• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrianism & homosexuality

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Since there are a few query threads in other religions' DIRs it made me want to ask: what is the Zoroastrian perspective on same-sex intimacy, relationships & marriage? I've looked around a bit and have not been able to find any information on the subject.

So I decided to get a more personal perspective as I suspect there might be a varying degree of opinion on the subject from the Zoroastrians on this board.

How does your religion view or treat intimacy, relationships and marriage between members of the same sex? Does your opinion on the subject differ from your religion's teachings? Are there verses in the Avesta or Gathas on the subject? Do they support your view or contradict it?

MD

qualiaphile
There's nothing in the Gathas which speaks against Zoroastrianism, which are the revelations of Zoroaster. The 'corruption of the natural order' part is found in the Vendidad, which is basically the ancient priestly interpretation of the Gathas.

Most modern Zoroastrians don't care and are pretty okay with it. There are some reservations with the older generations, but that is based more on cultural than religious reasons. And they all love Freddie Mercury.

The Emperor of Mankind

There's nothing in the Gathas which speaks against Zoroastrianism, which are the revelations of Zoroaster. The 'corruption of the natural order' part is found in the Vendidad, which is basically the ancient priestly interpretation of the Gathas.

Most modern Zoroastrians don't care and are pretty okay with it. There are some reservations with the older generations, but that is based more on cultural than religious reasons. And they all love Freddie Mercury.

Cool, thanks. Is the Venidad part of normal Zoroastrian scripture? How do you feel about the subject? Is it something you've given a lot of thought?

MD

qualiaphile
Cool, thanks. Is the Venidad part of normal Zoroastrian scripture? How do you feel about the subject? Is it something you've given a lot of thought?

In some ways it's similar to the Quran/Hadith/Sunna problem. The Vendidad is the ecclesiastical code, and it dictates the social customs and laws, rather than an actual liturgical manual. Meaning it was written by the clergy and is part of the greater Avesta. It's not even a part of the main Avesta.

As a reformist, I focus on the Gathas. The Parsis focus more on the Vendidad and other Avesta texts, as the priests in India wield a lot of the power with regards to religious decrees. This is one of the reasons why they don't allow conversions.

How do I feel? I could care less what sexual orientation a person has, as long as they live a life of goodness and decency. I think all humans value that. To be honest I haven't given it a lot of thought because I was never taught that homosexuality is wrong, at most the worst I heard is that it's an eccentricity, but nothing that warrants condemnation, death or eternal damnation as in other faiths. It is as natural as heterosexuality to me and the vast majority of Zoroastrians.

The Emperor of Mankind

What about the other Zoroastrians here? I know Rival's position on the issue but are there any others? I think there's maybe between 2-4 Zoroastrians on RF?

MD

qualiaphile
What about the other Zoroastrians here? I know Rival's position on the issue but are there any others? I think there's maybe between 2-4 Zoroastrians on RF?

There's Inquisitive Scholar (an American convert) and there was El-Majusi (a European convert who hasn't been on RF for years). I'm sure they both hold the same position as mine.

Zoroastrianism places a LOT of emphasis on truth, or truth as far as we can tell. It is an undeniable truth that homosexuality is natural and normal, and as such I find it hard to hate anyone based on their sexual orientation. To me that is rather nonsensical.

The Emperor of Mankind

There's Inquisitive Scholar (an American convert) and there was El-Majusi (a European convert who hasn't been on RF for years). I'm sure they both hold the same position as mine.

Zoroastrianism places a LOT of emphasis on truth, or truth as far as we can tell. It is an undeniable truth that homosexuality is natural and normal, and as such I find it hard to hate anyone based on their sexual orientation. To me that is rather nonsensical.

Well hopefully they show up eventually and give us their opinions too. :)