• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrian Scriptures - where can one get them?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Corthos

Great Old One
Bought myself this book off Amazon which was made by the European Centre for Zoroastrian Studies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1517480205?keywords=the sublime book of zarathustra&qid=1453580829&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

The organisation seems to be a Gathic Zoroastrian one.

Oh, and I got a copy for my friend who teaches RE.

How cool! I will probably get that one.... I got "The Gathas, Our Guide" not long ago, and it's a brilliant translation I feel. =) It also includes a lot of useful info that the online version doesn't have.

http://www.zarathushtra.com/z/gatha/The Gathas - AAJ.pdf

I also just got "Thus spoke Zarathushtra" by Friedrich Nietzsche today. I hear he had romanticized Zoroastrianism, and that his perceptions of it were inaccurate, but I think it will still make a fascinating and illuminating read. =)

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I also just got "Thus spoke Zarathushtra" by Friedrich Nietzsche today. I hear he had romanticized Zoroastrianism, and that his perceptions of it were inaccurate, but I think it will still make a fascinating and illuminating read. =)

You might be in for disappointment.

Corthos

Great Old One
You might be in for disappointment.

Oof... I've had no time to read it yet (maybe I should just bring it with me and read it when I have 5-15 minutes to kill). I've gotten that book you've mentioned previously (The Gathas: The Sublime Book of Zarathustra), and I like it. It's nice to have another translation to compare to the one I had. =) I might get an academic translation next to see how that compares. I think I might go for "Zarathushtra and his Antagonists: A Sociolinguistic Study" if the price drops (or I can find it used for much cheaper).

The Emperor of Mankind

Oof... I've had no time to read it yet (maybe I should just bring it with me and read it when I have 5-15 minutes to kill). I've gotten that book you've mentioned previously (The Gathas: The Sublime Book of Zarathustra), and I like it.

As do I. That said, I'd recommend taking the first half with more than a pinch of salt.

Corthos

Great Old One
As do I. That said, I'd recommend taking the first half with more than a pinch of salt.

Absolutely. I can tell the author (Khosro Khazai) has been influenced by political motivations in his translation, but I love the spiritual context of his translation, and the words he chooses to use flow better than other translations I've read. That's why I would like an academic translation.... I'd like to compare it to the first two translations I have so I can see what the common themes are, and where people have "filled in the blanks." =)

Corthos

Great Old One
Looks interesting. I love how it's $39.95 but it's £36.95 on Amazon UK. ... that's not the current £/$ conversion rate.

Sounds about right to me... That's the price of FREEDOM from British tyranny!

196455_5_.jpeg

I payed 20$ used; screw the 40$ price tag! XD

Corthos

Great Old One
Got myself a copy of the Venidad section of the Zend Avesta. The publisher is Forgotten Books.

Oh! I wonder how the Darmesteter translation compares to the one you bought (The Thiselton-Dyer translation)? Let me know how well it reads. I wasn't a fan of Mill's style (waxing poetic King James style) in the Yasna section of the Avesta (the free one online).

The Emperor of Mankind

Oh! I wonder how the Darmesteter translation compares to the one you bought (The Thiselton-Dyer translation)? Let me know how well it reads. I wasn't a fan of Mill's style (waxing poetic King James style) in the Yasna section of the Avesta (the free one online).

The Darmesteter translation is the one I've got. Unfortunately Volume 3 of the Darmesteter's translation (the one that contains the Yasna) is out of print and I don't know if they're planning to print more.

Edit: Actually I've just checked Amazon UK; they're out of the Forgotten Books prints but they have other copies available. Sadly, this book is translated by Lawrence Mills and even on the basic Amazon review there are noticeable mistakes.

And yeah, I think Darmesteter probably waxes KJV-lyrical to the same extent. That's the impression I got from the first few verses of the second Fargard.

Fargard 2 - Yima (Gamshed)

1. Zarathustra asked Ahura Mazda
O Ahura Mazda, most beneficent spirit, Maker of the material world, thou Holy One!
Who was the first mortal before myself, Zarathustra with whom thou, Ahura Mazda, didst convers, whom thou didst teach the law of Ahura, the law of Zarathustra?
2. Ahura Mazda answered:
The fair Yima, the great shepherd O holy Zarathustra! he was the first mortal before thee, Zarathustra, with whom I, Ahura Mazda, did converse, whom I taught the law of Ahura, the law of Zarathustra.

Last edited: