• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being Remembered

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Does anybody here remember William Rowan Hamilton?

To this day, every year, mathematicians from all over the world make a pilgrimage to Dublin, and visit the bridge where one of the most famous acts of mathematical vandalism and graffiti in the history of the known universe occurred.

William Rowan Hamilton (Science YouTuber Collab) | A Capella Science​

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
When I was young, I wanted to be a successful writer, a successful scientist...and while I have had success, the main lesson of this life seems to be how to positively affect others without becoming well-known in the general population...without achieving the 'success' as a writer and scientist that I sought when young...and I'm okay with that.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
When my younger brother died, it really came home to me (I had thought it before but it really rang true after he died) that he was a very stoic man, and that if I didn't tell his kids my memories of him, those memories would die when I did. It became very important to me to share my memories of my brother with his kids.

I have one "memory" of my grandmother's mother, because she shared it with me, and it is precious to me. In this memory of my great grandmother, she is walking to the fields to feed the men who are working in the fields, and she has two buckets over each arm filled with food, and she is barefoot and reading all the way there and all the way back (about an hour in total) because she knows the trail very well, and because that's her only time to read. I love that my grandmother shared that memory with me, so that I can carry it on! I have shared it with my kids too. We'll see what happens. But meanwhile back to the OP's question.

It's not that important to me that I am remembered other than by my kids. Other people, I don't care and I am pretty sure I won't care then either! I think my grandkids already consider me to have one foot in the grave because I have silvery hair! LOL

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess to be remembered, one has to be selected for the Hall of Fame.

hall-of-fame-card-229.jpg

feline-hall-of-fame-card-117.jpg

fposter,medium,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

idea

Question Everything
How important is it for you to be remembered?

Is it important to you that you have left a lasting impression on another person so that you will be thought of after your death? Why or why not?

I was thinking of family traditions. My oldest is graduating, has settled in with partner (LGBTQ), their family at first seemed foreign, so different from the generations who came before... but then something happened, staying in their cute home visiting, I oversaw them fussing over folding towels - silly little thing, my kiddo was insisting on the "correct" way to fold towels - looking on, I saw it, generations of those in my family folding towels this way - and then so many other things sprang into view, mannerisms, sayings, recipes - it was all there. No specific name, just all of us, all the traditions, all mixed together.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Mostly I hope they remember feelings of me, and that they are positive. . .funny would work. I'd like to think that family would have a few good memories.

I wrote this a few months ago:

How I Remember
I remember:
shelling corn on the back porch
with the old mule standing
on the other side of the fence
between his salt block and her flowers.

I remember:
the little t-shaped old house
had rooms of mystery shut off
from the sitting room, well known,
and the dark, dank kitchen behind.

I remember:
wooden rocking chairs sitting by
the old wood burning stove,
and a cot piled up high with quilts,
floral curtains, and a ratty screendoor.

I remember:
a soot-stained old brick fireplace
next to black iron pots and pans,
a handpump with enamel pan,
and always Oreos on the mantle.

I remember:
big old safety pins on a worn apron bib,
and small print fabric made into
sleeveless shifts worn below the knee.
And a sweater over all when cool.

I remember:
hair pulled back and pinned in a bun
old fashioned even then,
and the sweet smell of a day's hard work
mixed with feminine talcum powder.

I remember:
a small woman who seemed old at 40,
and other than the hairs of her head
not a single change to be noted
in the next 30 years.

I remember:
Great-aunt Julia fondly as comfort, love,
simplicity, and grace, and as my years
add up, if my greats remember me as "old"
in the same way, I will be blessed.

RestlessSoul

Seven years ago, an old friend died. I think about him often, more often than I did when he was alive. He has children and grandchildren to remember him, he doesn’t need me to do it. But I do remember him, fondly for the most part, though God knows he could be infuriating to all who knew and loved him.

I expect he’s telling God his ideas for improving creation; whilst not quite getting round to renovating an ancient Triumph GT6.