• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Friend's Surprise Bible Study

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
A good friend of mine who I work with was confiding in me about an experience she had the other day. She was hanging out with her best friend and they went to get a bite to eat. Instead of actually doing that, she took her to a Bible study instead. Surprise!

Now my friend is Catholic and though she is a god believer and a Christian, she isn't super religious. Her best friend, on the other hand, is very religious and Evangelical (or at least, I assume so). So now she's sitting with a bunch of people in this Bible study, she wants to get into it because she's a Christian and loves God and her friend, but then they start saying weird stuff

Lots of anti-woke things. Lots of anti-gay things. Offhanded remarks about mentally ill people with blue hair that need to be restrained and put into west hall (in the hospital where I work, this is where we put combative patients who need to be restrained). While initially excited to dig into the Bible, she was put off by all the political injection and judgemental attitudes. My friend has a focus more on Jesus as a loving and selfless individual. She's not very judgemental at all. Judge not lest ye be judged and all

She knows that I'm big into religion, so she wanted to hear my thoughts. What do I say to that, though?... I don't want to demonize her friend for surprising her with the Bible study as I feel it's not my place. Her friend is an amazing friend who has been there for her through some of the worst experiences in her life. She did give the impression that she wasn't happy with the outcome of the ambush Bible study, though

I tried to convey the point that Christianity has many different ideas and focuses on God, and while it's unfortunate that the Bible study had been a souring experience, it didn't need to influence her own ideas of Christianity in a negative way. Her walk is her walk

Kinda sucks, though. Wish I was better at conveying my thoughts to speech. Maybe she just needed a friend to talk to, though

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Rather than ...
... Christianity has many different ideas and focuses on God, ...
Perhaps:

While I'm sure that your friend meant well, I want you to know that those views have nothing to do with my understanding of Christianity and, in fact, I find them to be despicable.​

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Rather than ...

Perhaps:

While I'm sure that your friend meant well, I want you to know that those views have nothing to do with my understanding of Christianity and, in fact, I find them to be despicable.​

That's insightful, thank you