• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrian sects

El_Majusi

A lot of course. So many that to quote them would be useless.
But even though, Zoroastrianism is united and only one faith.
Today such groups exist: -modernists, -gatha only, -conservative irani, -conservative parsi, -orthodox, etc. You have Qadimi observance, Parsi observance...

El_Majusi

It depends on which. Most are both. But, even though, all Zoroastrians who consider Zarathushtra as their prophet and the Avesta as their book are linked to each other by the same religion, even if they somehow differ theologically.

InquisitiveScholar

Wanting to learn it all..
This question is focused toward you El Majusi. Do you know of any books that teach about Zoroastrianism, and if so, where might I find them. I am always inquisitive and I have a deep seeded need to learn about as much as possible so if you could would you help me out. Thank you in advance.

El_Majusi

@K. Venugopal: by both.
@Inquisitive Scholar: there are a lot of books. I advise you to begin by reading the Gathas in the D.J. Irani translation: http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/gatha/dji/The Gathas - DJI.pdf
If you are willing to buy one, I advise you to buy Piloo Nanavutty's translation (on Amazon). Then you could read Mary Boyce's Textual Sources for the Study of Zoroastrianism. You can read Dastur Dhalla's History of Zoroastrianism, tome I (M.N. Dhalla: History of Zoroastrianism (1938)), tome II (M.N. Dhalla: History of Zoroastrianism (1938), part 2) it is a very long book, interesting, it contains some faults because it is quite old and they didn't have the same resources back then.
What I can do, if you want, is to send you particular more or less long quotes according to what interests you. Just send me a PM if you are willing.

payak

i have no knowledge of them, but i have a question.
when jesus went wandering for years,is it true he returned with many beliefs that resemble zoroastrians

El_Majusi

@Venugopal: the answer is yes to the second question. For the first it is a bit complicated because Parsi refers to the Parsi culture AND religion so the question is yes, some Parsis have converted to another religion, they are still ethnic Parsis.

MD

qualiaphile
Wow a Zoroastrian forum, greetings El_Majusi glad to meet another fellow Zoroastrian.

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Zoroastrian religion needs to be more well known. I shall ask you questions now and then so that its salient features can be brought out.

1. How do you call God in your religion?
2. Is Zarathushtra the first and only prophet?
3. Is Avesta the only or main scripture?

MD

qualiaphile
Zoroastrian religion needs to be more well known. I shall ask you questions now and then so that its salient features can be brought out.

1. How do you call God in your religion?
2. Is Zarathushtra the first and only prophet?
3. Is Avesta the only or main scripture?

Honestly I am still learning a lot about my faith so I may not be completely right. I was born into Zoroastrianism but only started learning about it over the last year. So here goes

1) We officially call God Ahura Mazda, but there are other words. I believe Ahura Mazda has 101 other names, I never learnt them. We also call God Khuda (although we pronounce it as Kho-da), as it is a term that came about during Zoroastrian times

2) Zarathrustra as far as I know is our only prophet. However from my understanding Zoroastrians do not believe other faiths are wrong or that people of other faiths should be chastised in the afterlife, as long as you live by the basic edicts you should be good

3) The Avesta is our scripture, within it there are the Gathas which are the hymns of our prophet where he describes life, consciousness, humanity, God, the universe, etc . To be honest I think the Gathas should be our primary source but that is up for debate.

Hope that helped

Marco19

Researcher
Hello shahz :)

I wonder how do you understand the fact that Zoroaster kept some old deities, instead of focusing on one creator... of course believing in one G-d was essential, but still He made special position for others like Mithra.

It's look like adapting pre concepts, what do you think?

MD

qualiaphile
Hello shahz :)

I wonder how do you understand the fact that Zoroaster kept some old deities, instead of focusing on one creator... of course believing in one G-d was essential, but still He made special position for others like Mithra.

It's look like adapting pre concepts, what do you think?

I believe you're takling about the Yazatas. Most Zoroastrians see the Yazatas as angels and there are prayers to them, similar to how Catholics pray to saints. You see before Zoroaster came, most of the people in Iran/Afghanistan practiced a polytheistic religion very similar to hinduism. There were three main Gods (Indra, Mithra and Mazda) and the other gods were like Mithra, Haurvatat (Anahita) etc.

So then Zoroaster got his revelations in the Gathas, and within them he only mentions 3 main Yazatas, I believe they are Sroasha, Ashi and Adar. However Zoroaster does not refer to them as gods but as mental states or concepts. For example, Sroasha is a representation of your inner conscience, Ashi is attainment and Adar is fire, a symbol of the purest creation of Ahura Mazda. I believe what Zoroaster was saying in the gathas was pure monotheism but also had the dharmic flair of mental enlightenment and cosmic balance to it.

I think that the clergy of Zoroastrianism tried to blend in the ancient iranian faith with the gathas and hence the Yazatas were born, which are now seen as angels. But Zoroaster never told us that the Yazatas are to be worshipped, he continuously mentions that Ahura Mazda is the uncreated creator.

There are also six beings called Amesha spentas who are Ahura Mazda's divine sparks or emanations, they are more closely related in concept to the angels of Abrahamic faiths.

Marco19

Researcher
I believe what Zoroaster was saying in the gathas was pure monotheism

Thanks for respond, but let me stop at the statement above.

Is this means that all nations/religions are in fact worshiping Ahura Mazda?
if the answer is yes, then how do you understand the idea of different prophets?

-------------------------
i'm very curious to know as a Zoroastrian do you want the skyburial be part of your rituals or you think it doesn't matter anymore (specially to those who live in Metropolitan area)?

Thanks in advance :)

MD

qualiaphile
Thanks for respond, but let me stop at the statement above.

Is this means that all nations/religions are in fact worshiping Ahura Mazda?
if the answer is yes, then how do you understand the idea of different prophets?

-------------------------
i'm very curious to know as a Zoroastrian do you want the skyburial be part of your rituals or you think it doesn't matter anymore (specially to those who live in Metropolitan area)?

Thanks in advance :)

I think there is one God out there so all nations are in one way or another worshipping that same God, although each religion has its own cultural, historical, philosophical and political biases.

I can't really comment on different prophets, some might be scams, some might just be kings who became prophets and some might be legit. From the ones that are legit they are probably spiritually enlightened human beings, just like Zoroaster was.

I don't think I will have a Tower of silence burial, as i live in the west and I don't think it's very applicable in this day and age. Most people outside India and Iran have cremations as far as i know.