• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Career Switching, Starting Over, and Late Starts

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm interested to read the stories of any members here who have switched careers, had to start over in their professional life for any reason, or started their career late in the first place.

What has your career path been like, and how have you worked your way up the professional ladder after starting a career in a given field where your peers in terms of age had a head start on you?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I don't really know what you're looking for but I will tell you my story: I got into banking at age 45 which was a bit older than most. I absolutely LOVED it and did very well in my field. Getting into banking has served me very well. I am retired now, though.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Not my personal story but my good friend who has been a licensed massage therapist for the last 15 years is making the switch to talk therapy. He became interested in counseling since his own was so beneficial, and I think psychology has become a bit of a hyperfixation for him, too.

Plus, it's hard to retire from massage since it's such a physically demanding job. And you still get to be your own boss like we were.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Brother in law started work as a kitchen porter, impressed the head chef who promoted him several times so he eventually became second chef.

Then his world fell apart, his wife left him just as schizophrenia was beginning to take hold of him. He sold his house, gave up his job and went to university to learn game design.

By the time he had earned his 1st he was a raving lunatic (technical term) but he secured a job at am AAA games studio as a junior artist. He's built his experience to work his way up through several studios to eventually became lead artist.

The pressure of work on his illness was definitely not doing him any good. He gave up full time work to take freelance jobs so he could work when he felt well enough.

And that's how he is now.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Got a seat belt?

I started my career in the restaurant industry. Got fired from my first job as a bus boy at a fancy full service restaurant because I refused to do someone else's work.

I moved onto a QSR and was good at what I did. Within 6 months I was promoted to management. I loved the job, but had, months earlier, joined the delayed enlistment program in the USAF.

I liked that as well but decided I marriage would be a good idea (hacks, everyone was doing it). I had a child, divorced, gained sole custody, and was ordered a remote tour to Korea. Refusing to give up my daughter, I received a humanitarian deferment (honorable discharge due to hardship).

My stepfather was a plastering contractor, so upon discharge, since I grew up in the trade, joined the union, and became a journeyman plasterer.

I worked with a 50+ plasterer that was crippled as a result of the trade and shifted my interest back to the QSR industry. I accepted an assistant manager job, and within 4 years, was running my own restaurant.

I left as a result of not seeing eye-to-eye on dress code issues and move to retail management. After two years, I got tired of dusting and went back to construction.

I worked for another union contractor, and started my own plastering and drywall business, and shifted my business to general contracting.

After about 12 years doing this, my daughter fell ill, so the business failed as a result of my choice to focus on my daughter.

After she passed, I reentered the QSR industry, where I advance to an executive management position.

My career led me to an abusive owner, with which affected a burnout on the industry. I ultimately departed and began a "9-5".

With the burden of being responsible comes advancement, and I soon found myself running a logistics company.

I recently went into semi-retirement and am currently recruiting for that logics company.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this is pretty well known, but I was a school teacher by profession (primary teaching), something I studied for 4 years, and then did for 4 years in a couple of different countries, before exiting.
I took a very, very, very junior position with a software company that was launching in Australia (I was the receptionist, although we were small enough I could get involved in a few things) and worked by way up, at one stage taking a big leap by moving to New Zealand on about a week's notice, and getting some projects across the line over there. After about 5 years, I was senior consulting/project managing there, which is quite the weird career progression.

Moved to another software company, same industry (sideways moved) and stayed for 8 years, leaving as a solution architect. Worked for myself for 3 years, with the main gig being program directing a global software rollout in the construction industry.

Then...went back where I started, but as a state manager/solution architect. Kinda weird to have started somewhere as receptionist and ended up state manager, but anyway.
I'm now working as state manager at a systems implementation partner, rather than software vendor.
(We configure, we don't write the software)

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I started as a reporter at a newspaper just out of college (six year plan). After 5 years, I moved to become a public information officer at a state agency where I was for just over 14 years, when a corrupt new governor decided that he needed my position to reward political contributors and other cronies...you may have heard of him...Rod Blagojevich? Eventually appeared with Trump on The Apprentice, was later convicted of various federal crimes and spent some time in prison, before having his sentence commuted by Trump.

Anyway, lateral move was not possible, as all available positions were being held for his friends and contributors, and despite good qualifications I got no offers of consequential employment. After six months, one of my professors from the master's program suggested that I apply for a research assistant post in the doctoral program at the local university. For some reason, they doubled over to get me into the program, so I was employed to go work on my doctorate. I also held odd jobs and completed my doctorate in just over five years.

I was then hired to teach at a university, which I did until 2016, when the advent of early-onset dementia put an end to my career. I went on disability, and have been officially retired for three years now.

I doubt that any of this is helpful...

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I started as a reporter at a newspaper just out of college (six year plan). After 5 years, I moved to become a public information officer at a state agency where I was for just over 14 years, when a corrupt new governor decided that he needed my position to reward political contributors and other cronies...you may have heard of him...Rod Blagojevich? Eventually appeared with Trump on The Apprentice, was later convicted of various federal crimes and spent some time in prison, before having his sentence commuted by Trump.

Anyway, lateral move was not possible, as all available positions were being held for his friends and contributors, and despite good qualifications I got no offers of consequential employment. After six months, one of my professors from the master's program suggested that I apply for a research assistant post in the doctoral program at the local university. For some reason, they doubled over to get me into the program, so I was employed to go work on my doctorate. I also held odd jobs and completed my doctorate in just over five years.

I was then hired to teach at a university, which I did until 2016, when the advent of early-onset dementia put an end to my career. I went on disability, and have been officially retired for three years now.

I doubt that any of this is helpful...
What was the doctorate in?

How are you coping with the dementia?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
What was the doctorate in?

How are you coping with the dementia?
Doctor of Public Public Administration...I could diagnose and treat poorly function public and nonprofit organizations...

Mostly it seems to have stabilized, although some days are better than others, and I forget and misremember frequently. But fortunately, I'm a mostly cheerful person so I'm not a big pain to be around...I hang around here because it's something I don't have to be 100 percent on all the time, and if I re-read a thread, no biggie...

idea

Question Everything
I'm interested to read the stories of any members here who have switched careers, had to start over in their professional life for any reason, or started their career late in the first place.

What has your career path been like, and how have you worked your way up the professional ladder after starting a career in a given field where your peers in terms of age had a head start on you?

Stay at home mom, to neat career now (professor). I resurrected my old college degree after not using it for 15ish years. Started part time as an adjunct, now I run my department.

A lot of women start their careers when their kids leave for college.

Quite a few of my current students are in the midst of switching careers.

The new norm is switching jobs - it seems to be a bargaining chip, always looking for the next gig.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Started off as an engineer designing products
in aircraft, medical, heavy truck, & processing
machinery industries.
I made the mistake of switching to real estate
investing. It wasn't nearly as much fun.
Now I buy, move, donate, set up, & exhibit
historical machinery at museums. It's a poor
business model (negative cash flow), but it's
back to the fun again.
Oh, I still do a little real estate investing.
Mostly passive.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Mostly it seems to have stabilized, although some days are better than others, and I forget and misremember frequently. But fortunately, I'm a mostly cheerful person so I'm not a big pain to be around...I hang around here because it's something I don't have to be 100 percent on all the time, and if I re-read a thread, no biggie...
That's great to hear. My mother had dementia and that ultimately led me to doing voluntary work in a centre for people living with dementia. I was surprised at how differently it manifested itself.

Audie

Veteran Member
Brother in law started work as a kitchen porter, impressed the head chef who promoted him several times so he eventually became second chef.

Then his world fell apart, his wife left him just as schizophrenia was beginning to take hold of him. He sold his house, gave up his job and went to university to learn game design.

By the time he had earned his 1st he was a raving lunatic (technical term) but he secured a job at am AAA games studio as a junior artist. He's built his experience to work his way up through several studios to eventually became lead artist.

The pressure of work on his illness was definitely not doing him any good. He gave up full time work to take freelance jobs so he could work when he felt well enough.

And that's how he is now.
And look at you or me. No career at all,
and doing just fine.
(Doesn't mean never did any work)

Audie

Veteran Member
Started off as an engineer designing products
in aircraft, medical, heavy truck, & processing
machinery industries.
I made the mistake of switching to real estate
investing. It wasn't nearly as much fun.
Now I buy, move, donate, set up, & exhibit
historical machinery at museums. It's a poor
business model (negative cash flow), but it's
back to the fun again.
Oh, I still do a little real estate investing.
Mostly passive.
Its ok. My income is " passive".

Whatever I do costs me money too.

On machinery btw...on a x country road trip
there was a side trip s of Omaha Nebraska to
the weirdest farm ever.

Dozens and dozens of old farm machines
of so many sorts, lined up, rusting away.
Some newish, some with trees coming up throuh
them.
I had no luck figuring it out.
Guess what the plan was.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
That's great to hear. My mother had dementia and that ultimately led me to doing voluntary work in a centre for people living with dementia. I was surprised at how differently it manifested itself.
About the same time, or maybe a little before, a good friend had a stroke...vascular dementia...every day for him was a battle just to stay still, and every day he lost a little ground. Then he had another stroke...and it progressed faster...I don't look forward to going through what he went through...but at the same time, my mother died two years ago and had been suffering from dementia (don't know the type) for years...but dad was always there to keep her okay. She loved to hear people tell stories of what the family had done, where we had gone. She didn't remember any of it, but loved hearing the stories just the same. Or as she said, "I remember that there were times like that, but I don't really remember any of it." She finally died of a heart attack...

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member

My sister switched careers

She started off teaching in a university

She then went abroad to teach English to foreigners

And now she's a software engineer for a big tech company (I don't understand what her job entails)

She got her first software job after teaching herself code in her spare time, in her mid-30s

She's very clever, good at languages too

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Its ok. My income is " passive".

Whatever I do costs me money too.

On machinery btw...on a x country road trip
there was a side trip s of Omaha Nebraska to
the weirdest farm ever.

Dozens and dozens of old farm machines
of so many sorts, lined up, rusting away.
Some newish, some with trees coming up throuh
them.
I had no luck figuring it out.
Guess what the plan was.
"Yard art"
I've rescued some of that, eg, a 1875ish steam
engine made by GW Davis. Bad condition, but
a wonderful machine. Quite rare....I know of
only 2. Sold it to a friend. The Ford Museum
has another.

Audie

Veteran Member