• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and humanism

Awesome. I know most humanists appear to be atheists, agnostics and non-believers. However, obviously, not all atheists and general non-believers share the worldview of humanism.

No.

I don't think humans are particularly rational, so tend to find philosophies that presuppose human rationality to be a bit ludicrous.

Any attempt to define (Secular) Humanism tends to just be a collection of pretty nondescript platitudes anyway.

Other than that, it's basically just a watered down evolution of liberal Protestantism, or at least the heir of a watered down evolution of liberal Protestantism.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Weirdly, this somewhat aligns me with @Revoltingest at a macro level.

omg.jpg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
No.

I don't think humans are particularly rational, so tend to find philosophies that presuppose human rationality to be a bit ludicrous.

Any attempt to define (Secular) Humanism tends to just be a collection of pretty nondescript platitudes anyway.
Likewise. From Wiki: "human beings, whom it considers the starting point for serious moral and philosophical inquiry" is to my mind an example of speciesism which I entirely reject.

Those are two different rationales. "Humanism," or "Secular Humanism," is a stance on the treatment of others, and a basis of values based around human prosperity and equality.
The rationale of how a humanist or atheist considers evidence to come to a conclusion on the basis of what they believe is irrelevant to be a believer of humanism, though most are non-believers or non-religious.