• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“God” as part of some analogies, and as some characters in some stories

Jim

Nets of Wonder
This time, for a change, I really am looking for a debate, only I’m not sure there will be anything to debate about, because I’m just describing what I do, and not making any truth claims about it.

I make analogies between the universe with us in it, and human creations, like works of the arts and crafts, or a garden park. In those analogies, I call the creator(s) “God.” I don’t see any way for anything to exist or be real, and be the creator of the universe, at the same time. I have a feeling that there’s something real corresponding to the God(s) in my analogies, but whenever I’ve tried to understand what it could possibly mean to say that He exists or is real, I got hopelessly lost, so I don’t try any more. I’m not saying that He does not exist. I’m not even saying that it doesn’t matter if He exists or not. I’ve just given up trying to understand what the question is, if it actually is a question, which is an open question for me. :smiley:

(edited to add the following)
After I started this thread, I started thinking that “God” as part of some analogies doesn’t fully describe how I use that word. More importantly to me, I also use it in reading, thinking and talking about some religious stories and scriptures that I think help bring out the best possibilities in people, in society, and in the world around us. In those stories, some of the characters are sometimes called “God.” There might be some good possibilities for debate in that.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bad analogy, IMHO. No need to get into that and confuse yourself or any other. Because when there is God, there are souls (only in humans). And when there are souls - good and bad - there is heaven and hell. And when there is heaven and hell, there is a prophet / son / messenger / manifestation / mahdi to get saved. And when these are there, then there are religions. And when there are religions, then there are scriptures / priests / clerics /pundits. And when there are religions there are conflicts. One wrong step and you open a Pandora's box.

Therefore, say what you want to say without using baaad analogies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God is an exclamation of expression that emphasizes everything we don't know and everything we wish would happen. Thus, Oh, God! Is said. I even fall into this expression.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don’t see any way for anything to exist or be real, and be the creator of the universe, at the same time.

I would see that is sound reasoning.

I see reality is the product of spiritual attributes, given in a perfect balance.

It Is the sun that gives us life, but the attributes of the sun have to be given in a perfect balance, for this life to exist. With this given balance, we exist, we are subjected to this reality, see this reality, but in the end are not bound to it, there are realities beyond this existance.

I support your reasoning, Creation is not God, nor does God descend into creation, thus I too can have no perception of what is God, except what God has shown us is the Self of God in our reality. I see we have life from that Self of God, but that Self of God is also created.

With the aid of that Self of God, we can perceive and internally see things not bound to this reality. As such I see Death is a transition in reality, and upon death I wonder what we will see the material sun, this material world and the spiritual Self of God as?

Regards Tony

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Bad analogy, IMHO. No need to get into that and confuse yourself or any other. Because when there is God, there are souls (only in humans). And when there are souls - good and bad - there is heaven and hell. And when there is heaven and hell, there is a prophet / son / messenger / manifestation / mahdi to get saved. And when these are there, then there are religions. And when there are religions, then there are scriptures / priests / clerics /pundits. And when there are religions there are conflicts. One wrong step and you open a Pandora's box.
I think I actually agree with the point you’re making. Using the word “God” the way I do could appear to be endorsing some harmful attitudes and behavior, and it might even actually help perpetuate them. For me, that doesn’t mean that I should stop using that word in the ways that I do. It does mean that I should think about how to help reduce and counteract its harmful effects.
Therefore, say what you want to say without using baaad analogies.
I do that with people when they aren’t using the same analogies in the same ways.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, it is your right to use whatever analogies that appeal to you and mine to warn against the pit-falls of such a use. :D

Reactions: Jim