• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I was just fired from my job today.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I endured months of abuse and bullying and ended over fired over it. I'm looking forward to starving to death. I just don't care anymore. You stand up for yourself and end up destroyed.
I'm sorry that you're dealing with this. It sounds horrible.

May I ask how and for what you were bullied?

Finally, I hope you'll forgive me for noting the difference between:
  • I'm looking forward to starving to death. I just don't care anymore. -- and --
  • I'm looking forward to starving to death, because I just don't care anymore.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sorry to hear this, @Saint Frankenstein.

What reason did they give for firing you?
In my department (well, old department), the lead is an abusive bully who really can't stand any of us who work out there, has been acting like a tyrant making up his own rules and threatening us if we don't do what he wants (which he doesn't communicate to us). I know he hates me because I used to be the lead at one time and wrote him up for insubordination years ago, but he won't let it go (it was a manger who told me to write him up, anyway).

So it's been a long back and forth with this *******. But basically he threw out some personal property of mine without even talking to me about it. I questioned him about it and he just keep repeating that I need to talk to a manager for "disciplinary measures", which is bs since I didn't break any rules. So he refused to talk to me or answer my questions. Basically there was an argument and I left. I cannot work with this person at all. It's impossible.

I went to the manager's office to try to talk to one of them but there was no one there and I was extremely upset so I left. The union rep backs that because it's better to leave than for it to escalate to something physical.

So they're saying it's job abandonment, which it really wasn't. Then they said I broke the door to the kiosk by slamming it so it's also destruction of property. I don't even remember slamming the door. (That door has been broken for a long time and it's been slammed by a bunch of people. That lead has also thrown that door into my face before, knowing I was on the other side. It's a steel door.)

The union rep was there and I told him everything. He's going to file a grievance to get my job back but that's no guarantee that the store manager will take me back. I just don't care anymore. Kroger is an evil company and I've suffered for years there. I've torn a ligament and almost committed suicide because of them.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
May I ask how and for what you were bullied
In retail, bullying is rather common, especially in a corporatized setting, which Kroger is increasingly becoming. If someone doesn't like you for whatever reason, they can make your life hell by cozying up to managers and lying about you, turning them against you. There's a lot of cliquishness and it's very juvenile. The managers are often badly trained and there's a lot of corruption that goes on (managers having affairs and outright favoritism, including breaking various OSHA rules, as I've witnessed.)

Basically if you don't suck up to people and actually let it be known that you're not happy with the way things are and complain about it, you're the enemy. They also have no idea how to handle people who have mental health problems and the toxic work environment only makes it worse. They run the stores like you're in grade school and treat you like you're not an adult. That's how corporate environments are.

So since I don't kiss butt and am more honest about things, I tend to have conflicts with some people who want to act like tyrants and get away with it. So I have to resort to the union a lot of the time.

As for the lead I'm talking about, he doesn't like any of us who are in the gas station. He is extremely unprofessional, talking bad about us all behind our backs but saying nothing to our faces. He's extremely inconsiderate of others, constantly coming in late and making other late getting out of there (he's laughed me before because he made me miss my bus). He is making up his own rules as he goes along and blows up when we don't follow his imaginary rules that he never told us about in the first place. I could go on but basically he should be the one to be fired.

PureX

Veteran Member
In retail, bullying is rather common, especially in a corporatized setting, which Kroger is increasingly becoming. If someone doesn't like you for whatever reason, they can make your life hell by cozying up to managers and lying about you, turning them against you. There's a lot of cliquishness and it's very juvenile. The managers are often badly trained and there's a lot of corruption that goes on (managers having affairs and outright favoritism, including breaking various OSHA rules, as I've witnessed.)

Basically if you don't suck up to people and actually let it be known that you're not happy with the way things are and complain about it, you're the enemy. They also have no idea how to handle people who have mental health problems and the toxic work environment only makes it worse. They run the stores like you're in grade school and treat you like you're not an adult. That's how corporate environments are.

So since I don't kiss butt and am more honest about things, I tend to have conflicts with some people who want to act like tyrants and get away with it. So I have to resort to the union a lot of the time.

As for the lead I'm talking about, he doesn't like any of us who are in the gas station. He is extremely unprofessional, talking bad about us all behind our backs but saying nothing to our faces. He's extremely inconsiderate of others, constantly coming in late and making other late getting out of there (he's laughed me before because he made me miss my bus). He is making up his own rules as he goes along and blows up when we don't follow his imaginary rules that he never told us about in the first place. I could go on but basically he should be the one to be fired.
The sad thing is that kind of environment happens because no one cares about anyone else. It's a system running on selfishness and survival. And it'll be that way all the way up the corporate 'food chain'.

I guess the best way to think about it is that thank God you're out of there. And then try to find somewhere that's not so toxic to work.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The sad thing is that kind of environment happens because no one cares about anyone else. It's a system running on selfishness and survival. And it'll be that way all the way up the corporate 'food chain'.

I guess the best way to think about it is that thank God you're out of there. And then try to find somewhere that's not so toxic to work.
Thanks, maybe this is a blessing in disguise. That company has caused me so much pain over the years. I literally almost killed myself over it before. I've seen coworkers be assaulted, as well. :(

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I endured months of abuse and bullying and ended over fired over it. I'm looking forward to starving to death. I just don't care anymore. You stand up for yourself and end up destroyed.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll land yourself a better job in the near future.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am sorry to hear that. I am glad that you have a union rep on your side. That can make a huge difference. It might be enough to make them sit up and notice.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

I feel for you. It's been more than a decade now, but the reality TV show Big Brother, reminded me of that same kind of atmosphere that eventually got me.

I don't know about your situation, but mine was a generation/education force, with a hidden "allowance" that was what hurt so much.

The younger, college educated hires weren't moving up as fast as they liked, and didn't think they needed to pay any dues. It took a couple of years, but almost overnight, those that had moved up from store level after years of dedication and hard work without college degrees, were being targeted. Many had frivolous complaints filed against them, as normal, but they were now being processed.

It started with demotions that set us up for "insubordination" charges. Again, instances that for decades were considered frivolous. I didn't last more than a couple of weeks after I was written up for "non-team player." I took them at their word and decided I didn't want to play, wrote my resignation just before a scheduled vacation, and walked out. I left them with a boat-load of things they had not yet learned how to do and plenty they didn't even know needed to be done.

Within a year, many, many more were "laid-off." All over 50 years old, and some with over thirty years service. And then the world found out why this was allowed. The company was sold and corporate would be shut-down. Those of us who had stock options, 401Ks, great service records, etc., but not necessarily "easily employable" in the current world, were targeted to get us to move on by our own doing before the local work force was inundated with us. It sure would have been nice if they had just told us! Most would have been more than willing to teach/train as needed while working out notices. Instead there were more than a hand-full that followed my lead -- including our Senior VP -- and walked.

And the little-snots, please excuse my bitterness, that complained, didn't learn a thing about following in the footsteps of experience, and ended up unemployed.

All this off-loading to say, take your experience somewhere you'll be appeciated. Something similar happened to my son (different chain) and it was the incentive he needed to get out of retail. He had seen how my being targeted had affected me and it didn't take a lot, though some, convincing that it's not worth the fight. Save your integrity! His organizational skills were welcomed by manufacting, and he's doing well, still standing up for what is right.

Good luck! You're not alone!

Last edited: