• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zombies Descend on G20 Summit

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Louis wasn't an allegory to being LGBT. I've never heard that take before. Rice's vampires are pretty openly bisexual.
I'm not talking about the characters themselves (Though they totally are a same-sex couple, says the Word of God(TM) http://io9.gizmodo.com/5952076/anne...and-lestat-are-a-same-sex-couple-with-a-child ), but an allegory as a story narrative. The same could be said of some archs of X-Men being an allegory for LGBT life. But vampire as an oppressed minority and later specifically as LGBT was a big topic when IwaV came out.
http://scholarworks.uno.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1135&context=ellipsis
Vampires Are Us
5 ways Anne Rice Rewrites Vampire History Into the (Queer) Present | The Artifice

I thought the I Am Legend book was boring.
Matter of taste. But I Am Legend is a classic horror story, with a lot more to say than most current horror media, imo. Some people think Mary Shelly's Frankenstein is boring, too. :shrug: (I'm not one of them. Being wordy, or having a theme outside action doesn't make boring in my book.)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Underworld wasn't really teenagerish as it was soldier fights for good but discovers good is actually bad.
That could be the summary title for every YA dystopia. ;) I'm just saying...Underworld didn't have much substance. Which is fine for an silly action romp. But I'd rather watch...Well, Matrix.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm not talking about the characters themselves (Though they totally are a same-sex couple, says the Word of God(TM) http://io9.gizmodo.com/5952076/anne...and-lestat-are-a-same-sex-couple-with-a-child ), but an allegory as a story narrative. The same could be said of some archs of X-Men being an allegory for LGBT life. But vampire as an oppressed minority and later specifically as LGBT was a big topic when IwaV came out.
http://scholarworks.uno.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1135&context=ellipsis
Vampires Are Us
5 ways Anne Rice Rewrites Vampire History Into the (Queer) Present | The Artifice
I can see how people may it that way but so think that's people reading into it things from the culture. Rice has said that the vampires are nihilistic lost souls. The books are about searching for meaning in a life where it alludes us. They're bored, depressive, angst-ridden creatures. Many of them commit suicide or are given to hedonism to escape the ennui.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I liked it (all of the movies too) and think they are much better than any other vampire genre movies.... by a long shot. Never heard of I am Legend, but considered it as a working title for my biography. :)
Meeeeeeeeh. I'm not sure what's the best vampire movie, but Underworld was not it for me. I'd honestly rather watch Daybreaker. At least it had something to say. Or even Interview with a Vampire, although the message wasn't really directed at me.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I can see how people may it that way but so think that's people reading into it things from the culture. Rice has said that the vampires are nihilistic lost souls. The books are about searching for meaning in a life where it alludes us.
Well, reading into culture surrounding the popularizing of a genre is a big part of both literature and film critic life. But I don't think they were entirely unfounded, especially in Rice's case as she has out and out talked about LGBT as it relates to her fiction too, and says that she felt honored by people appreciating it as a LGBT allegory (even moreso after her son came out of the closet, and during the AIDS crisis.) I don't think it's reading too much into it, but I do think mileage may vary.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Which is fine for an silly action romp.
That's pretty much all I've seen it as, a silly action romp with vampires with cool blue eyes, werewolves with some awesome looking transformations, pvc clothing, and plenty of blood and gore. The mindless flick for those who'd rather their mindlessness be of vampires and werewolves than silly cars super soldiers or super heroes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure, if Trump had a meme taking a zombie to the floor and wailing on them nobody would be complaining right?

images
I'll bet your left one that CNN would complain....calling him an "anti-walkerite".