• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Zombie" threads...

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
I must admit that I was put to task some time back...that I too often referenced my own instigated threads as rebuttal, hoping to avoid repeating myself in considered response again, and again, and again, and again....

I was informed that "older" threads were now "zombie threads". Unread, unloved, moot.

Just asking, and as far as I know...there is no "wrong" answer to this specified inquiry...but does there come a time when a thread no longer offers any sort of a valid reply? Is this simply a matter of momentary attention spans, or an unwillingness to explore the depths of the interwebs beyond "liked" cat videos on YouTube, Vimeo, or Twitter from the last 30 days or so?

I'm kinda old (interwebs speaking).

Just when does a thoughtful premise "expire" beyond a presumptive "sell by" date?

How many days/weeks/months?

I swear, I'd really like to know...because, in the long run...I really hate repeating myself for those that are just late to class (again).

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I must admit that I was put to task some time back...that I too often referenced my own instigated threads as rebuttal, hoping to avoid repeating myself in considered response again, and again, and again, and again....

I was informed that "older" threads were now "zombie threads". Unread, unloved, moot.
Are these older threads still accessible? If you remember an opinion or other response from 9 years ago and where to find it here, I'd simply copy and paste the sucker.

I mean, if your viewpoint is still the same, why not just cannibalize the old thread? Saves time and it makes you sound consistent, at least.

Just asking, and as far as I know...there is no "wrong" answer to this specified inquiry...but does there come a time when a thread no longer offers any sort of a valid reply? Is this simply a matter of momentary attention spans, or an unwillingness to explore the depths of the interwebs beyond "liked" cat videos on YouTube, Vimeo, or Twitter from the last 30 days or so?

Just when does a thoughtful premise "expire" beyond a presumptive "sell by" date?

I swear, I'd really like to know...because, in the long run...I really hate repeating myself for those that are just late to class (again).
I've seen you revive threads of old on more than one occasion and sometimes the same thread has been brought back to life more than once.

I think the Frankenstein effect can work just fine. You know, bigger, faster, stronger?

I pay attention. Go for it, bro!

s2a

Are these older threads still accessible? If you remember an opinion or other response from 9 years ago and where to find it here, I'd simply copy and paste the sucker.

I mean, if your viewpoint is still the same, why not just cannibalize the old thread? Saves time and it makes you sound consistent, at least.

I've seen you revive threads of old on more than one occasion and sometimes the same thread has been brought back to life more than once.

I think the Frankenstein effect can work just fine. You know, bigger, faster, stronger?

*creak*

Don't touch my snifter again. I'm just a drunken crank and wistful fool seeking support from this happenstance bar-stool affixed to what seems to be a wooden floor.

Hmmm...what?

Oh...perhaps soon. ")

I feel so undead at this moment.

Arrrrrr......

Buttercup

Veteran Member
*creak*

Don't touch my snifter again. I'm just a drunken crank and wistful fool seeking support from this happenstance bar-stool affixed to what seems to be a wooden floor.

Hmmm...what?

Oh...perhaps soon. ")

I feel so undead at this moment.

Arrrrrr......
Be careful. You might consider calling a taxi. I hear there may be checkpoints on the way to the bedroom. The floor is a hard taskmaster. har har.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

This. I copy pasta from old posts. Now grave digging... depends on the thread and topic. Some are valuable and deserve fresh opinions. Others are full of less than inspired or inspiring rants by 'departed' (banned) members and should moulder undisturbed.

s2a

This. I copy pasta from old posts. Now grave digging... depends on the thread and topic. Some are valuable and deserve fresh opinions. Others are full of less than inspired or inspiring rants by 'departed' (banned) members and should moulder undisturbed.

So...no shovel necessary then?

"Moulder" so recalls "Fester" from the Aadams family.

Reruns suck, I know.

I'll cancel Netflix and "Nick at Night" for you without any further obligations on your part.

You are welcome.

...since Jan. 2009 anyways...:)

Enjoy the residuals...

s2a

Be careful. You might consider calling a taxi. I hear there may be checkpoints on the way to the bedroom. The floor is a hard taskmaster. har har.

I shall always rejoice in the notion that I can not fall off the floor (again).

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason

Very few threads hold my attention past 30 to 50 posts. Do I have a short attention span? Do most threads become nothing more than broken records after the first few posts? Most insight is in the first few responses from each person I think.

As far as referring to an old post, I see nothing wrong with that as long as you reference a particular post and not just the whole thread.

s2a

Very few threads hold my attention past 30 to 50 posts. Do I have a short attention span? Do most threads become nothing more than broken records after the first few posts? Most insight is in the first few responses from each person I think.

Most generally, I tend to agree. After 50 posts or so, it's almost like playing some "phone-game". The rhetoric and jabber is so far removed from the OP as it eventually becomes pointless.

"Physics?! But what about abortion?!"

Doh.

As far as referring to an old post, I see nothing wrong with that as long as you reference a particular post and not just the whole thread.
Fair enough. This is why (and whenever I reference my own, or another's "zombie thread"), it is focused upon the OP itself (which remains the point of discussion/debate).

I can only promise that in any instance I refer to one of my own "zombie threads", it begins at the OP. Not a promise that you may find it relevant, or worthy of reply, but there ya go. :)