• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zonked Out Zombies and Mathew's Muddle

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I noticed a discussion of the following in another forum some time back ...
  • 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
  • 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
  • 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
So, if I understand this correctly, "many bodies of the saints which slept arose" when Jesus 'died' and "came out of the graves after his resurrection", i.e., some three days later. What do you think these risen zombies were doing in the grave all this time?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Deut. 32.8 said:
I noticed a discussion of the following in another forum some time back ...
  • 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
  • 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
  • 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.
So, if I understand this correctly, "many bodies of the saints which slept arose" when Jesus 'died' and "came out of the graves after his resurrection", i.e., some three days later. What do you think these risen zombies were doing in the grave all this time?
eating BRAINSSSSS:D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
jimbob said:
They were dead. Then they were risen back to life. I think thats the jist of the passage.
It takes a more than discernment to embrace the jist of the passage while ignoring its more embarrassing attributes. :)

true blood

Matthew 27:52 and 53 are clearly added by scribes. Manuscript 354 in Venice, Italy omits these verses. 52 and 53 of Matthew 27 dates from the fourth century A.D. These verses must be an addition since they are contradictory to other scriptures which teach us that the dead are dead and will remain so until Christ returns. Until that time, only Christ has been raised bodily from death unto everlasting life. Textual critics as well as marginal notes in other old manuscripts have recognized these verses as later interpolations.

The phrase "after his resurrection" in Matthew 27:53 demonstrates the passage is totally out of context, obviously a scribal addition.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
true blood said:
Matthew 27:52 and 53 are clearly added by scribes. Manuscript 354 in Venice, Italy omits these verses.
I must admit to being tentatively impressed. Please supply references on this manuscript and its estimated date range.

Parenthetically, are you claiming that both verses were later additions? :D

true blood

Yes I'm claiming both verses were later additions. I'm sure you can tell that the two verses are clearly out of context. I'm guessing that it was a book about Josephus Complete Works or War?? When I'm 100% sure I will post it. It was probably a book written about Josephus or some other guy who wrote positively about Christ...novum testmenteum comes to mind but it has been quite some time since I was a critic of the bible and I remember some of the arguments I discovered like this topic you posted but it was back in high school when I read the information and I never thought to make a list of all the books. I didn't actually read the manuscript in Italy. It was listed as a reference but the name of the book elludes me. I've read alot of them. Doubt you'll believe me but not my prob. I don't have a library of all the collections I've read but just remember alot of the out of context verses and manuscript numbers and so on. Now I'm thinking it was a book on the myths of manuscript evidence. Clearly I'm not certain and to be honest Deut, I feel that any reference I post would only be declared un-scholarly or laughable or occult like by you. You are kind of intimidating.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
true blood said:
It was listed as a reference but the name of the book elludes me. I've read alot of them. Doubt you'll believe me but not my prob. I don't have a library of all the collections I've read but just remember alot of the out of context verses and manuscript numbers and so on.
As I suspected. I can find no reference to it and you have zero knowledge of its date or character. Meanwhile, obvious references to the zombie tradition appear in
  • Epistle of Ignatius to the Magnesians
  • Epistle of Ignatius to the Trallians
  • Fragments from the Lost Writings of Irenaeus
  • Clement of Alexandria Stromata Book VI
  • Hippolytus Refutation of All Heresies Book V
  • Excerpt on Edessa from the History of the Church
  • Origen Commentary on Matthew Book XII
  • Gospel of Nicodemus II The Descent of Christ into Hell
When you have something substantive, we'll chat.

DeepShadow

White Crow
Hee hee, that's funny! Brrrrraaaaaiins!!!

If you're looking for an explanation, here's mine:

"I believe the bible as it came from the pen of the original writers, but...ignorant translators, careless transcribers, or designing and corrupt priests have committed many errors.” Joseph Smith (HC 1: 245; 6: 57.)