• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zionism

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Which are your thoughts on it?
I came back today from touring archaeological sites including an ancient synagogue and a modern Israeli brewery in the Golan Heights. Studying our ancient heritage while supporting one of our local breweries is the perfect case study of Zionist activity as far as I am concerned.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I came back today from touring archaeological sites including an ancient synagogue and a modern Israeli brewery in the Golan Heights. Studying our ancient heritage while supporting one of our local breweries is the perfect case study of Zionist activity as far as I am concerned.
Perfect indeed.
(Next time my wife and I get over there, let's meet in Zichron Yaakov.)​

Me Myself

Back to my username
Could you tell me more about what it is?

The only things I ve heard of it is that it has something to do with the situation on Israel right now (of which I know very little to nothing)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Sure. Zichron Yaakov is a lovely town about 20 minutes NNE of Caesarea. It's the birthplace of both the Carmel Winery and the Nili spy ring. See, for example ...

9789652294166_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg

:)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

The only things I ve heard of it is that it has something to do with the situation on Israel right now (of which I know very little to nothing)
In broad terms Zionism is the ideological idea to establish a Jewish national home land. Since this major goal has been established 65 years ago, Zionism today can be attached to various other ideologies which sustain a prosperous existence for the State of Israel.
In this sense, preserving and discovering ancient Jewish heritage in this land, or supporting a local brewery can both be a minor form of Zionism motivated activities. I say this only because of how your thread is attached to Zionism. In everyday jargon I would call it pride, perhaps patriotism, legacy, etc. Zionism is a technical term which is not commonly used in Israel in everyday discussion outside certain political discourses.

Levite

Higher and Higher
It's still used outside of Israel, mostly in terms of the need for Jews in the lands of exile to keep supporting the State of Israel; or by religious Zionists (who are not all Orthodox) to frame the existence and continuation of the State of Israel as, in some way, shape, or form, a holy endeavor.

Flankerl

"Zionism (Hebrew: ציונות‎, Tsiyonut; Arabic: صهيونية‎, Ṣahyūniyya) is a form of nationalism of Jews and Jewish culture that supports a Jewish nation state in the territory defined as the Land of Israel.

s: wikipedia.org"

Me Myself

Back to my username
"Zionism (Hebrew: ציונות‎, Tsiyonut; Arabic: صهيونية‎, Ṣahyūniyya) is a form of nationalism of Jews and Jewish culture that supports a Jewish nation state in the territory defined as the Land of Israel.

s: wikipedia.org"

Any personal opinion or associations about it?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I support Zionists, because one day I also want to go back to my country which is in the US but will probably involve some folks like me all moving to some State or region and then succeeding from the Union. I am so sick of the politicians choaking the life out of freedom lovers here in California, I too want to join in a Zionist movement to return to my homeland... the only thing is, I don't know where that is. It might be Saxon England, but that ship has sailed. Perhaps somewhere ....

Om Namah Sivaya

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Actually in all seriousness, some of my ancestors were Kings of Jerusalem. Not Jewish, but invaders from Europe fighting Islam and that sort of thing. One was a Leper King (he had leprosy). So that is another reason I am sentimental to Zionism and Israel. I have never been to Israel, but one day I will.

To the Kings.

Om Namah Sivaya