• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Teacher Assistant that was beaten unconscious doesn't agree to lessening charges for her assailant

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The point I am making, is that when you post your truisms, it comes across as a generalization. That all poor people are Bob. When most are Carol.
Except your point is in your head when the fact is it was never stated that all the poor do this.
In fact, financial position was never even mentioned.
You jumped there on your own.

All that was said is "don't buy your wants and beg for your needs".
Which applies to all, not just the poor.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would change the way schools are financed, in the USA, for one. I think they should be centrally funded from state and or federal funds, not from the local area, as I believe they are currently. That seems to me to be a big issue. I would expect a lot of variation in the quality of educational services, within such a system. However I am British so, things are different here. Our education system, is directly funded by central government. From the treasury.
Similar here (Australia) where states fund schools. Schools in disadvantaged areas basically receive more funding rather than less, in broad terms.

The American funding model looks far from ideal, from this vantage point.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You said something different....
"Their existence is an insult to those living in the gutter, a subject for another thread, of course."

To say it "is an insult" means more than just their inference.
That is a claim of actuality.

The wealthy having less money doesn't
mean that the poor will have more.
And to the poor, I recommend....
- Earn more.
- Cut expenses where possible.
- Don't have more kids than you can support.
- Find government assistance.
- Avoid fast food.

I base the above on employees I've had over
the years. Some were poor, & avoidably so.
Spending money on dope, tatoos, pets, booze,
bail money, McDonalds, etc saps one's budget.
Also, stealing from one's employer is a sure
fire way to reduce income.

This is indeed good advice, but it implies that laziness and poor cash management are the primary causes or contributing factors of poverty. There are people who work two jobs just to scrape by, and you have others who were financially destroyed by medical bills or other unforeseen expenses. In some cases like homelessness, mental illness has a lot to do with it. Also, the cost of living is out pacing wages.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is indeed good advice, but it implies that laziness and poor cash management are the primary causes or contributing factors of poverty.
Just read what I post, & take it as is without
adding straw to make objection easier.
I've held forth on providing assistance when
personal effort fails. You ignored that.

Little Dragon

The natural world is beautiful, and I feel we cause a lot of problems for ourselves trying to mindlessly fight against it.

(Like with PS5s, and classrooms that are far removed from nature.)
The more removed from the natural world we become, the more we hang ourselves. The more we lose our place in the natural order. The more we become disconnected from reality. Which is why the natural world. not this artificial world of symbols and abstracts. Is the world I long to return to.