• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men and Women

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, funny how I considered if you would counter with cognitive dissonance and the related problems. Well, but the counter is that you can't teach a human to solve that unless that human is ready for that and if you try to force it, you can cause harm.

Whilst teaching prior to a person being ready for it is likely ineffective, I'm not sure what harm?
Pointing out inconsistencies in how people think through an issue is more effective (in my opinion) than disagreeing with them and pointing out why they're 'wrong'.

Thus it ends back in coping, yes try to better the situation, but always remember it is about the human coping where that human is and is in fact capable of that.

Whilst I both accept and agree that some are not well equipped to either effectively discuss or deal with cognitive dissonance on complex issues in different spheres, that speaks to their capability...not the strength, coherence or impact of their positions.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Whilst teaching prior to a person being ready for it is likely ineffective, I'm not sure what harm?
Pointing out inconsistencies in how people think through an issue is more effective (in my opinion) than disagreeing with them and pointing out why they're 'wrong'.

Whilst I both accept and agree that some are not well equipped to either effectively discuss or deal with cognitive dissonance on complex issues in different spheres, that speaks to their capability...not the strength, coherence or impact of their positions.

Yes, in general you are right for the majority of humans, but since I am a part of the relevant minority for how to cope. I.e. the psychologists/psycharists tried to get me to become coherent and all that. They gave up on that and I learned to cope anyway.
What you see here, is a part of that I am high functioning as crazy, in that I am crazy, but I know that and can in some cases mask it and in others cope to the point that is not a major problem.

So let me be honest as for what triggers me: Apparently neurotypical people who know for all humans what is useful, meaningful, matters, makes sense and so on for how to be a human in this world.
Now you are in effect a good one, becuase you mean good, but as far as I can tell, you still act in some sense as normal. ;)

Yerda

Veteran Member
I think it would be easier to just ask the people whose gender identity is not based on biology to explain what it is based on.
Of course. I was just a bit curious about your thoughts based on your initail answer to the OP. Thanks for sharing and have a good one.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not suggesting that at all. I'm suggesting that our own views on gender and sex should be consistent and coherent, whatever they are. I shouldn't be in one thread decrying gender and sex as meaningless, and in another promoting affirmative action for women, or decrying toxic masculinity, without dealing with the cognitive dissonance that rests in these views.

Whether someone's views agree with me is way less interesting to me than whether their views in one thread agree with their views in another thread.
I agree. There are three parts here.
Physical sex (male, female, trans etc)
Psychological gender ( man, woman, trans, non-binary etc)
Sexual orientation (hetero, homo, a- etc)
All of these matters. What matters in which context and why is the correct question that needs to be asked.