or shades I got for my room, I rarely could sleep past sun-up.

Up until a few years ago, I would sleep in until 5am, but I haven't stayed in bed past 4 since then.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I usually wrap up my morning meditation around 4:40am, make a cup of coffee, and jump on here. I'm usually out by 7:30pm to begin my evening meditation.

I've never been able to sleep late in the mornings. Despite staying out late in my 20s and 30s playing in a band and getting to bed between 4am and 5am, I would still be up with the sun. No matter how dark of blinds or shades I got for my room, I rarely could sleep past sun-up.

Up until a few years ago, I would sleep in until 5am, but I haven't stayed in bed past 4 since then.
That is me almost to a tee. I simply cannot sleep in. So if I get home at midnight, I still get up between 4 and 5. But being in a band ... 4am until 6 am sounds not even worth the effort to lie down. Besides that, as I've aged I've found recovery time even longer.

This year for our annual pilgrimage to the Sandwich Islands, we decided to overnight on the coast (SFO) both ways. We have to accommodate more now. The old much cheaper way was to leave here at 3PM, and arrive there at 2AM our time. Then to return was on the red-eye. 11PM their time until noon our time, with a stopover. I'm hoping we can function when arriving both ways much sooner.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
But being in a band ... 4am until 6 am sounds not even worth the effort to lie down.
And I recall debating this with myself. Often on nights I played out, I would have to be at work the next morning. In nights I did lie down and get an hour or two of sleep, I swear I felt worse the next day than I would have had I just stayed up.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been up at 7-8am, which is infinitely early for me. Stress wakes me up, and I can't sleep. I can't say its been pleasant.

I did a 10pm-6am shift when I was younger; I seemed to thrive that way. Fell asleep quickly when I got home, and slept soundly for about 7-8 hours and woke without an alarm. No other schedule's ever treated me so kindly.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been up at 7-8am, which is infinitely early for me. Stress wakes me up, and I can't sleep. I can't say its been pleasant.

I did a 10pm-6am shift when I was younger; I seemed to thrive that way. Fell asleep quickly when I got home, and slept soundly for about 7-8 hours and woke without an alarm. No other schedule's ever treated me so kindly.
That's totally extreme, lol. There seems to be a lot of nature involved. When I worked, I'd leave for home about 10 minutes after the kids were released from their 'prison'. When a parent complained to the principal about that, he suggested she come by at 6:30 in the AM to see which car was in the parking lot. I really disliked staff meetings, not only because they were staff meetings, but I had a hard time staying alert.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's totally extreme, lol. There seems to be a lot of nature involved. When I worked, I'd leave for home about 10 minutes after the kids were released from their 'prison'. When a parent complained to the principal about that, he suggested she come by at 6:30 in the AM to see which car was in the parking lot. I really disliked staff meetings, not only because they were staff meetings, but I had a hard time staying alert.
I always figured teachers were as eager to get out of school as kids were.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
If you were in my class, I'm sure I'd be in a super hurry. In fact, some days I probably wouldn't even come to school.
Well, I did creep out a few of the teachers...

I never understood why. I was a quiet kid with good grades. What's so scary about black dresses?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I did creep out a few of the teachers...

I never understood why. I was a quiet kid with good grades. What's so scary about black dresses?
In nearly 30 years of teaching, I only had one kid creep me out, but he creeped out every teacher he had. His mother may have been even worse.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
At least its likely genetic...
Likely. He was one scary kid.
edited ... but we are WAY off topic. Boss will be off to the somavaram soon. I thought about going, but then I went to the dentist, and still have that icky feeling. My contribution was a fresh coconut for the abhishekham. Have you ever watched a priest use a mini machete to open the end of a raw coconut. It's another amazing skill to observe. Four quick hard whacks with a very sharp object, and a neat 4 sided pouring hole is the result. I'm always amazed at the unusual (for those of us untrained fools) skills of those guys. The coconut hawkers on the side of the road in India are even better at it.

Last edited: