• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zeus vs. God

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Well, Greeks and Romans refered to Zeus as God, so I suspect Christians, Muslims, and Jews would first have to refer to their god as Yahweh or Allah to not confuse individual's beliefs! :D

If they were all real? Interesting thought. I imagine some major clash of power!

Round 1: Jesus v. Zeus
Jesus starts out by walking across the Mediterranean to reach Zeus at Mt. Olympos. But oh no! Zeus has just flung one of his lightning bolts at Zeus, and because of water contact Jesus has now lost 30 HP. Wait, what is this? Oh my God/Gods/Goddesses! The Angels of Heaven are pinning Zeus down! And at ringside Mary has got Athena in a head-lock!

klubbhead024

GeneCosta said:
Jesus starts out by walking across the Mediterranean to reach Zeus at Mt. Olympos. But oh no! Zeus has just flung one of his lightning bolts at Zeus, and because of water contact Jesus has now lost 30 HP. Wait, what is this? Oh my God/Gods/Goddesses! The Angels of Heaven are pinning Zeus down! And at ringside Mary has got Athena in a head-lock!

Round 2:
Thor comes running in and claps the thunder so loud that the angels halos burst and they are rendered helpless. Zeus arises

Mike182

Flaming Queer
klubbhead024 said:
Suppose that the mythical Greek gods were as real as God is. What do you think the effect would be on people?

i suspect people will just make sure they are neither stood out in the open, nor next to anything conductive of electricity, when they are about to make slanderous comments about Zeus :D

Ozzie

klubbhead024 said:
Suppose that the mythical Greek gods were as real as God is. What do you think the effect would be on people?
We would all have to make way for more religious heros. BTW, the Greek gods would be discredited by contemporary scientific understanding of natural phenomena. Whilst God is under attack from science, those with respect for religious belief have been striving for the past couple of centuries to find a way for God to coexist with science. Pity for the Greek gods that science as a paradigm was not developed around 2500 years ago.

Oz

Zephyr

Moved on
zombieharlot said:
Excuse my mental lapse. The Norse Goddess.
Ok cool. Not so much a goddess as a bunch of killer minions of a goddess. They would be able to deal quite a bit of damage, but they really wouldn't stand much a chance against a god. Mortals, on the other hand, are screwed.

Circle_One

GeneCosta said:
Well, Greeks and Romans refered to Zeus as God, so I suspect Christians, Muslims, and Jews would first have to refer to their god as Yahweh or Allah to not confuse individual's beliefs! :D

If they were all real? Interesting thought. I imagine some major clash of power!

Zeus was the Greek God, Jupiter the Roman God.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I imagine the Greeks would be the most surprised, as their actual conception of deities differed drastically from the so-called Greek pantheon and the myths most of us grew up learning about that are called Greek. Most of what passes for "Greek mythology" was created in the 17th-19th centuries by armchair academics who couldn't conceive of the idea of a religion that had no real belief system and what might be identified as part of a cultural store of religious knowledge of myths and legends existed mostly for entertainment purposes, being freely altered and adapted both within the various religious traditions (that themselves changed from village to village or city to city as well as over time) and so created a kind of substitute bible-like store of myths out of Homeric epic and Greek authors (and did the same for the Romans too).

Heyo

Veteran Member
I imagine the Greeks would be the most surprised, as their actual conception of deities differed drastically from the so-called Greek pantheon and the myths most of us grew up learning about that are called Greek. Most of what passes for "Greek mythology" was created in the 17th-19th centuries by armchair academics who couldn't conceive of the idea of a religion that had no real belief system and what might be identified as part of a cultural store of religious knowledge of myths and legends existed mostly for entertainment purposes, being freely altered and adapted both within the various religious traditions (that themselves changed from village to village or city to city as well as over time) and so created a kind of substitute bible-like store of myths out of Homeric epic and Greek authors (and did the same for the Romans too).
And all the allegedly ancient temples and other places of worship are fake too?