• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Demons

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Please let me mention that I am not a Zoroastrian. I am a hindu. Zoroastrianism and Vedic religion have their origin in the belief of Indo-Iranian Aryans. Originally Asuras (Ahuras in Zoroastrianism) were the Gods of the order of nature and Daevas were the younger Gods in the fashion of Cronus and Zeus. In early Zoroastrianism scriptures as well as well as RigVeda, both Asuras and Devas were venerated. In making Zoroastrianism monotheistic, Zoroaster demonized them (they are considered to be giants) who come out in night and have their reign till sunrise. In somewhat similar but opposite way, Asuras were demonized by later Hindu scriptures and Devas were eulogized. But I have not found mention of demonic possession in information about Zoroastrianism. The Daevas can corrupt humans without demonic possession.

"While it is likely that the daevas were once the "national" gods of pre-Zoroastrian Iran, "no known Iranian dialect attests clearly and certainly the survival of a positive sense for [Old Iranian] *daiva-." This "fundamental fact of Iranian linguistics" is "impossible" to reconcile with the testimony of the Gathas, where the daevas, though rejected, were still evidently gods that continued to have a following.

This essential contradiction has yet to be conclusively explained. Given the fragmentary and discontiguous information in the sources, it is an extremely difficult issue. In general, "rejection of the [daevas] is linked to Zoroaster's reform" and Gershevitch and others following Lommel consider the progression from "national" gods to demons to be attributable to the "genius of Zoroaster."
Daeva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: