• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Happy MahaShivaratri

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
An interesting practice from Trika kashmiri Saivism
Until this, I never noticed the connection between soham and hamsa.

Interesting techniques. I found the practice of connecting the mind to the sound more useful than the hamsa breathing. I'll play around with the hamsa breath in longer sessions. 5 minutes is a bit short to gain any real insight into effectiveness.

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
Happy Mahashivaratri, everyone! This is my first year celebrating.

I'm doing a fruit fast (I am diabetic, so I thought that would be safer than a water fast) and doing puja later this evening. There will also likely be some meditation involved. I may watch some celebrations on YouTube as well.

Hope everyone has a great day!

ajay0

After morning meditation, I used my newly bought radio mantra box with the 'Om Namah Shivaya' mantras for a few hours. Noticed that it creates a certain sattvic ambience in my house after a few hours of chants.

Visited temples and had a partial fruit fast.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
Happy Mahashivaratri for those who celebrate! :heart:

I hope it was a good one.

Today I'll be fasting and likely observing live-stream celebrations.

As an Advaitan and transtheist, why do you observe Mahāśivarātri?

Do you have any plans for today or tonight?

Nope. I had already observed the Javanese/Balinese equivalent, Siwaratri, a couple of months ago.

I spent time during the day cleaning. In the early part of the night, I ordered some milk tea, salt butter bread, and a slice of cake for delivery. Then, I did my daily sādhanā.

After morning meditation, I used my newly bought radio mantra box with the 'Om Namah Shivaya' mantras for a few hours. Noticed that it creates a certain sattvic ambience in my house after a few hours of chants.

I had to look up ‘radio mantra box.’ There is a product on Etsy that looks nice.

Happy Mahashivaratri. Miss the days when the Shivaratri meal was Rice and juicy (Mutton) Koftas. My grandpa changed it for the family. Fast for other adults in the family.

I like it that families have their own customs and observances.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
As an Advaitan and transtheist, why do you observe Mahāśivarātri?
Great question! I've contemplated this question as well as why I find myself connected to Nataraja. And I'm afraid I don't have an answer that satisfies.

My best guess is the connection to the festival and deity lies residually in the causal body.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Great question! I've contemplated this question as well as why I find myself connected to Nataraja. And I'm afraid I don't have an answer that satisfies.

My best guess is the connection to the festival and deity lies residually in the causal body.
The Bhairava Tantras, of which Kashmiri Trika saivism is a part, are non-dualistic. There is no conflict between the path of Siva and non-dualism.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
The Bhairava Tantras, of which Kashmiri Trika saivism is a part, are non-dualistic. There is no conflict between the path of Siva and non-dualism.
Is that the book of 112 practices that Sarvapriyananda was speaking of in the video? I'm certainly interested in reading those. I would have to look back because I didn't catch the name of the book in my initial viewing.

I certainly have a great deal to learn about Kashmiri Trika Saivism, but a couple of things right of that jumped out at me in the video were that Siva is self-aware, acts, and desires. These contradict the teachings of Advaita, and I've spent some time thinking about these.

The primary thoughts right off is that Siva is citanada, that auspicious consciousness-bliss, so how can that consciousness-bliss be aware of itself? Doesn't awareness of introduce duality? Is that self that Siva is aware of an appearance? In other words, I'm aware of my being, but only from the perspective of vyavaharika. In paramartika, there is no "self" for me to be aware of. Secondly, in my understanding, actions generate karma. If Siva is acting, wouldn't karma be generated? Also, desire in this reality leads to suffering. If Siva desires, does Siva suffer? My initial thought on the last two questions would be that these are Maya.

I'm just wondering how Kashmiri Trika Saivism would answer these questions.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is that the book of 112 practices that Sarvapriyananda was speaking of in the video? I'm certainly interested in reading those. I would have to look back because I didn't catch the name of the book in my initial viewing.

I certainly have a great deal to learn about Kashmiri Trika Saivism, but a couple of things right of that jumped out at me in the video were that Siva is self-aware, acts, and desires. These contradict the teachings of Advaita, and I've spent some time thinking about these.

The primary thoughts right off is that Siva is citanada, that auspicious consciousness-bliss, so how can that consciousness-bliss be aware of itself? Doesn't awareness of introduce duality? Is that self that Siva is aware of an appearance? In other words, I'm aware of my being, but only from the perspective of vyavaharika. In paramartika, there is no "self" for me to be aware of. Secondly, in my understanding, actions generate karma. If Siva is acting, wouldn't karma be generated? Also, desire in this reality leads to suffering. If Siva desires, does Siva suffer? My initial thought on the last two questions would be that these are Maya.

I'm just wondering how Kashmiri Trika Saivism would answer these questions.
It is possible to posit that the primal condition of consciousness-bliss and being eternally and fully aware of itself (which also makes it omniscient as there is nothing other than itself and full Self-awareness is the greatest bliss of all). I would also say that it should be a non-conceptual ie. direct and reflexive self-awareness, unmediated by any concept or construct as we usually have. Hence there is no duality between That and the conceptual awareness of That. I find it difficult to make sense of the idea of pure consciousness which, in fact, is conscious of nothing. If one removes all conceptual and external objects, the substratum, imho must be a constant non-conceptual and non-dual self-awareness.
The desire part is more problematic. I am not fully aware of what Kashmiri saivism states, but I think the idea that the absolute has desires cannot be sustained. Desire requires an awareness of a lack, and there is nothing that is lacking.
Activity is easier. The idea of action as play is widely present, and such action incurs no bondage. The idea would be that absolute self-awareness bliss itself generates spontaneous playful activity (like laughter) and the universe-appearance is the byproduct of this bliss created play.