• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zoroastrian Prayer

Aamer

Truth Seeker
Hello,
I'm looking for answers on Zoroastrian prayer. I am starting to believe that many of the religious practices & rituals of Muslims are taken from other religions. So I'm not trying to bash any religion. I'm genuinely seeking answers. I have seen a few YouTube clips of Zoroastrian prayer. But I have 2 specific questions if anyone knows the answer:

1) Do Zoroastrians pray 5 times a day?

2) Is the prayer broken up into units?

Thanks in advance.

MD

qualiaphile
Hello Aamer, I will try to answer your questions as best as I can.

We are supposed to pray 5 times a day. I am more of a Zoroastrian philosophically rather than religiously, although I was born into the faith, so I don't know all the prayers unfortunately. Each time has its own set of prayers and they match the times of Islamist prayers. The prayers are broken into Units.

The Persian/Urdu word for namaz is actually a Zoroastrian word.

The five daily prayers/namáz/nemö and the Month of Bahman in Zoroastrianism | Authentic Gatha Zoroastrianism

If you have any further questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:

Aamer

Truth Seeker
Thank you brother,
That was so helpful, you have no idea! Do you happen to know anything else about the units? How many units for each prayer? Thank you.

Aamer.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Persian/Urdu word for namaz is actually a Zoroastrian word.
Is not the same as 'Namah' in Hinduism? The Indo-Aryans also were supposed to pray before the house-hold fire five times a day. It was lighted at the time of marriage and extinguished only on the demise of one of the partners. I think it was known as one of the three perpetual fires (Nitya-agni). I am trying to find more about them.

"The Aupasana Agni, lit at the time of the Yajna conducted at the grooms wedding, is divided into two in a ritual called Agnyadhana. One part is called the Grhyagni and the other the Srautagni. These two fires have to be preserved throughout an individual's life. The son's fire is lit from the father's fire at the time of his wedding. The Grhyagni or Aupasanagni is used in the Paka (cooking) Yajnas. Many such rituals are described in the Grihasutras, like the Ekagni Kanda of the Apastambha Sutra. Normally these fires are located in the centre or north of the hall which accommodates them." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yajna#Types

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think 'Pak Yajnas' associated with Grahyagni/garpatyagni were simply preparation of food for the family. Even today in Hindu households, before starting to make rotis/bread, the house wife throws a small ball of dough in the fire for Gods. Perhaps in the Vedic time, they mumbled some prayer while doing it. I have not been able to get it.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I think I am not correct about five time prayer among Aryans. It was more like two times. I suppose 'Sandhyas' as it happens now in Hinduism, morning and evening. 'Sandhya' is meeting (Sandhi), when the night meets the day and when the day meets the night. I think I should not insert any more Hinduism in Zoroastrian forum, so I leave with best wishes to Zoroastrians..

MD

qualiaphile
Thank you brother,
That was so helpful, you have no idea! Do you happen to know anything else about the units? How many units for each prayer? Thank you.

Aamer.

Hi Aamer,

Sorry for my late reply, I am very busy and as the only Zoroastrian on this site it's not easy putting replies. Here you go:
AVESTA: KHORDA AVESTA: Gahs (prayers for each period of the day)

That site describes all the prayers to you. I'm not really sure what you meant by units.

Please don't hestitate to ask any more questions.