• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is multiculturalism a good or a bad thing ?

Massimo2002

In this century weather we like it or not the world has become more multicultural and connected but I don't think that this is a good thing because too many different races and cultures in a small space creates tension and some of these immigrants don't assimilate into the Broder culture of the host country. But they bring with them more work which boosts the economy which is a good thing.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
In this century weather we like it or not the world has become more multicultural and connected but I don't think that this is a good thing because too many different races and cultures in a small space creates tension and some of these immigrants don't assimilate into the Broder culture of the host country. But they bring with them more work which boosts the economy which is a good thing.

Is multiculturalism a good or a bad thing?

Well, you answered it yourself as a case of relativism. It depends on how someone thinks/feels/believes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think homogeneity as an end goal can be just as destructive as purity as an end goal.

There needs to be a proper balance or harmony as well where cultures and races are dutifully preserved, but not alienated as well.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I think homogeneity as an end goal can be just as destructive as purity as an end goal.

There needs to be a proper balance or harmony as well where cultures and races are dutifully preserved, but not alienated as well.
Could you give an example of a way in which a countries "cultures and races" can be "dutifully preserved" that aren't explicit laws based on either race or culture?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
One should assimilate so there is one culture.
It's not a matter of racism, because there are so many black Cubans or Brazilians that are 100% compatible with the culture of Portugal, Spain or Italy. They aren't even considered foreigners.
It has to do with cultures which aren't compatible with one another.
:)

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

Massimo2002

It's not a matter of racism, because there are so many black Cubans or Brazilians that are 100% compatible with the culture of Portugal, Spain or Italy. They aren't even considered foreigners.
Your view makes sense on the surface but a "racist" would argue against you Buy saying that Europeans are White.

Yerda

Veteran Member
There is a lot made of immigrants who don't "assimilate". No-one makes much of the natives who refuse to "assimilate" to a multicultural society. Yet these tend to be the people causing tensions and resentment.

Personally, I think multiculturalism is overwhelmingly positive.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Your view makes sense on the surface but a "racist" would argue against you Buy saying that Europeans are White.

Elon Musk is from South Africa, right?
He doesn't represent Africanness, because Native Africans are not white.

If we tried to change the ethnic composition of an African country, that would be cultural and ethnic genocide.

Same thing as Europe: if we tried to change the ethnic composition of a European country, it would be genocide.

Massimo2002

Elon Musk is from South Africa, right?
He doesn't represent Africanness, because Native Africans are not white.

If we tried to change the ethnic composition of an African country, that would be cultural and ethnic genocide.

Same thing as Europe: if we tried to change the ethnic composition of a European country, it would be genocide.
Is Europe becoming less White and is Canada or the United States White Countries ?

Massimo2002

There is a lot made of immigrants who don't "assimilate". No-one makes much of the natives who refuse to "assimilate" to a multicultural society. Yet these tend to be the people causing tensions and resentment.

Personally, I think multiculturalism is overwhelmingly positive.
The natives cause problems too at times of course but I just don't like these immigrants or there cultures.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't think multiculturalism is a bad thing, when it simply means different cultures coexisting within the same society. I think the larger problem is multinationalism in a world where the prevailing view is that every nationality and national group must be sovereign, independent, and free. It also doesn't help that we have nearly 200 sovereign nations already.

Here's a story I saw recently:

Chinese people living in the U.S. would not be a problem if both China and America were a single country under a single government. But since they're separate countries which could potentially go to war with each other, then we end up with fears that they could be forming some kind of fifth column that could hurt American security interests.

Another issue is multilingualism. Some might be okay with multiculturalism when it comes to things like food, religion, music, art, etc. - but they draw line at language. There are those who emphasize the importance of a common language and oppose any moves towards bilingualism or multilingualism.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I disagree as I think tolerance and love are admiral attributes that need to be worked on.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not up to date with Portugal news, are you?

Last edited:

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
I love multiculturalism! I'm most definitely a "Happy Holidays" greeter and love to learn about, and celebrate, all the traditions, adding to what I've been introduced to as more come along.

I most recently learned that May 1st, & 3rd are Mexico's versions of the US Labor Day. And Cinco de Mayo is only recognized (and not celebrated) in one Mexican city, Pueblo, where the battle occurred.

I wish more Native American culture had been maintained as many who are trying to revive it are mixing traditions of individual tribes/nations together. But it's great they're trying.