• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrians

Ellen Brown

I was searching for a thread that I saw yesterday about the suitability of Music and Movies. Yikes is there an Amish poster here? Never did find the post.

Then, in my wandering I stumbled upon a section about Zoroastrianism, of which I have questions, but can find no way to reply to any post there, or start a new one. The post I was reading DID mention the idea that some folk think that Zoroastrianism is the precursor to Judaism. Of course it is likely that any available Jews will either remain silent or accuse me of antisemitism. Gosh, I just can't win can I?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I was searching for a thread that I saw yesterday about the suitability of Music and Movies. Yikes is there an Amish poster here? Never did find the post.

Then, in my wandering I stumbled upon a section about Zoroastrianism, of which I have questions, but can find no way to reply to any post there, or start a new one. The post I was reading DID mention the idea that some folk think that Zoroastrianism is the precursor to Judaism. Of course it is likely that any available Jews will either remain silent or accuse me of antisemitism. Gosh, I just can't win can I?

Zoroaster would not a precursor to Judaism. It would be an independent Manifestation of God all its own

In the Baha'i Faith Zarathustra was a manifestation of God that Revealed Monotheism to the Polytheistic beliefs of ancient Persia, Many Persian Baha'is are descendents of Zoroastrians.

Truth is best (of all that is) good. As desired, what is being desired is truth

Doing good to others is not a duty. It is a joy, for it increases your own

With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. Consider the most enlightened thoughts. Then choose your path, person by person, each for oneself.

Zoroaster

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
To begin with, Persian civilization is Indo-European, linguistically and culturally.

Zoroastrianism imposes itself when the Persian Empire reached its peak (V cent. BC), while Judaism is far more ancient.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
To begin with, Persian civilization is Indo-European, linguistically and culturally.

Zoroastrianism imposes itself when the Persian Empire reached its peak (V cent. BC), while Judaism is far more ancient.

The known scripture of Judaism is not that ancient, It only dates from ~700 BCE. Like all cultures including the Persians, the oral traditions date much older. In reality the written traditions and stories are much older in the Babylonian, Sumerian and Persian histories. and to a certain extent the Hebrews derived their writings from these more ancient writings..

Ellen Brown

The known scripture of Judaism is not that ancient, It only dates from ~700 BCE. Like all cultures including the Persians, the oral traditions date much older. In reality the written traditions and stories are much older in the Babylonian, Sumerian and Persian histories. and to a certain extent the Hebrews derived their writings from these more ancient writings..

I suspicion that belief in a Creator/Creators could be 1-200,000 years, and that there is just lots that we do not think existed because we don't know anything about it, or practice denial of what we do know.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I suspicion that belief in a Creator/Creators could be 1-200,000 years, and that there is just lots that we do not think existed because we don't know anything about it, or practice denial of what we do know.

The Baha'i Faith shares this belief, actually likely older. Cycles of Revelation and evolution both physical and spiritual are as old as humans have been human.

Ellen Brown

The Baha'i Faith shares this belief, actually likely older. Cycles of Revelation and evolution both physical and spiritual are as old as humans have been human.

I first started with Christianity in 1974, and it made me a better person. However, there was always a question about so many things, and they would try to put me off by saying things were forbidden. That's why I have distanced myself from the dogma of common belief. It is clear to me that the Creator, or higher being has been making appearances for a very long time.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Zoroaster would not a precursor to Judaism. It would be an independent Manifestation of God all its own

In the Baha'i Faith Zarathustra was a manifestation of God that Revealed Monotheism to the Polytheistic beliefs of ancient Persia, Many Persian Baha'is are descendents of Zoroastrians.

Truth is best (of all that is) good. As desired, what is being desired is truth

Doing good to others is not a duty. It is a joy, for it increases your own

With an open mind, seek and listen to all the highest ideals. Consider the most enlightened thoughts. Then choose your path, person by person, each for oneself.

Zoroaster

How do Baha’i define manifestation of God? Sounds like anthromorphism

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Zoroastrianism isn't an Abrahamic faith. This is in the wrong section. It ought to be in the Zoroastrianism / Other Revealed Religions DIR. And yes, their god is Ahuramazda / Ormazd.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
..., in my wandering I stumbled upon a section about Zoroastrianism, of which I have questions, but can find no way to reply to any post there, or start a new one. The post I was reading DID mention the idea that some folk think that Zoroastrianism is the precursor to Judaism.
Some folks think all manner of nonsense. I would be very interested in reading any scholarship that makes such an argument.
Of course it is likely that any available Jews will either remain silent or accuse me of antisemitism. Gosh, I just can't win can I?
Whine less ... :rolleyes:

Ellen Brown

Zoroastrianism isn't an Abrahamic faith. This is in the wrong section. It ought to be in the Zoroastrianism / Other Revealed Religions DIR. And yes, their god is Ahuramazda / Ormazd.

So, not the same G_d then? I would not know how to move it.

I am tempted to think that from the 10 Commandments, the G_d there would be the supreme being? I'm attempting to construct a premise that would show an increasingly intimate relationship with Homo Sapiens starting 1-200,000 years ago, and that perhaps the Yazidizi predated them? Or Perhaps Yahweh just showed up around 3500 BC, took over and kicked all the other Gods out?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How do Baha’i define manifestation of God? Sounds like anthromorphism

No the Christian view of Jesus Christ being God incarnate God or Son of God is anthropomorphism. Many believe God the Father is a God in human. The Baha'i Faith believes that the Manifestation is the bearer of the Revelation of God, but remains human like everyone else. In the Baha'i view God is and apophatic 'Source' some call God(s), and not definable from the human perspective.

Ellen Brown

No the Christian view of Jesus Christ being God incarnate God or Son of God is anthropomorphism. Many believe God the Father is a God in human. The Baha'i Faith believes that the Manifestation is the bearer of the Revelation of God, but remains human like everyone else. In the Baha'i view God is and apophatic 'Source' some call God(s), and not definable from the human perspective.

Is there a religion that just says, "we don't know" to questions like that?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

Names of God are not God, Just as there are different names in different languages. and as there are a number of different names of God in the Hebrew texts, some related to older Canaanite and Ugarit names of God(s).

From the Baha'i perspective there is no such distinction between Abrahamic religions and other religions Revealed from God. Revelation is universal with humanity. As a Noahide you would not accept other Revelations whether they were Abrahamic or not.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Is there a religion that just says, "we don't know" to questions like that?
The Baha'is do not claim to 'know,' we claim to believe. Knowledge is progressive and relative, whether the knowledge of science or the spiritual knowledge Revealed by God. Fallible human knowledge will always be with a degree of uncertainty.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No, not the same god at all. You cannot move it; you'll need to ask a satffmember.

Considering the intimate association of Babylonian, Sumerian texts and Zoroastrianism, as a Monotheistic religion, during the exile the consideration of whether Zoroastrianism is an Abrahamic religion or worshiping the same God could not be determined by a subjective assertion by you.